The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-16-2020, 10:07 AM

I own both guitars. My LL16 is the rosewood version, the Alvarez MD60BG is mahogany, so they are a bit different sounding as it relates to the back and side wood. My MD60 does not have electronics in it.

Either guitar is excellent. The Yamaha neck is a bit narrower, so I like the Alvarez neck a bit more. My Yamaha is a D version, and the Yamaha is a bit more upgraded from a look perspective - a little more bling. The Alvarez is much more basic - quite plain looking, but well built.

I like the Alvarez sound better - it is a nice bluegrass strummer - deep low end, with good mid and high projection. The mahogany sound is something I prefer. To be honest, I am shocked at the quality and sound/playability of the Alvarez at that price point. It is my favorite guitar, and I'm a huge Yamaha fan.

You cannot go wrong with either, but if I had to re-purchase only one of them I'd go with the Alvarez.

Hope this help you.
Alvarez MD60BG
Yamaha LL16RD
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Player Stratocaster
Old 04-02-2021, 02:30 PM

I also have both. I prefer the LL16, LLTA for the overtones and mids. Both have plenty of bass and volume. MD60 may have a little more bottom and volume but sounds muddier than Yamaha. I prefer clear tones and overtone. Also the craftmanship of LL series was better than MD60 series. There's some sloppy work on the neck, frets, finishes of the MD60.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBCROTTY View Post
I own both guitars. My LL16 is the rosewood version, the Alvarez MD60BG is mahogany, so they are a bit different sounding as it relates to the back and side wood. My MD60 does not have electronics in it.

Either guitar is excellent. The Yamaha neck is a bit narrower, so I like the Alvarez neck a bit more. My Yamaha is a D version, and the Yamaha is a bit more upgraded from a look perspective - a little more bling. The Alvarez is much more basic - quite plain looking, but well built.

I like the Alvarez sound better - it is a nice bluegrass strummer - deep low end, with good mid and high projection. The mahogany sound is something I prefer. To be honest, I am shocked at the quality and sound/playability of the Alvarez at that price point. It is my favorite guitar, and I'm a huge Yamaha fan.

You cannot go wrong with either, but if I had to re-purchase only one of them I'd go with the Alvarez.

Hope this help you.
Old 04-02-2021, 02:36 PM
Charter Member

I bought a used Alvarez MD60BG for $425 and it hangs with the high-end guitars and sounds better tonally than any Eastman I've had. It's quite amazing really. I think the Alvarez is very close to a standard D18 and 1/4 of the price. I put a Schatten HFN in the Alvarez and it will be staying around a long time for me. Not a huge fan of the bridge or pickguard but for the price I can overlook it.
Old 04-02-2021, 07:19 PM

I just recently purchased a Yamaha AC5R and an Alvarez Masterworks Elite GA and have been really pleased with both. They were chosen because they fit my playing specifications a bit better than many other fine guitars I auditioned. Yet, I feel both are still equally satisfying to me from a tonal standpoint compared with the others. The Yamaha is my favorite acoustic guitar to play that I have ever handled, and the Alvarez can sound beautiful if I'm playing to its potential.

For me, it's easy to recommend either brand for audition if the specifications meet your playing preferences and you find a representative example. The most obvious difference may be the neck thickness. My Yamaha AC5R is a bit thicker than my Alvarez at the first few frets, and the Yamaha L Series are commonly described as thicker than the A series/Red labels by forum posters. If you have a preference in this regard, it might give you the one to try first. Good luck finding the one that works for you!

Best,

Mac
Old 04-03-2021, 11:52 AM

Default Yamaha vs Alvarez

I have owned both and kept the Alvarez bluegrass. It is more "woody" sounding and loud in a D18 type of way.
The Yamaha LL16 is a fine guitar and loud as well but not my liking: it seems mid scooped loud in the same way that Taylors seem loud but less "woody".

Certainly more bang/buck with either brand compared to Taylor/Martin.

I dont think Im saying anything radical but just one more voice in the chorus.
Old 04-03-2021, 12:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acoustirics View Post
Hi all - I'm looking to add a guitar to my current list. Specifically differing in sound to my Taylor, 114CE and therefore was looking at either the Yamaha LL16 or ALVAREZ MD 60 EBG. Both have good reviews but wanted to know if any of you own either and what your opinion is...much appreciated.
I have the Yamaha LL-TA which is a TransAcousticfied Yamaha LL-16. This is a really nice-sounding guitar and somewhat different in tone from your Taylor 114ce. I've not played the Ibanez MD 60 EBG so I have no comparative experience with it to the other two guitars.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 04-03-2021, 03:35 PM

I ordered the alvarez from england to sweden, very much so because of the raving reviews her and jp Courniers youtube channel.

Eastman ED1 and ED2 had to narrow nut for me, (those eastmans I could try in sweden), recording king 318 and 328 also had narrow nuts.
I lived with it for a year but haven't reviewed it yeat because I have mixed emotions.

It sounds nice, and it has a wide nut (string spacing not so much) but it has a to flat neck for me (with a slightly ve shape). It also has an angle on the top of the fretboard that makes it hard for me to replace the nut so I can get a better string spacing.

I've started to consider Ll16 instead.

I don't have the possibility to try before I buy

Strangly enough the ll ta is cheaper than the Ll 16 here.

Last edited by Kerbie; 04-04-2021 at 04:38 AM. Reason: Please omit the profanity
Old 04-03-2021, 03:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by takamineGD93 View Post
Strangly enough the ll ta is cheaper than the Ll 16 here.
Then get it as you won't be disappointed and you'll be ready for the stage!
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 04-04-2021, 01:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
Then get it as you won't be disappointed and you'll be ready for the stage!
Im not really a fan. I've tried the cheaper ruby red when they first came out and I get tired of all stompboxes in heartbeat.

The Ll16M is even less money. Very few clips or reviews of that one.
Old 04-04-2021, 08:18 AM

Both companies make great guitars.
I own an Alvarez or two and they are exceptional guitars.
They are also gentle on the pocket.
I love my MD70CE. I’ve played the new MD60BG and I like it a lot.

I know that I’ve played some very good Yamaha guitars. But I couldn’t “bond” with any of them.
But a part of me likes the idea of an LL-TA in my Guitarsenal.

Alvarez 5013
Alvarez MD70CE
Alvarez PD85S
Alvarez AJ60SC
Alvarez ABT610e
Alvarez-Yairi GY1
Takamine P3DC
Takamine GJ72CE-12-NAT
Godin Multiac Steel.
Journey Instruments OF660
Gibson G45
Old 04-27-2022, 12:40 AM

Late to the party but here we go anyway.
I have both the LL16 and the MD60EBG.

I found the LL16 the easier guitar to pick up and play but I have played a lot of the older L series Yamahas so that may have something to do with it. The LL16 is a more natural guitar for me to play. The MD60EBG is sonically pretty astounding and the better of the two tonally and for the kind of expression it can give. However it took me a while to get used to the 'thinner' and wider neck on the Alvarez, once you do get it right it is slick as butter and fast. It's a bit tight up the neck near the nut for my fingers compared tot he Yamaha which is a doddle to play. The Alvarez required a set up, The Yamaha did not.

Both impressive guitars that I would find hard to choose between the two if I could only have one. I think I would keep the MD60EBG though if I had to choose.
Old 04-27-2022, 01:20 AM

I have the BG60edg. It's a great guitar but I have mixed emotions. The neck is wide but thin. I put a 1 13/16 nut on to get more space between strings at the nut and cut an tusk sadle so i have 2 5/16 string spacing. It helped.

But the more I learn about guitars the more I'm leaning towards Lj16. I have 000 12 fret I love. Lj16 is close in bout (15,7). Deep waist so if the waist lean on your lap it's much more lower for your shoulders.
I just havn't been able to try one.

I discovered that my lower bout on the BG60 is only 15 1/4
Old 04-27-2022, 01:41 AM

A few points.

If buying online in the UK then Peach Guitars is the way to go.
I bought the LL16-12 from them as i wanted to try a 12 string and not break the bank, its awesome. Setup was perfect out of the box.
Subsequently I found an LL16 for sale second hand on reverb. Also originally bought via Peach guitars, setup also perfect; the owner was giving it away so i thought why not.
I have a Recording King all solid dread which is a great budget guitar, but the Yamaha is on another level; thats even with the plastic nut, saddle and bridge pins which could be upgraded for a further slight tonal improvement.

The Yamahas I have are very playable; 1 3/4 inch nut with a very comfortable satin neck. In the UK Yamaha have an excellent warranty; Personally i would go for the Yammy
Old 04-27-2022, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acoustirics View Post
Hi all - I'm looking to add a guitar to my current list. Specifically differing in sound to my Taylor, 114CE and therefore was looking at either the Yamaha LL16 or ALVAREZ MD 60 EBG. Both have good reviews but wanted to know if any of you own either and what your opinion is...much appreciated.
I’ve owned the LL16 and a couple Alvarez Masterworks in my day and they’re both great instruments and values, so you won’t lose. However, hot take incoming, I’ve generally thought the Alvarez Masterworks were superior. The ones I’ve owned were lighter weight and more lively. I had a LL16 and LS16 and an Alvarez MD65 and still have a MC90. The Yamahas sound and play nice but were more “tank-like” and less rich sounding than the comparable Alvarez Masterworks. However, I’ve never been as impressed with the lower level Alvarez models and would easily reco a Yammie over them. Caveat, I haven’t played a recent Masterworks model so maybe they suck now.
Taylor 514ce

Zoom AC3

https://linktr.ee/erikjmusic
Old 04-27-2022, 06:51 AM

I once owned a Yamaha LS-16 ARE. I used to love the guitar but got finally
fed up with its cristal clear tone. I tried a LL-16 and the tone difference did
not make it.

I do like my Alvarez AP 66 all-Mahogany parlor.

So, I guess the Alvarez you are considering could have a bassier tone than the Yamaha.

The electronics of the Yamaha was good, while the one on my Alvarez is crappy.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion