The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-22-2010, 09:04 PM
Guest 2143

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoB/335 View Post
The Sx100's are my FAVORITE passive speaker. I doubt you will find anything you will be happy with in comparison. Also those Sx100's are pretty light and 12's sound better than anything smaller that I have tried.

Good luck!
I never knew speakers could sound so good. This is why I need to stay away from those Daedalus speakers ericcsong mentioned. I fear they could end my love affair with the EVs
Old 09-23-2010, 07:50 AM

One of your considerations should be speaker efficiency, since you expect to sometimes be operating the speakers with as little as 250 watts/ea. That's not a lot of power, relatively speaking, for most quality PA speakers. The more efficient your speakers are, the less likely you'll be to drive the power amp into audible and potentially destructive distortion. Even if you normally play at relatively low volumes, transients may require more power than your mixer can cleanly deliver.
Old 09-23-2010, 08:21 AM
Guest 2143

Quote:
Originally Posted by GmanJeff View Post
One of your considerations should be speaker efficiency, since you expect to sometimes be operating the speakers with as little as 250 watts/ea. That's not a lot of power, relatively speaking, for most quality PA speakers. The more efficient your speakers are, the less likely you'll be to drive the power amp into audible and potentially destructive distortion. Even if you normally play at relatively low volumes, transients may require more power than your mixer can cleanly deliver.
This is good advice. It seems that 96/97 db at 1m/1w is about as efficient as many of the 10" speakers get, which isn't bad. It also seems that the RMS ratings on many of the 10" speakers are about 100-200 watts, so I don't think I should be too mismatched even when daisy chaining.
Old 09-24-2010, 08:13 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by alnico5 View Post
Check our Carvin. www.carvin.com
2nd this suggestion.
Old 09-24-2010, 09:50 PM
Guest 2143

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryAllanHall View Post
2nd this suggestion.
Thanks for the suggestion. Have you used the Carvin PM10s, or just other Carvin speakers? How do they compare to other 10" speakers you may have used in terms of sound quality?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification