The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-23-2020, 11:20 AM
Charter Member

I think it’s pure tradition, with no real good reason - I used to believe that the cases were kept an odd shape so they wouldn’t be placed on the bottom of a pile of other boxes and crates - especially arch top cases, their irregular shape made them most likely to get put at or near the top of a pile. But a more rectangular case, built with the same technology as the high-end cases currently available, and internally braced and compartmentalized to provide the rigidity and strength required, could not just make a stronger case, but would also offer storage space for a bunch of the peripherals that you want to carry but can be hard to fit in a standard case - strings, capo, tuner, strap, cable, battery, cloth, pick case, humidifier, etc. Yes, after you add all those things into the case, it might start to weigh more, but it’s a trade-off I’d be happy with -

Besides, I can’t imagine it weighing any more than some of these Ameritage cases, even loaded to the max -
Old 07-23-2020, 11:23 AM

For the times that I used the 22 pound rectangular SKB case when flying, I took comfort in knowing that the "airline baggage maulers" could not immediately spot it as a guitar to deliberately abuse. The downside is that it looks much like a big rifle case.

Last edited by Earl49; 07-23-2020 at 11:36 AM. Reason: tpyo fixed
Old 07-24-2020, 03:01 PM

Oh, I wish acoustic guitar cases were rectangular. I'd rather a case look like luggage than something that screams "there's a guitar in here." There would be more room on the inside and it would be easier to pack and stack, too.

On the other hand, sometimes I want to ride to the range on my motorcycle, so I'll pack my rifle into my guitar shaped gig bag and strap it to my back so I don't scare the muggles.
Old 07-24-2020, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramesses View Post
I know electric guitar cases are often rectangular. And I've seen skb makes a flight case for acoustics thats rectangular, but why aren't more/most acoustic guitar cases squared off? Guitar cases are a very awkward shape and I don't think they save any space and likely only increase cost with their shape. There must be a reasoning that I haven't considered?
Acoustic guitars are deeper - top to bottom - than teles strats LPs etc etc etc. Often wider too. Rectangular case for an acoustic would be bulkier and heavier than a shaped case.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion