The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-23-2020, 03:03 AM

The situation first addressed by the OP is how I learned about the differences between a good guitar and a $400.00 guitar. I was in a mom & pop music store trying out the latter guitars. They were recent arrivals with new, shiny strings. I played several and thought they sounded pretty good. Then i took down the Used Martin with dark brown strings and was blown away by how much better than the others it sounded.
Old 07-23-2020, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBCROTTY View Post
Oh! So close! We almost made it to the end of the second page of responses before the thread devolved into the absolutely predictable discussion "Guitar Center sucks."

For those new to the forum, you can set your watch to the "GC Sucks" chorus. This drumbeat is continuous.

Each month (at a minimum) someone will post a question or ask for input about an experience or issue they had while shopping, playing, or otherwise sampling merchandise at GC.

Just like in this thread, the issue is often unrelated to GC itself - in this case the discussion was related to the expectations that you can reasonably expect a guitar shop to accommodate when the strings on a guitar are dead. It just so happens that in this thread the OP was at Guitar Center and asking what was appropriate to expect at Guitar Center. The first few responses were appropriate to the OP's question and focused on the issue posed.

Then the responses stray away from the specific question and devolve into the predictable anti-GC themes. Common themes in these threads: GC employees are lazy and stand around all day, they are unhelpful, they don't know what they are talking about, the guitars are all locked up, the guitars are all damaged or scratched, the strings are dead, they won't deal, they expect to make money, they won't accommodate me in the manner I expect even though I have no intentions of buying from them....yadda yadda yadda.

I am a GC defender and I get tired of the constant negativity toward GC. I have no affiliation with GC, but I understand what they are, what they are good at, and what to expect (and NOT expect) when I choose to shop there. Personally, I have consistently good experiences there and with the people who staff the store near me.

If I walk into a Chevy dealer and expect them to sell me a Bentley, I am the problem. If I go into Target or Walmart and expect them to treat me like Nordstrom's, I am the problem. If I go to Sizzler and expect them to treat me like Ruth's Chris, I am the problem.

Folks, if you don't like or shop at GC, no issues. That's perfectly fine. But why continually dump on them? What purpose does it serve? If you have unrealistic expectations about what GC is built to deliver, the problem is not GC....the problem is YOU. GC is what it is. They are in a tough business, they cater to a specific segment, and they do a good job in that target segment.

Rant over, but man I get tired of the anti-GC stuff on here......
And I would respond by saying if you come to an open moderated guitar forum and get all twisted over someone’s opinion....the problem is you.
Old 07-23-2020, 06:11 AM
Charter Member

Let's keep this polite. Guitar Center elicits some strong feelings all over the spectrum... and they're all OK if voiced courteously.
Old 07-23-2020, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llew View Post
I agree Mick...if I'm really interested I'll offer to pay for the strings if necessary.
I'd never pay for that and it's not about the money, it's the principle. A guitar store should keep things in playable shape and that includes keeping them in fresh (at least, fresh enough) strings. I suppose if I had a really oddball request or one where they would reasonably want to display it with something else (gauge or alloy), I'd be willing to pay for the strings (but that has never happened to me). Every time I have asked, the stores have agreed and nobody has ever made me feel bad about it. Often, they will seek my input on what they use and I appreciate it. If someone said no, I'd take my business elsewhere, but I've shopped far and wide for guitars and never had anyone decline.
Old 07-23-2020, 11:26 AM
Charter Member

If you can get GC to do it. I hope you've got plenty of time. I could do three guitars in the time it takes their "Guitar Tech" to do one. And I don't use string winders.
Old 07-23-2020, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slothead56 View Post
And I would respond by saying if you come to an open moderated guitar forum and get all twisted over someone’s opinion....the problem is you.
I courteously agree.
Old 07-23-2020, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBCROTTY View Post
Oh! So close! We almost made it to the end of the second page of responses before the thread devolved into the absolutely predictable discussion "Guitar Center sucks."

For those new to the forum, you can set your watch to the "GC Sucks" chorus. This drumbeat is continuous.

Each month (at a minimum) someone will post a question or ask for input about an experience or issue they had while shopping, playing, or otherwise sampling merchandise at GC.

Just like in this thread, the issue is often unrelated to GC itself - in this case the discussion was related to the expectations that you can reasonably expect a guitar shop to accommodate when the strings on a guitar are dead. It just so happens that in this thread the OP was at Guitar Center and asking what was appropriate to expect at Guitar Center. The first few responses were appropriate to the OP's question and focused on the issue posed.

Then the responses stray away from the specific question and devolve into the predictable anti-GC themes. Common themes in these threads: GC employees are lazy and stand around all day, they are unhelpful, they don't know what they are talking about, the guitars are all locked up, the guitars are all damaged or scratched, the strings are dead, they won't deal, they expect to make money, they won't accommodate me in the manner I expect even though I have no intentions of buying from them....yadda yadda yadda.

I am a GC defender and I get tired of the constant negativity toward GC. I have no affiliation with GC, but I understand what they are, what they are good at, and what to expect (and NOT expect) when I choose to shop there. Personally, I have consistently good experiences there and with the people who staff the store near me.

If I walk into a Chevy dealer and expect them to sell me a Bentley, I am the problem. If I go into Target or Walmart and expect them to treat me like Nordstrom's, I am the problem. If I go to Sizzler and expect them to treat me like Ruth's Chris, I am the problem.

Folks, if you don't like or shop at GC, no issues. That's perfectly fine. But why continually dump on them? What purpose does it serve? If you have unrealistic expectations about what GC is built to deliver, the problem is not GC....the problem is YOU. GC is what it is. They are in a tough business, they cater to a specific segment, and they do a good job in that target segment.

Rant over, but man I get tired of the anti-GC stuff on here......
Yup. I agree. How can a guitar player possibly go into a Guitar Center without licking their chops.?? They are heaven to me. I don't have to buy anything. But I can play whatever is there to choose from. Also, there are A LOT of players there during my visits. That's an opportunity to speak to players face to face.

For the past 6 years I had 2 GC's within a half hour drive. Loved it. Now I live rural and have NO GC's nearby. In fact there is not a GC in the state. There's one dealer an hour away and they push Taylor, and that's about it. Who can afford a Taylor.??

I took it for granted that I had 2 GC's. I have none now and let me tell you.... It hurts.

As a player, how does anyone complain about a guitar shop.?? Any guitar shop.?? You're not obligated to spend a dime.
Old 07-23-2020, 05:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZYPIKINS View Post
If you can get GC to do it. I hope you've got plenty of time. I could do three guitars in the time it takes their "Guitar Tech" to do one. And I don't use string winders.
this is pretty much what would happen at my GC. Or they would say they don't have time. that being said, there hasn't been too many employees in the store at one time now that they are open again so I usually don't bother. That being said, I really don't know how you can have strings in such poor shape on what seems like every guitar in the store. i just expect it at this point.
Old 07-23-2020, 08:16 PM

Years ago I stopped in at a local "mom and pop" music store to pick up my son from his lesson. The owner knew me well, and asked me to try an acoustic that he'd taken in. In response to his "What do you think?" I replied "If my guitar sounded like that I'd change the strings."

He knew I wasn't in the market, had no intention of buying.
Even so, he changed the strings.

Just a year or two ago my all-time favorite guitar store had a high-end several thousand dollar guitar in stock that I was really interested in. When I finally got to the store to play it I was disappointed to hear - socks. Maybe not stuffed completely full but still - socks. I asked the salesman if they could put on new strings and he immediately did so. Unfortunately, there was little change and I left that one there for some other buyer.

Strings are cheap - good guitars are expensive. If a dealer won't replace old corroded strings in an effort to make the sale that tells me something. It may not tell me much about the guitar, but it tells me a lot about the dealer.

Uncle R.
Old 07-23-2020, 11:15 PM

Honestly, I can imagine what a string change will sound like on most any guitar. I don't need new strings to make an assessment of the guitar. I said this earlier, maybe not in so many words.... I'd rather evaluate a guitar with old strings, not new strings. The new strings will be too bright from the get-go. New strings will fool you more than old strings.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion