The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-23-2010, 07:34 AM

Default two pickups without preamp into two channel amp

is anyone using a two pickup setup without a pre-amp directly into a two channel amp. I'm thinking of installing a K&K PWM and a piezo pickup of some sort in my hd28. could I run that straight through the stereo output jack on my guitar with each pickup going direct into different channels on my amp? anyone doing that or is it a silly idea to do without a preamp.

Last edited by sksmith66; 09-23-2010 at 08:09 AM.
Old 09-23-2010, 08:00 AM

I think the K&K will be alright, but passive piezo pickups don't do very well unless the cable length is kept short. It would work, I just don't know how good it would sound (unless you kept the cable length to maybe 6').
Old 09-23-2010, 08:09 AM

sorry about the "passive" part. scratch that.
Old 09-23-2010, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sksmith66 View Post
is anyone using a two pickup setup without a pre-amp directly into a two channel amp. I'm thinking of installing a K&K PWM and a piezo pickup of some sort in my hd28. could I run that straight through the stereo output jack on my guitar with each pickup going direct into different channels on my amp? anyone doing that or is it a silly idea to do without a preamp.
What kind of amp?
Old 09-23-2010, 10:33 AM

marshall as50d or fender acoustasonic
Old 09-23-2010, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sksmith66 View Post
You are probably aware of it (the way your post reads does suggest a possible assumption to the contrary) but for the benefit of readers who may not know, the K&K Pure Western Mini is piezoelectric.
Old 09-23-2010, 11:56 AM

I should have just said under saddle pickup.
Old 09-24-2010, 11:33 AM

I am doing something similar with my Ovation guitar. Using Marshall AS50D amp. I added JJB pickup that is similar to K and K unit. Glued it to the bridgeplate and it sits centered right bellow the saddle. In first channel of my amp I run Ovation's OP Preamp with it's own EQ set mostly flat. For second channel I run my JJB into MXR 10 band EQ and then off to the Marshall. Settings on the amp are bass is flat on both channels, treble is about 9'o clock. Sound I am able to get is worth it. Ovation sounds rich and balanced.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification