The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-28-2020, 05:11 PM
Charter Member

Default 12 Fret vs 14 Fret Short Scale

Hi folks,

Please help me understand the acoustic and playing differences between a short scale (000/OM size) where the neck joins the body at the 12th fret, compared to the (otherwise) same guitar with the only difference being the neck joining to the body at the 14th fret. Intuitively (all other things being the same) I would think that a 14-fret short scale is somewhere in between a 12-fret short scale and a 14-fret long scale (acoustically, playing, string tension, etc), but that's why I'm asking the experts here on AGF. I'm primarily a strummer.

THANKS!
Old 07-28-2020, 06:14 PM

One difference is that on a 12 fret the bridge will be placed further back, generally in the center of the lower bout, which creates more vibration on the top. Bracing patterns and scalloping will determine the sound of a guitar as well. String tension never concerned me. I honestly dont think about it when switching from my dread to my 000 or parlor.
Old 07-28-2020, 06:20 PM

Your inquiry is a lot like asking what the differences are between a Gala apple and a Honeycrisp apple. While they are both apples, their tastes and texture differences are going to be pretty nuanced. I'm primarily a strummer as well, and I own a small collection of 000 and OM guitars and alternate playing them with ease with no specific preferences.

Some people say the OM is more for strumming and the OOO is more for fingerstyle due to the longer scale length of the OM generally speaking. I don't find that to be true. Some people say a short scale guitar is easier to play for the fretting hand compared to a long scale. I don't find that to be true either. The sound differences between an OM and 000 are probably more related to the woods being used and the bracing pattern.

There are tons of threads on here that delve into more differences and player preferences as well as information on youtube. Best bet is to play a few of these guitars and see which one says "take me home".

2000 Martin D-18GE
2019 Martin OM-28
2020 Martin OOO-18GE Custom
1997 Fender Stratocaster American Deluxe
1930’s Dobro/Regal Resophonic Guitar
Old 07-29-2020, 04:46 AM

The playing differences: A little longer reach for your fingers, particularly in the first position. I’ve got a jacked up pinky finger that isn’t as nimble as it once was, and scale length makes a minor difference. Quality of setup has much more of an effect on “playing effort” than the minor differences in tension between a short and long scale.

Acoustic (tonal) differences. The maker has much more influence on the tone than the scale length. Tonal difference will be minor. In the case of a 12 vs 14 fret, the 12 fret usually causes your picking hand to naturally land slightly farther from the bridge; giving a “thicker” tone. Play any guitar right next to the bridge, and at the 12th fret to hear an exaggeration of the difference.
Old 07-29-2020, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wguitar View Post
Hi folks,

Please help me understand the acoustic and playing differences between a short scale (000/OM size) where the neck joins the body at the 12th fret, compared to the (otherwise) same guitar with the only difference being the neck joining to the body at the 14th fret. Intuitively (all other things being the same) I would think that a 14-fret short scale is somewhere in between a 12-fret short scale and a 14-fret long scale (acoustically, playing, string tension, etc), but that's why I'm asking the experts here on AGF. I'm primarily a strummer.

THANKS!
You've got some good information so far, but the problem is if you're looking at the same model of guitar in both 12 and 14 fret neck joins you'll find the bodies are usually substantially different, even though the model designation is the same. The 14 fret neck join is normally accompanied with a much shorter body length.

Comparison of similar models by different manufacturers may include scale length differences, but the body lengths will often follow the "normal" associations. You can probably figure out that a shorter or longer body, paired with different bracing and bridge positions are going to make a 12 and 14 fret guitar of the same model by the same manufacturer very different animals.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion