The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 04-29-2010, 01:16 PM

Default how do you transpose music into a different key

I have a friend who can look at tabs for a song on the internet and start to play a song then stop and he'll say its not in the write key for his voice, he'll then switch all the chords and make it match his tone...

I have yet to grasp this probably really simple concept... if i explained this right or anyone gets what im trying to figure out and can help it would be greatly appreciated, thank you.
2008 Taylor T5-C
2007 Taylor 110
1976 C. F. Martin Vega Banjo
2010 Taylor 8 String Baritone(sold)
Old 04-29-2010, 01:40 PM

If you Google in something like "chord chart in different keys", you'll find a picture of the different keys with the chords for each key. Then you can just look at the original key and see which chords you need for the key that suits your voice - it'll be all lined up underneath each other.

It's not that hard to memorize it all - just knowing the alphabet from A to G is all you really need to know, in away. For example - if you go up two letters on the first chord to get in the new key, keep going up two letters for every other chord. A bit tricky to do it while you play, but after a while it doesn't take a lot of thought.

"Yeah!" - Blind Boy Fuller
Old 04-29-2010, 02:05 PM

thank you for that, i was trying that out on paper but it didn't seem to work.... i tried changing a D, A, G chord progression up 5 each like you said to what i believe would make it G C# B and it doesn't sound very close... unless i'm just completely wrong which is quite possible... but I will google that chart... thank you.
2008 Taylor T5-C
2007 Taylor 110
Old 04-29-2010, 02:21 PM

Yup. Just search "Transposing Chords", "Transposing Guitar Chords" or something similar.

Here's one:

http://www.don-guitar.com/transpose.html

There are even ones that will automate it for you:

http://www.autotransposer.com/
Old 04-29-2010, 02:56 PM

I don't know the exact rules of counting the intervals, but I'd say D, A, G five higher would be: B, F#, E (or A, E, D, if you count different). Just count up (or down) the same for each chord.

It helps to know the chords for each key, of course (so you don't have an F in the key of B, for example - probably are songs like that, though). If you look at a chart, it'll all be clearer and it'll make sense so you don't have to use a chart all the time. Once you know the chords of each key, it becomes second nature (lots of songs go the same way, they just use different keys).

"Yeah!" - Blind Boy Fuller
Old 04-29-2010, 03:41 PM

Transposing keys is easiest if you learn how to decipher chord functions in each key. Knowing each key is critical. For example: in F major

F major - tonic (I)
G minor - supertonic (ii)
A minor - mediant (iii)
Bb Major - subdominant (IV)
C Major - dominant (V)
D minor - submediant (vi)
E diminished - leading tone (vii dim)

Then, if your progression is I-IV-V-I, you could transpose to the key of Bb (add one flat). Your progression would be BbM, EbM, FM, BbM.

Also, if you are transposing up or down a 5th (for example), you are counting scale steps. Therefore your tonic pitch is step 1. If you want to transpose up a 5th from D, you would count D, E, F#, G, A. There it is. Hope it is helpful!

'10 Bourgeois Custom OMC, '90-ish Lowden F22, '09 Simon & Patrick Folk Cutaway, '09 Recording King RO-06, '10 Paco Marin PM 395
'92 Epiphone Les Paul, '11 Grosh ElectraJet
Old 04-29-2010, 07:11 PM

thank you all for your help... i think i was just trying to transpose using just A,A#,B,C,C#,D,D#,E,F,F#,G,G#.... didn't think it had to be key specific... aschlip ... at first i was mind boggled by what you said until I read it looking at the chart as well...

I don't know what all the names for the I through VII mean but i'm sure as i read more into music theory I will learn... I also don't know anything about adding a flat haha... but I'm sure I will figure it out... I'm more on the right track now and I thank you guys for that.
2008 Taylor T5-C
2007 Taylor 110
Old 04-29-2010, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbeck2616 View Post
thank you for that, i was trying that out on paper but it didn't seem to work.... i tried changing a D, A, G chord progression up 5 each like you said to what i believe would make it G C# B and it doesn't sound very close... unless i'm just completely wrong which is quite possible... but I will google that chart... thank you.
Another easy way to raise the key is to use a capo. Then if you don't want to play the capo, figure out what the chords are (for example, if you capo V and play a D chord shape, you're actually playing a G). Figure that out, then go back to open position. Eventually, you'll want to learn how to figure it out, but this is a simple way to get used to the idea.

That which is good or great makes itself known, no matter how loud the clamor of denial. -- Theodore F. MacManus

I've got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell -- Christopher Walken
Old 04-29-2010, 08:56 PM

Quote:
I don't know what all the names for the I through VII mean but i'm sure as i read more into music theory I will learn... I also don't know anything about adding a flat haha... but I'm sure I will figure it out... I'm more on the right track now and I thank you guys for that.
The names (tonic, supertonic, etc.) aren't as important as knowing that in a Major key, those chords usually function as major or minor (or diminished) as I described. Of course, you'll have to learn a completely different pattern for the minor mode.

The capo is the easy solution for sure!

'10 Bourgeois Custom OMC, '90-ish Lowden F22, '09 Simon & Patrick Folk Cutaway, '09 Recording King RO-06, '10 Paco Marin PM 395
'92 Epiphone Les Paul, '11 Grosh ElectraJet
Old 04-29-2010, 09:10 PM

Quote:
I'm more on the right track now and I thank you guys for that.
Yep, just keep at it, get a little basic theory under your belt and you'll be able to write out the scales (and their harmonized chords) in all keys, understand the "Nashville Number" system - transposing progressions will be a piece of cake.
Old 04-29-2010, 10:22 PM
Charter Member

Transposing satisfactorily to a different key can be extremely easy or practically impossible depending on the piece of music. Figuring out the names of the chords is the easy part. Changing keys is not like doing so on the piano since with the guitar you have to lay it out on the fretboard in a practical way. Where will the base notes and melody line fit in? - is it physically possible without chord inversions, etc? Where would you best simply capo it and save some headaches?

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above

Last edited by rick-slo; 04-29-2010 at 10:30 PM.
Old 04-29-2010, 10:23 PM

Thank you all very much once again, it'll take awhile but I'll get it... And thanks to all of your help, hopefully a little faster haha.
2008 Taylor T5-C
2007 Taylor 110
Old 04-29-2010, 11:06 PM

http://www.transposr.com/ Works for MP3 files as well! Pretty cool stuff, even for those of us who transpose in our heads.

cotten
Old 04-30-2010, 06:55 AM

I have an Excel spreadsheet for the natrual major and minor scales (I have an Excel spreadsheet for just about everything ), but unfortunately I can't post it as an attachment, and it's too large to turn into a .jpg. It's not going to line up, but you can write it out to line up or enter it into Excel cells to line up. To transpose, it's just a matter of substituting the chords in one key for the other.

Natural Major Scales
I ii ii IV V vi vii
Maj m m Maj Maj m Dim.
C D E F G A B
G A B C D E F#
D E F# G A B C#
A B C# D E F# G#
E F# G# A B C# D#
B C# D# E F# G# A#
F# G# A# B C# D# E#
F G A Bb C D E
Bb C D Eb F G A
Eb F G Ab Bb C D
Ab Bb C Db Eb F G
Db Eb F Gb Ab Bb C

Relative Natural Minor Scales
i ii III iv v VI VII
m Dim. Maj m m Maj Maj
A B C D E F G
E F# G A B C D
B C# D E F# G A
F# G# A B C# D E
C# D# E F# G# A B
G# A# B C# D# E F#
D# E# F# G# A# B C#
D E F G A Bb C
G A Bb C D Eb F
C D Eb F G Ab Bb
F G Ab Bb C Db Eb
Bb C Db Eb F Gb Ab

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write