The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-14-2020, 06:35 AM

I always use one when I play for extended periods of time. It helps maintain proper position and also helps when I play higher up the fret board.
Old 07-14-2020, 07:48 AM
Charter Member

I have a little plastic six pack cooler that I busk with. It is just the right size for me, and I use it for that purpose all of the time, even when I'm out on the front porch playing for the neighbors. I realize it isn't fancy, but it works great.
Old 07-14-2020, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercy View Post
footstools are famous for causing back problems. Get a Neck Up or similar device instead.
Could you expand on that.?? The 'famous for back problems' part.
Old 07-14-2020, 08:10 AM

"Forget footstools unless you are a masochist and enjoy back pain. Footstool+backpain=when, not if.
Guitar supports or a strap are the solution... there are millions of posts here about supports and straps. And even more millions of posts about back pain. As a beginner a support will almost certainly help your tone too by stabilizing the way you hold the guitar (fixed supports or strap, less so the cushions)." Quoted from the Classical guitar forum.
Old 07-14-2020, 08:19 AM

Footstools are essential for me, actually alleviate back pain. I guess it's an individual thing in that regard. I never play standing, at home or outside, whether I'm playing classical or hard rock. The only problem I have is that the cheap metal adjustable ones, while great for carrying to a gig or busk, are just a but too high for my liking although I get by. Two 2X4 wood pieces are good.
Old 07-14-2020, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercy View Post
"Forget footstools unless you are a masochist and enjoy back pain. Footstool+backpain=when, not if.
Guitar supports or a strap are the solution... there are millions of posts here about supports and straps. And even more millions of posts about back pain. As a beginner a support will almost certainly help your tone too by stabilizing the way you hold the guitar (fixed supports or strap, less so the cushions)." Quoted from the Classical guitar forum.
Well, my count concludes that 2 people in this thread say what you are saying. And you're one of them. So.....

I'm waiting for the millions to come out of the woodwork.
Old 07-14-2020, 11:29 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3notes View Post
Well, my count concludes that 2 people in this thread say what you are saying. And you're one of them. So.....

I'm waiting for the millions to come out of the woodwork.
Not a spine expert here, but I would imagine that a lot would depend on the size of the person and the dimensions of whatever footrest is being utilized. My previously mentioned Costo box (a small box, not the large ones that make the world's best easily replaceable puppy beds) has two dimensions. in it's intended "upright" position, it is too high for my frame size and comfort. On it's "back" it is just right--BUT--only if I am not wearing clogs or other shoes with thick soles. As a result, I usually play in sock feet when using this footrest. I know I would be very uncomfortable if I played for any length of time with my foot/leg in a higher position. The height of the chair has bearing as well, obviously.
Old 07-14-2020, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman1951 View Post
I sometimes use a footstool with classical, but I generally prefer a Dynarette Guitar Cushion.
I use a footstool but that looks interesting. I just ordered one.
Old 07-14-2020, 01:08 PM

I play mostly classical these days and use a foot stool for that. When playing steel string I just cross my legs and put the guitar on the right leg. With a 14 fret join to the body when I try the classical position I feel like the reach is too much and I have long arms even too. But it could also be because I am used to the smaller classical guitar.

I can't seem to play anything but rhythm guitar if I stand and use a strap.

Back problems and footstools are a well known problem in classical guitar circles. But the reality of it is that some people suffer while others don't. And there are ways to mitigate it like stretching and standing up to take a bow between pieces, yes even when you are practicing
Old 07-14-2020, 01:15 PM

Coincidentally, my first footstool came from Amazon today. I only used it for 30 seconds but I'll give it a real try when my guitar stool comes in (should be any day).
Old 07-14-2020, 03:56 PM

I use a footstool under my left foot when playing the classical or finger style, and under my right when playing the electric with a pick. Generally. Exceptions for just picking it up here and there, or on a low couch, etc.

I also have a neck-up, and dynarette cushion, and some other support devices. I typically use the dynarette with a small parlor guitar I have.

I think the stool is hard on the back when used for extended periods of time, like hours per day. I tend to take breaks and move around and rarely play in long stretches that I think might cause back problems. There is a lot of information on the internet should one be so inclined.

I have just as much of a problem with resting my forearm on the sharpish edge of the guitar. But I like all the ergonomic stuff.
Old 07-14-2020, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Coincidentally, my first footstool came from Amazon today. I only used it for 30 seconds but I'll give it a real try when my guitar stool comes in (should be any day).
NFD!

Did you buy a classical, Dru? And which footstool, just a typical one?
Old 07-14-2020, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc1 View Post
NFD!

Did you buy a classical, Dru? And which footstool, just a typical one?
NFD ... only missing the L (NFLD) ... only Canadians will get that one. .

No, just a typical footstool with 5 or 6 adjustable positions. Just trying to find a more comfortable position to play acoustic. Years of bad posture has taken its toll. I have no problem with electric because I only play standing up but acoustic always sitting down. I'll either like it or I won't.
Old 07-15-2020, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
NFD ... only missing the L (NFLD) ... only Canadians will get that one. .

No, just a typical footstool with 5 or 6 adjustable positions. Just trying to find a more comfortable position to play acoustic. Years of bad posture has taken its toll. I have no problem with electric because I only play standing up but acoustic always sitting down. I'll either like it or I won't.
5's hardly enough, you need 6! Just kidding, I hope it helps.

It amazes me to think someone who can walk for miles could have posture problems.

I'm sorry your posture has taken its toll. You should start a thread on ergonomic playing. It's out there. Not really kidding.
Old 07-15-2020, 06:14 PM

This is a flat top guitar forum for the most part not a classical forum so I wouldnt expect there to be many that know about the potential. What I try to do is to help promote a topic even though opinions are what one usually sees on these forums.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion