The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 12-31-2011, 06:55 AM

Default Doug Young's "Understanding DADGAD"

If you want to learn the nuts and bolts of DADGAD, this is an excellent instructional book. Well thought out and put together. The accompanying CD is really nice.

I would love to see Doug put a book of alternate tuning songs together. In searching Amazon, there really are no offerings. His arrangement of Shenandoah on his website is excellent!

Thanks Doug. You did a fantastic job!!

Phoenix Guitar Co. Custom Classical Guitar
Rainsong Shorty FLE
Pre Peavey Cargo
Old 12-31-2011, 08:11 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by itself View Post
I would love to see Doug put a book of alternate tuning songs together.
Glad you are enjoying the book! As far as a song book, there's a complete tab book included with my new CD when you get it thru my site. 2 tunes are in standard, the rest are alternate tunings, with 6 or 7 being DADGAD. I also have most of the tunes from my earlier CD in tab, again about half in DADGAD, a couple in standard, the rest in some other tunings. I haven't packaged those into a single book, but you can get them as a package on my website. There are also 9 tabs, so about another book's worth, up as free downloads on my site, all in alternate tunings.

For other sources, I can highly recommend all of Al Petteway's books, Pat Kirtley's books, Pierre Bensusan's tab books, Laurence Juber's tab books. Simon Fox has some great DADGAD stuff. Also check out books by Stephen Bennett, Doug Smith, Pete Huttlinger, Steve Baughman, and many more. Check out Acoustic Music Resource at solidairrecords.com or Mel Bay's site for lots and lots of repertoire books in alternate tunings.

Hope that helps!
Old 12-31-2011, 08:16 AM

Quote:
If you want to learn the nuts and bolts of DADGAD, this is an excellent instructional book. Well thought out and put together. The accompanying CD is really nice.

I would love to see Doug put a book of alternate tuning songs together. In searching Amazon, there really are no offerings. His arrangement of Shenandoah on his website is excellent!

Thanks Doug. You did a fantastic job!!
How about sharing some 'eureka' pointers so that the rest of us can benefit too?
Old 12-31-2011, 09:45 AM

Quote:
His arrangement of Shenandoah on his website is excellent!
I'll second that, Lisa!

We did a little project on the APM forums a few years back using Doug's arrangement of Shenandoah. I was hoping that more people would get involved, but it was still fun:

http://acousticplayermagazine.com/co...?showtopic=500
Wenge B/S Lutz/Cedar Double Top
Old 12-31-2011, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fulfillingsoul View Post
How about sharing some 'eureka' pointers so that the rest of us can benefit too?
There are really no pointers. You really have to work through the exercises to benefit. I like the fact that it teaches the different chords, and provides different fingerstyle patterns. It works one all over the fretboard to get you out of your comfort zone in the first position.

Phoenix Guitar Co. Custom Classical Guitar
Rainsong Shorty FLE
Pre Peavey Cargo
Old 10-02-2015, 01:30 PM

Smile

Thanks to Lisa (4 years after you started this post).. Bought Doug's DADGAD book & Christmas download and just learned Shenandoah from his website. After 40 years of playing, I've just now (seriously) gotten into alternative tunings and regret not having done so earlier. "Understanding DADGAD for Fingerstyle Guitar" is about the best introductory book I've seen and would highly recommend it. ..Mel Bay books have come a long way since the early 60's

Santa Cruz ss om/pw. Moon Spruce/Rosewood
Collings 002H Sitka/Rosewood
Cervantes Rodriguez Concert

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write