The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-19-2010, 12:13 PM

Talking Which Acoustic Pickup Was Used To Record This Clip?

I guess this is for the pickup experts, or anyone for that matter, just installed a pickup in a OM size guitar(rosewood/spruce). I was curious if anyone could figure out what pickup it is? I'm sure Gary will get it
There was no eq and just some reverb added, i'm running a complete new recording set up with different monitors and recording software in a new house and room so i don't really know where i am sound wise just yet.
But take a listen and see if you can figure it....it speeds up slightly at the end as the postman was coming up the path with a parcel

fingerpicking.mp3

Rob

Last edited by RobKay; 09-19-2010 at 12:55 PM.
Old 09-19-2010, 01:12 PM

Hi Rob,

Let me be the first to make a fool of myself with this guessing game. I'd guess that the pickup is the PUTW I/O UST. From what I hear, you're getting a very clean, articulate sound which reminds me of the PUTW I/O UST which is currently in my little rosewood/spruce concert sized Crafter guitar.

Whichever pickup it is, you make it sound very good. I look forward to returning to this thread in a day or two and learning what pickup it is.

Gary
Old 09-19-2010, 03:08 PM

except for the low end bump, I'd swear you were playing a harpsichord.
'94 Gibson Gospel
Old 09-19-2010, 03:26 PM

Thumbs up

Actually you're not far off there, that song calls for an early 17th century Spinet/harpsichord type sound.
Rob
Old 09-19-2010, 03:28 PM
Charter Member

Very Nice Playing!

You're using a combination of a magnetic soundhole pickup (Sunrise, or Baggs, or Fishman, or other) with either an SBT or UST. A really nice blend has been achieved!

Regards,

SpruceTop
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 09-19-2010, 06:44 PM

If it is Magnetic and SBt, you use alot less magnetic than me in that kind of mix. I'm not really hearing that round mag tone except on the odd note.
It sounds more like a sounboard transducer to me, similar to my K&K when I solo it with the lows rolled off.

Very nice playing btw!

Yamaha MIJ CJX32
Avalon L32
Avalon A32 Legacy
Lowden 022
Gibson J-185
Takamine TNV360sc
Cole Clark Fat Lady 3
Old 09-19-2010, 07:39 PM

Definitely sounds to me like some kind of UST on the low end.

Maybe single source, or maybe blended. But if the latter, then I'm not hearing a sound hole mag in the blend. Probably blended with something else, if at all.

And I'll join the chorus of compliments on your playing. Very nice!

David
Páirc Thoir Thuaidh

Old 09-20-2010, 07:36 AM

Headway UST...
Old 09-20-2010, 01:49 PM

Thumbs up

Actually everyone was very near.......
Pickup was a DTAR Wavelength....i was playing around with different DI's and preamps to see what sounds i could come up with. DI was a Ridge Farms Gas Cooker into a JLM Audio preamp straight into Presonus Studio One Software(amazing recording software, very simple to work with.)
Not sure at all about my recording room some sides sound very bass heavy and other sides not, will have to add some bass traps and damping.
Tune was a song written in the late 60's early 70's to sound like a Spinet type instrument played in the seventeenth century. Song title "Woburn Abbey"
All just for fun......Not sure if was a good ad for a Wavelength or not
Thanks for taking the time and trouble to stick your necks out and respond!
Thanks for the compliments by the way....
Rob
Old 09-20-2010, 02:08 PM

That's great news, Rob. I'm about to replace the I/O UST in my Crafter with a Wavelength system. I've decided sell the Crafter (fretboard is a little too tight for my taste) and figure it'll sell better with an active system in it. (I'd also prefer to keep the I/O UST for myself.) Thanks to your experiment here, I won't feel too terribly guilty that the buyer is getting screwed with a second choice (relative to the I/O) pickup system. LOL.

Gary

PS I'd also like to congratulate your deft touch. I haven't had much luck recording from the Wavelength because it seems to be hyper-responsive to my touch. Its seems like a small change in attack intensity elicits a larger change in output level.

Last edited by guitaniac; 09-20-2010 at 06:23 PM.
Old 09-21-2010, 06:36 AM

As long as I'm making comparisons between the Wavelength and I/O USTs, I should mention a factor in the Wavelength's favor. The Wavelength lends itself better to digital enhancement with the Fishman Aura devices or the DTAR Mama Bear. I believe that's because the Wavelength picks up less top ambience than the I/O does, therefore providing a more neutral platform for the digital processors to incorporate the sound image (in Aura's case) or the target guitar (in Mama Bear's case) into. In any event, the Wavelength has worked well for me with both Aura and Mama Bear. The I/O UST never has.

Gary
Old 09-21-2010, 08:37 AM

Thumbs up

Gary....i've always wondered about the Dtar M/Bear and the Aura but they're that expensive here in the u.k. i've never purchased one, plus i've seen that many for sale on ebay i always thought they can't be any good? In the same guitar i have the K.K. pickups, but i have to say i can't stand em....i've tried blending them with a sunrise and the Wavelength but gave up on them, they seem to introduce some strange artifact that i can't figure out what it is......
Rob
Old 09-21-2010, 10:01 AM

Default guess

That was fun. Can we play another round or two?

Breedlove Performance Focus (SC25CRe)
Breedlove Studio BJ350SMe Bass.
Custom, Rushing 000 Bubinga/Spruce w/Fishman Rare-Earth Blender SHPU
Taylor GSMini
Ibanez AS-73 electric
Giannini Cedar top Nylon A/E
Gibson 1924 Tenor Banjo
Gold Tone Oval Hole Mando
Rozini Prof. Mod. Cavaquinho (A/E)
Kala Baritone Uke
Cordoba Concert Uke
Mainland Mahog. Tenor Uke

Old 09-21-2010, 11:24 AM

Hi Rob,

With respect to the Pure Western mini, I think its effectiveness varies with different guitars. I get too much (for my taste) of an in-the-cave sound from the K&K mini in my spruce/mahogany Samick OM. On the other hand, the mini in a friend's 1963 Martin D-18 sounds terrific. He plays moderate volume settings, so feedback susceptability isn't an issue for him.

A plus for the K&K mini is that it seems to have a smoother response to the touch than most USTs - smoother than the Wavelength for sure. Its one of the pickups which got me to thinking more about the issue of touch responsiveness.

With repect to the digital thing, my absolute best results came with the Aura Spectrum DI and a little Fishman UST-equipped guitar. The guitar actually had its own onboard Aura system and factory-installed Aura sound images. It nevertheless sounded better with one of the stock OM sound images in the Spectrum DI. I was actually modeling to some extent, as it sounded like a bigger guitar when amplifying with that sound image. (That amuses me to some extent as the Fishman folks hate the "modeling" word. They've been emphasizing from the beginning that Aura "sound imaging" is not modeling.)

In any event, the Fishman Aura technology seems to work best with the Fishman film piezo undersaddle pickups. The catch is that you have to find a compatable sound image for the particular pickup/guitar rig that you're using. That may take quite a bit of experimentation. As an open mic host, I find the DTAR Mama Bear much easier to use with unfamiliar UST-equipped guitars. It takes relatively little "dialing in" with Mama Bear to make most UST-equipped guitars sound better (to the relief of my much-abused ears).

I've drifted away from the digital thing in recent times, as I've been looking for guitar/pickup rigs which are easy to set up quickly, and which give me a smoother touch response than most USTs. (The Baggs Anthem system is a winner in that respect.) I've since sold the Fishman UST-equipped guitar and the Fishman Aura Spectrum DI.

Gary

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification