The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN

Old 07-23-2020, 12:21 PM
Charter Member

Default Classic Albums

So, undoubtedly, I am sadly late to the dance, but I just watched my first episode of Classic Albums-- the Steely Dan Aja episode. Wow! So fascinating. I love that kind of "how we did it and why" dissection, and especially on an album I know well.

I see that many, if not all, past episodes are available via Amazon Prime streaming. Does anyone else have favorites to recommend? Are they all as good as the Aja episode? Look forward to finding out!
Old 07-23-2020, 12:30 PM
Charter Member

I haven't seen it, but I'd love to. What a terrific album that was! Here's "Peg..."

Old 07-23-2020, 12:39 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for the heads up!

I'm hoping there is some Bernard Purdie footage in there. I caught him sitting in with a Monday night pick up band from the local music college several years ago. He was older, but still shufflin' and definitely in control!
Old 07-23-2020, 01:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeve21 View Post
Thanks for the heads up!

I'm hoping there is some Bernard Purdie footage in there. I caught him sitting in with a Monday night pick up band from the local music college several years ago. He was older, but still shufflin' and definitely in control!
LOTS! In fact, it is some of the best in the episode.
Playing and talking about the process and choices made during the production process.

The video above thanks to Kerbie is the full production. The thing that's interesting about the CA version is that the extended musical portions are just the backing track (played live), no horns, no vocals. Though there is a lot of discussion about and audio of those tracks separately and in the context w/backing track, for various songs. They were able to get Becker and Fagan sitting at the mixing board talking about all aspects of the songs, from conception to auditioning musicians, to putting the song together. They play audio of many out-take segments, including the solos from the 7 guitar players they auditioned for I think it was "Josie." Then also interviews with an array of players who were on the album including Wayne Shorter, Larry Carlton, and others.
Super fun!
Old 07-23-2020, 02:36 PM
Charter Member

Yes, that is a great segment! Oh, those 7 guitar solos? they were ALL for "Peg", and Mssrs. Fagen and Becker found not one acceptable, until Jay Graydon did his take...

Steely Dan is the one band I can think of who can make a record that has been gone over with a fine tooth comb, tracked ad nauseaum, and the final result still has life and breath and doesn't sound produced within an inch of it's life!

Check out "The Lost Gaucho Album" on YT... it's a great retelling of the pitfalls that befall the dynamic duo while making that record. Personally, I LOVE the album, but was astounded to hear that it was s'posed to be twice as long, and there are half-dozen tracks that weren't included in the final... it's worth the 20' or so of the talking portion; then go on and listen to what's left of the omitted tracks. Even as rough takes, they are stunning songs!
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 07-23-2020, 03:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseth View Post
Steely Dan is the one band I can think of who can make a record that has been gone over with a fine tooth comb, tracked ad nauseaum, and the final result still has life and breath and doesn't sound produced within an inch of it's life!
Yes! That is exactly what one of the musicians describes. Something to the effect that they first had to achieve technical perfection, then go beyond that to make it live and breathe (or words to that effect!)

Anyway, makes me happy I caved to another year with the evil empire (Amazon)
Old 07-23-2020, 04:43 PM

The video posted is actually a snippet from a video produced (I think by Sony) about 20 years ago and sold as a DVD (which I bought about then after seeing it used as a demo at a CES show).

The DVD is Steely Dan - Two Against Nature

With DTS and a big screen - it's a well-produced concert done in a studio. But then I'm a sucker for any band with jazz fusion, female backup singers, and a horn section. Add Fagen and Becker and this one's a real winner. Think I'll drag it out and watch it again!

Last edited by hackathorn; 07-23-2020 at 04:54 PM.
Old 07-23-2020, 05:10 PM

Here's one of my favorite cuts...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EfvY61bdAQ
Old 07-24-2020, 08:12 AM
Charter Member

Favorite solos on Steely Dan records? That could be a long list!

I just listened to Katy Lied, and I love what Phil Woods did with his alto sax on Dr. Wu. And Rick Derringer has a great guitar solo on Chain Lightning.
Old 07-24-2020, 08:40 AM

i have to check that out!
1990 Alvarez DY-50
2019 McPherson Sable
Godin A6 Ultra
lots of electrics and amps!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN