The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 03-30-2010, 02:29 PM

Default Chord Changes

I am a newbie here, and need some help in practicing chord changes. I seem to get bogged down in making a perfect chord rather than the change itself and then end up hesitating. I also get caught up in only using the same chords. Mostly G/A/C/D, and don't get past that beginner level. I guess I am looking for a tool to bring on that aha moment. Anyone have suggestions on some good excercises to strengthen my chord changes.

Thanks,

Taylor 110
Old 03-30-2010, 02:34 PM

I know this isn't always possible to do, but for me, the best thing for drilling fast changes is to play with other people. You can't slow down your changes and pretend it doesn't matter.

1977 Martin M-38
1982 Stelling Staghorn
2013 Larrivée D-40R
2014 Andrew White Eos 1011 (sold)
2016 Pisgah Possum
Old 03-30-2010, 02:34 PM

Do you know how to play the bar chords?
Old 03-30-2010, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allman_Fan View Post
Do you know how to play the bar chords?
No I haven't learned any bar chords. I know the basic chords and a few minors. That is about it.

Taylor 110
Old 03-30-2010, 02:49 PM

You and I have much in common even though I've played off and on for 50 years, and I can play a few more chords than you admit to. (Certainly you must play E minor, 022000, right?)

About five weeks ago I started the Learn and Master Guitar course. It contains no magic, only a thorough deconstruction of guitar playing into its tedious basics.

The exercises I've done so far are mainly single note exercises and melodies. Some of the melodies include chord symbols; I'm already fairly fluent in most of the chords, even though the course hasn't addressed all of them yet.

Recently I was strumming and humming one of those melodies when I came to a six-string, barre, F Major chord. In the past it has taken me as much as a minute to form that chord so that each string sounded. I made a panicky grab for it, and to my surprise it sounded almost good. Only the second string C, which often falls under a wrinkle in my index finder, sounded muffled.

I was so stunned that I stopped and started over. Again the F Major chord was almost there.

I believe that the improvement in independence, strength and agility of five weeks of finger calisthenics have made a difference. Perhaps if I'd devoted that much time to trying to play the chord, I'd have made the same or more progress. However, I doubt it.

Just as there's a reason that athletes train by doing things they don't do on the playing field, I believe guitarists need to work on conditioning and fundamentals (such as hand position and finger placement) if they are to improve their playing skills.

But I may be wrong.

A veteran is someone who at one point in his or her life wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'
Old 03-30-2010, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesbassdad View Post
You and I have much in common even though I've played off and on for 50 years, and I can play a few more chords than you admit to. (Certainly you must play E minor, 022000, right?)

About five weeks ago I started the Learn and Master Guitar course. It contains no magic, only a thorough deconstruction of guitar playing into its tedious basics.

The exercises I've done so far are mainly single note exercises and melodies. Some of the melodies include chord symbols; I'm already fairly fluent in most of the chords, even though the course hasn't addressed all of them yet.

Recently I was strumming and humming one of those melodies when I came to a six-string, barre, F Major chord. In the past it has taken me as much as a minute to form that chord so that each string sounded. I made a panicky grab for it, and to my surprise it sounded almost good. Only the second string C, which often falls under a wrinkle in my index finder, sounded muffled.

I was so stunned that I stopped and started over. Again the F Major chord was almost there.

I believe that the improvement in independence, strength and agility of five weeks of finger calisthenics have made a difference. Perhaps if I'd devoted that much time to trying to play the chord, I'd have made the same or more progress. However, I doubt it.

Just as there's a reason that athletes train by doing things they don't do on the playing field, I believe guitarists need to work on conditioning and fundamentals (such as hand position and finger placement) if they are to improve their playing skills.

But I may be wrong.
I have started the course as well. I am going to move to session 2 tonight. I am also trying to play a song I have been working on since I began messing the guitar 3 years ago. I am probably better served in learning to excercise some patience than trying to get ahead of myself. I appreciate the comment as it helps to reafirm that I have a good tool at my disposal if I will just use it.

Thanks,

Taylor 110
Old 03-30-2010, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schemy View Post
I have started the course as well. I am going to move to session 2 tonight. I am also trying to play a song I have been working on since I began messing the guitar 3 years ago. I am probably better served in learning to excercise some patience than trying to get ahead of myself. I appreciate the comment as it helps to reafirm that I have a good tool at my disposal if I will just use it.

Thanks,
Howdy, fellow LMGer! {Extending secret handshake now... }

If you feel you may need help to keep your motivation up, consider registering for the discussion board at the L&MG website. I was skeptical at first, but I now think it provides a valuable support network.

Oh and if you're interested, the melody I mentioned is "We Wish You a Merry Christmas", which is in the Bonus Resources book, page 28. (The book is available free online as a PDF file.)

A veteran is someone who at one point in his or her life wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Last edited by bluesbassdad; 03-30-2010 at 03:02 PM. Reason: Afterthought...
Old 03-30-2010, 03:06 PM

1. I – IV ("one – four")
Key of G : G – C, keep repeating.
Now do this for keys: A, C, D, E, F(if you can)

2. I – V7
Key of G : G – D7, keep repeating.

3. I – VIm
Key of G : G – Em, keep repeating.

4. If you want to go on, add parts 1 and 2. together.
Now do THAT in all keys.

5. Keep going in a similar fashion . . . .

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

There is only one way to get that "AHA" moment.
Practice, Practice, Practice.
Old 03-30-2010, 03:40 PM

If you practice with a metronome, increase the tempo. If you don't practice with a metronome, you should get one. Focus on making your chord changes on the correct beat.

Then maybe focus on changing which beat you make the chord change on; this helped me a bit. For instance, with 4/4 timing, instead of strumming each chord for 1 full measure (1-and-2-and-3-and-4), only give each chord a half measure (1-and-2-and/CHANGE CHORDS-3-and-4). So instead of G-G-G-G-C-C-C-C, it would be more like G-G-C-C-G-G-C-C.

While sitting around watching TV, practice changing chords cleanly, no need to strum and make noise, just exercise your left hand during these exercises (try to keep time with your foot or in your head, though; always good to practice keeping time). You need to develop muscle memory. Eventually, your changes will be clean and quick; practice/repetition really does make perfect.
Old 03-30-2010, 06:49 PM

An article I wrote about mastering tough chord changes (and anything you struggle with is considered tough) might be of interest to you: http://www.stevedemott.com/the-metronome-trick/

1927 Martin 00-21
1986 Fender Strat
1987 Ibanez RG560
1988 Fender Fretless J Bass
1991 Washburn HB-35s
1995 Taylor 812ce
1996 Taylor 510c (custom)
1996 Taylor 422-R (Limited Edition)
1997 Taylor 810-WMB (Limited Edition)
1998 Taylor 912c (Custom)
2019 Fender Tele
Old 03-31-2010, 08:03 PM

Thanks all for the advice. I am keeping after it. Bound and determined to learn to play.

Taylor 110
Old 04-01-2010, 07:21 AM

One technique that I show my students that seems to work with virtually all of them is to not stop strumming while changing chords. People have a habit of stopping the strumming hand while re-calibrating the fretting hand to the new chord.
Keep that strumming hand banging away and stab at the chord shape. Sure, at first your fretting hand will screw up and you'll grab a few wrong notes, but that will pass and you will find yourself grabbing the new chord with no problem.
I think bluesbassdad describes this in his post. He was hummin' and strummin' and grabbed that F barre chord like it was no thing. Works every time. Try it.

Rev George
Old 04-02-2010, 10:11 PM
Charter Member

You can usually strum the open strings while the fingers are fumbling for the new chord, and the open strings don't sound out of place or horribly discordant. Keeps the rythmn going.

Another thing to practice is making the chord shape from a closed fist, then close the fist again and make the next shape. It helps develop the muscle memory.

STEve
Old 04-02-2010, 10:18 PM

All good advice here, but remember it's all worthless without good timing. Use a metronome all the time
Old 04-03-2010, 07:26 AM
Charter Member

Another practice that will help make the changes smooth and fluid is to play to a beat that is unusually slow that allows you to make the changes without pausing, then gradually speed up the beat over the course of days.

Steve

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write