The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-21-2020, 09:25 PM

Default Identify Song from a Martin D-28 Vintage vs New Aged

Anyone know what the first / primary song is from this great comparison video?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZX8zui72fXQ
Old 07-22-2020, 02:22 AM
Charter Member

The player is Matt Chulka from Eddies guitars
and I believe it is his own creation.
Ask him directly ?
Old 07-22-2020, 10:03 AM
Charter Member

Seems like a standard progression.
Old 07-22-2020, 11:14 AM
Charter Member

Welcome to the AGF

Pretty certain that is Matt's own noodling.

And the D-28A Aged takes that contest in a landslide. Forward shifted scalloped bracing vs the tapered bracing of a 1963. Tonally very different as you heard.

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4100 shipped
Old 07-22-2020, 12:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brencat View Post
Welcome to the AGF

Pretty certain that is Matt's own noodling.

And the D-28A Aged takes that contest in a landslide. Forward shifted scalloped bracing vs the tapered bracing of a 1963. Tonally very different as you heard.
Yes I agree. I don't think that's a fair fight. Matching the D28AA against an actual pre-war would be a better contest.
Old 07-23-2020, 09:02 PM

Thanks for the warm welcome brencat!

Thanks all - that's what I thought - that video is Matt playing around with some simple chord runs. Just sounded great, and I was able to figure it out

On the topic of the guitars displayed, I have GAS.

I'm researching and preparing to buy my first Martin and my first D. I'm ready to go big or go home, so here are some ideas.

Option 1 (~$8,999)
New Martin d-45 2020 Reimagined - Brand new; I love those open-back tuners. I am and have been in love with the pearl for a while and originally started with my mind set that this is the next big purchase.

Option 2 (~$7,999)
New 1937 Martin d-28AA as seen in that video. In researching the d-45, price-wise I'm comparing to this.

Option 3 (~$6,000)
Vintage 1947-1969 d-28 (Braz) that lands approx in or below the price ranges above. A 63 such as shown in the video could be had for probably less than $6k ? possibly?

I believe all three will give me the vibe i'm seeking - big D sound.

I am not the type to buy things and sell soon - I will likely buy and hold this for the rest of my playing life.

I play finger style, but really want to get learning bluegrass and have started.

I have no experience playing or buying vintage (and understand it's possible to buy a head-ache, and that scares the bejeezus out of me).

I currently own a Taylor K24CE Koa beauty.
I also own a Taylor NS72ce cedar nylon wonder.

The stable is in need of a Martin and in need of a D.

If people think I have more money than brains to spend this kind of money on a guitar, that's ok with me - they are probably right. I work hard, and what else can I do in life but enjoy every day?

If you had the cash to invest in yourself, and wanted that vintage D sound what's would be your idea?
Old 07-23-2020, 09:06 PM

PS that : Fingerboard Diamonds and Squares Long Pattern inlay in the 1937 d28AA is stunning to see.

Whenever I see a < '46 I always look for those beauties
Old 07-24-2020, 08:04 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robkoa View Post
On the topic of the guitars displayed, I have GAS.

I'm researching and preparing to buy my first Martin and my first D. I'm ready to go big or go home, so here are some ideas.

Option 1 (~$8,999)
New Martin d-45 2020 Reimagined - Brand new; I love those open-back tuners. I am and have been in love with the pearl for a while and originally started with my mind set that this is the next big purchase.

Option 2 (~$7,999)
New 1937 Martin d-28AA as seen in that video. In researching the d-45, price-wise I'm comparing to this.

Option 3 (~$6,000)
Vintage 1947-1969 d-28 (Braz) that lands approx in or below the price ranges above. A 63 such as shown in the video could be had for probably less than $6k ? possibly?
All 3 of these guitars have pluses and minuses. Martin Style 40 and above sound very different to Style 28 or the Authentics. There is a certain shimmer to the tone -- it could be from the extra routing channels that are cut to accommodate the bling, it could also be from using Martin's best woods. You don't see Style 40+ used in bluegrass that much because these guitars tend to have a lot of overtones but less projection.

The D-28 Authentic Aged is said to be in the top 5 best modern Martins built in the last couple decades. Ignoring the light relicing job, the key attribute is the ultra thin finish used on these guitars, that you can only get on the Aged version, which makes them very resonant and open sounding. But the D-28A and D-28A Aged also have one potential negative, and that is the unusually shaped neck, which is super thin in 1st position and quickly becomes bat-thick above the 5th fret. Many players, including myself, who like to move around the fretboard, find this to be an unnecessary distraction to clean playing.

Going vintage -- I have no experience here, but many of these guitars have the 1 11/16 nut and a lot of players including myself prefer 1 3/4. You said you may use it for fingerstyle... 2 1/8 string spacing is kinda tight for that. And yes, there are potential repair issues to deal with.

Finally... maybe you're already aware, but any number of dealers across the USA will sell you a Martin at 38 - 40% off the MSRP shown on the martinguitar website. You can do substantially better than the MAP prices you listed above, but you have to ask over the phone. They can't advertise their lowest price or they will run afoul of dealer rules.

Old 07-24-2020, 10:13 AM

I think the general consensus is that the Martin D-28 Authentics are some of the best guitars they've made in a long time, torrefied top or not. I've played both, and prefer either one to a friend's 1967 D-28. But I also love that guitar, great dry tone. If all in equally good shape, you can't really go wrong.

If you're able and willing to buy one for 9k, why not buy two for 4-5k. Check the classifieds here and umgf, you'll find a lot to lust after in that range. Or buy one for half, and save for the small-body Martin you'll inevitably crave soon. Dear Lord, I promise if I get an 0-18 Authentic, I'll never ask for anything again. Or a Merrill 00-18 would be fine too Lord.
Old 07-24-2020, 01:42 PM

Brencat and Fatfinger- really appreciate the input

Sorry to clarify -but the dealers would go below the list of $8,999 - for a d-45? Or below the $7,999 for the d28AA ?
Those are website list prices- where as MSRP on Martin is $11,599 and $9,999 respectively? I don't buy often, so great to know and thank you.

Quote:
If you're able and willing to buy one for 9k, why not buy two for 4-5k.
Do tell, you think I can get a d28aa + a vintage 60's for $9k?
or any 2 out of 3 for $9k?

Brencat -as for the neck peculiarity, I appreciate that info- I think as I grow the stable, this is why one has multiple guitars, they bounce from one to another (ie pickup the Taylor if I'm going further on up the neck). or enjoy the challenge.

Is a lack of an adjustable truss rod a big concern on the Authentics? (assuming i'm right on that?)

Last question- do you all think that the 'aging' is important to the tone or largely to the aesthetics? I did hear about how they purposefully get the lacquer to checker by exposing it to compressed air (keyboard cleaners) to allow the checking, which they purport lets the top breathe even more.

I'm not sure i'd want to buy a checked top! lol

Sure we're splitting hairs here- that d28AA or just d28A is an absolute stunner in the sound and looks dept.
Old 07-24-2020, 02:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robkoa View Post
Sorry to clarify -but the dealers would go below the list of $8,999 - for a d-45? Or below the $7,999 for the d28AA ?
Those are website list prices- where as MSRP on Martin is $11,599 and $9,999 respectively? I don't buy often, so great to know and thank you.

Is a lack of an adjustable truss rod a big concern on the Authentics? (assuming i'm right on that?)

Last question- do you all think that the 'aging' is important to the tone or largely to the aesthetics? I did hear about how they purposefully get the lacquer to checker by exposing it to compressed air (keyboard cleaners) to allow the checking, which they purport lets the top breathe even more.

I'm not sure i'd want to buy a checked top! lol
Website prices for Martins are MAP (Minimum ADVERTISED Price). Every Martin dealer is restricted from publishing a price below this level. However, a dealer can sell a Martin below this if they wish, just not publish that they do. So yes, in the case of the D-28A Aged, there are dealers who will sell this for $6000 - $6200 + shipping. And in the case of the D-45, for $7000 - $7200 + shipping. Those prices represent approximately 38 to 40% off of the $10k and $11.6k MSRPs (not off of MAP).

Keep in mind they don't make many D-28A Aged Authentics, nor D-45s, and right now dealer stock has been largely cleaned out across the nation. If you're patient and can wait until production spools up again and dealers get replenished, they will be more apt to make you an attractive price. But with supply low, they can get away with charging top dollar. Be smart here.

I have owned two Authentics and still have the 2008 D-18A 1937. There were no relief issues with either guitar, and I like the big T-Bar nonadjustable neck reinforcement used in the 1937 Authentics. It makes for a very stable neck.

Finish checking would not be off putting for me, but excessive faux wear would be. I think Pre*War Guitar Co does a nice job with their "Level 1" distress, which is finish checking only, and I've seen and played one and it's really well done and they play great too. I would have no issues with the D-28A Aged, except for the neck which I don't like.

Old 07-24-2020, 02:10 PM

Cool

re: pricing thanks so much

re: neck
Brian Kimsey talks about that neck here in a comparison
https://youtu.be/YlzXFeZpk30?t=416

Funny how he explains exactly what you were saying.

Quote:
Keep in mind they don't make many D-28A Aged Authentics, nor D-45s, and right now dealer stock has been largely cleaned out across the nation. If you're patient and can wait until production spools up again and dealers get replenished, they will be more apt to make you an attractive price. But with supply low, they can get away with charging top dollar. Be smart here.
Great points -I would love to find one to see in person. I'll be in Nashville in Sept, so hopefully there's one of each in the city! Hope luck's on my side there.

As for relief, is the warranty still great for Martin original owners? Ie: an issue is something they'd help fix down the road?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion