The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-27-2020, 08:44 PM

Default Outdoor gig - super humid - suggestions?

I have a gig Wednesday night for a dinner. I'll be playing solo guitar instrumentals from 8:30 til 11:00. Due to social distancing it is outside under a tent. It is going to be hot and HUMID.

Normally I'd take my good guitars - my hand made Dell'Arte dreadnaught, Dauphin classic, and Gibson L-5. But for this gig I'm leaving those home and will probably just take by G&L Legacy (a clone of a Strat). I just know how gunked up guitars can get at outdoor humid gigs.

I'll bring a couple fans, and a couple rags (one for the guitar, and one for me).

Any other suggestions for battling the humidity?

Thanks!
Old 07-27-2020, 09:03 PM

For you or for the guitars?

I play outdoor humid gigs all the time and I just us my regular guitars (Martin D-18 or Taylor 314ce).

The only thing I do is use a soft microfiber cloth to dry the sweat off the guitar and to wipe the strings after the gig.

As far as humidity and it’s affect on the player, drink plenty of water before the gig as well as during. Also keep a separate towel to wipe sweat off your hands, face, etc. Keep another one solely to use on the guitar.
2004 Fender Telecaster MIM
2010 Martin DCX1RE
1984 Sigma DM3
Fender Mustang III v2
Old 07-27-2020, 09:25 PM

If you want to bring your nice guitars, you could do so and rotate them so that each is spending an hour or whatever in it’s case with some silica gel desiccant was I suck up the moisture. Play one for a while, then pop it in its case to dry out.
Old 07-27-2020, 10:05 PM

I've played em. We did one of those outdoor festival gigs in South Georgia a while back. I was drenched in sweat and the gnats swarmed around me like a cloud. I felt like pigpen from Charlie Brown.

Drink a lot of water. Bring extra towels. Some baby powder on your hands helps. The thing that saved me, I'm quite sure, was playing coated strings. Elixir's in my case. At least I was still able to keep my fingers moving.

Best of luck!
Old 07-28-2020, 04:54 AM

Invest in a carbon fiber...there are incredible options available these days...
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 07-28-2020, 05:20 AM

No matter how high the humidity is, it is not going to affect the wood of the guitar during a single gig.
Old 07-28-2020, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rpt50 View Post
No matter how high the humidity is, it is not going to affect the wood of the guitar during a single gig.
My guess as well.

Also - I cut off part of a sheer stocking and slide it over my right arm where it touched the guitar. Not too hot and it provides a barrier between me and the finish.

The fans will help immensely.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Goodman J45 Lutz/fiddleback Mahogany
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 07-28-2020, 06:09 AM

I don't think 'American Pie' would sound right on a Strat , bring your good acoustic guitars and don't worry about it. Just put them in the case when not used.
Old 07-28-2020, 06:43 AM

I've done quite a few jobs in this kind of weather. I don't know if you're like me, but I generate a lot of heat when I'm playing.

The worse one was in the sun, without any covering in 89/90f degree heat. That was brutal, but it paid good.

Don't worry about your good guitars. They'll be ok. It'll be cooler at night anyway.

But definitely bring at least one fan though, a few towels and plenty of water.

Something to cover your forearm maybe a really good idea! That will help keep the arm spooge off the top of your guitars. (Nitro almost NEEDS this, it's so easy to damage that stuff)
Old 07-28-2020, 06:48 AM
Charter Member

Shouldn't be any problem at all to bring your good acoustic guitars to an outdoor gig. The hardest part is going to be keeping you cool and sweat off your guitars. I would invest in one of the construction style fans like the one in the link below. You wouldn't believe how much air they move and how much they'll cool you down.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/BlueDri-PRO...Fan/1000793862
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 07-28-2020, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rpt50 View Post
This. I think us internet forum freakaziods sometimes exaggeate dangers that we all read about here. I lived and gigged in Arizona for 35 years. Everyone thinks it's always dry there, but July-Sept is a monsoon season. 100 degrees plus humidity. So you just treat the gear like yourself, maximize shade and moving air. You and the guitars will survive.
Old 07-28-2020, 07:28 AM

I'm not worried about long term issues with my guitars from one gig. I'm more reluctant to get them gunked up and sticky. I know I can clean them later. I just would rather not get them so wet, sticky, etc.

Also, play-ability. I think I'll try FingerEase as I've heard that helps in sticky/humid weather.
Old 07-28-2020, 07:36 AM
Charter Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbone View Post
Invest in a carbon fiber...there are incredible options available these days...
+ 1 !!!!!!!!
Old 07-28-2020, 07:45 AM
Eric Skye

This is a great time for coated strings
Old 07-28-2020, 08:45 AM
Guitar Gourmet

I'm reminded of a solo wedding gig I played on the shore of the Lynnhaven Inlet, just at the northern tip of the Dismal Swamp. I call it my "Boot Camp Wedding Gig." Read and weep or giggle along with me. Tone Finger Ease helps some, baby powder (cornstarch) helps others. One thing: do NOT use bug spray with a nitro finish. Another: don't wear cologne. Maybe you should go out today and try out the various methods to ease the heat and humidity and see if they work for you.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion