The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-24-2020, 10:30 AM

Default Best superglue for gluing on fake nails?

When I buy Krazy Glue, I usually only get 1 or 2 uses out of it before the rest of the glue in the bottle dries up.

For those of you who use super glue to apply fake nails, what brand do you use?

Thanks.
Old 05-25-2020, 10:16 AM

I use super glue from the hobby shop. I don't glue nails on but I do break them doing household projects. My picking hand nails typically have about 1.5 mm of "white" showing so they are vulnerable.

I use the thin super glue along with same kind of reinforcing "stuff" I get in the nail department at CVS.

I keep the super glue in the fridge in the garage. It lasts a long time, like years. Best to buy some pipettes rather than applying directly from the glue bottle. This super glue wants to go everywhere! The pipettes allow you to apply the right amount.

Accelerator can also come in handy. Greatly speeds up drying time.

Incidentally after the repair I coat the nail with Sally Hansen's Hard as Nails. It is a very hard clear nail polish.

Warning some people are allergic to super glues. The more expensive odorless types my be used. Super glues are available in hobby stores in three viscosities.

Maybe consult with a "nail girl" to see what they use for gluing on fake nails?

Hope this helps.
Old 05-25-2020, 10:40 AM

I've never used cyanoacrylate ("superglue") type adhesives on my fingernails, but I use a lot in my shop as a woodworker.

Starbond makes a low viscosity, odorless variety that I prefer, N/O-05. You can buy it on Amazon or directly from the company. Not cheap, but it's very high quality and comes with micro-tips to help you place small amounts precisely.
https://www.starbond.com/all-product...ant-no-05.html

I store it at room temp on my shop bench, open to the atmosphere (through the tiny hole in the microtip). I've not had any problems with the glue curing up in the bottle in the year or so that it takes me to use it up.

Starbond also sells other viscosities. Again, I have no experience with nails, but it seems like a thicker grade might work better. The thicker grades fill gaps better and take longer to cure, so you'd have more time to adjust position. If using a thicker grade, consider getting some accelerator, so you can make the glue cure faster once things are in place.
Old 05-25-2020, 10:50 AM

At my local Dollar Store they sell what is basically a sampler kit. 3 or 4 single or double use tubes. This way if you don't use it all there's very little wasted should the remainder dry up on you. For $1 it's worth my peace of mind, YMMV.
Old 05-25-2020, 11:13 AM

I have have had great success Loctite CA glue, they have different grades.

I don't use on my nails but for many other applications. There style of cap that they use to seal the bottle is great. I have had the same bottle for years and it hasn't dried out at all

Last edited by Bridgepin; 05-25-2020 at 02:23 PM.
Old 05-25-2020, 11:53 AM

thanks folks
Old 05-25-2020, 12:13 PM

Would highly recommend Kiss Brush On Nail Glue. I buy a little bottle at our local Korger Store. The brush-on applicator seems to give a lot better control of how much glue and where the glue goes. Best, Jack
Old 08-06-2020, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djb33 View Post
I've never used cyanoacrylate ("superglue") type adhesives on my fingernails, but I use a lot in my shop as a woodworker.

Starbond makes a low viscosity, odorless variety that I prefer, N/O-05. You can buy it on Amazon or directly from the company. Not cheap, but it's very high quality and comes with micro-tips to help you place small amounts precisely.
https://www.starbond.com/all-product...ant-no-05.html

I store it at room temp on my shop bench, open to the atmosphere (through the tiny hole in the microtip). I've not had any problems with the glue curing up in the bottle in the year or so that it takes me to use it up.

Starbond also sells other viscosities. Again, I have no experience with nails, but it seems like a thicker grade might work better. The thicker grades fill gaps better and take longer to cure, so you'd have more time to adjust position. If using a thicker grade, consider getting some accelerator, so you can make the glue cure faster once things are in place.

Starbond is THE ****. I bought some of their glue recently, and used it for the first time. My thumbnail I glued on is not coming off at all, and I love it. Normal store bought Krazy Glue would never work this well.

I highly recommend Starbond.
Old 08-06-2020, 06:49 PM

As I was reading this, my wife just asked what I was reading. I lied.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion