The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 04-15-2010, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daza152 View Post
I Don't Use A Pick When Playing, Do You?
Daza.
Yes I do ..99% of the time. That doesn't make it right though...just right for me!

Bong.
Fender American Deluxe Ash Stratocaster
Old 04-15-2010, 07:44 PM

I like the Alchemy strings too. I currently play on a Telluride. I don't use a pick, prefer the sound without one. I have tried, can't seem to make the darn things work..lol

I have another acoustic, brand called a Kona, made in Fort Worth, currently on loan to my 18 yr old. A few friends who are professional players have played on it, telling me they never heard of it, but they love the sound. I really need to get it back from my son..lol Folks at the Kona Guitar Company are very nice as well, after a fall and breaking a tuning key, I gave them a call and they mailed me a replacement right away at no charge.

I am currently trying to increase my technique in Finger Picking. Musical taste is eclectic, a bit of a 70's music lover, but I'll play any thing from country to rock. I have horrible stage fright, playing my best without anyone around

Last edited by Auralis; 04-15-2010 at 08:06 PM. Reason: Adding more info
Old 04-16-2010, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allman_Fan View Post
Oh, I was joking.

There ain't no right or wrong. Some use fingers, some picks, some both. Some don't strum the strings much, but just beat on the box. I wouldn't suggest setting it on fire, though. Evidentally, you need to be real good before you do that!
I like your sense of humour, are you a comedian who plays the guitar as I find them very entertaining LOL.

Daza.
Old 04-19-2010, 08:06 AM

I decided long ago not to use a pick and just strum and pluck with my nails, figuring I'd always have my nails at hand, but not always a pick. Then I realised that playing primarily with nails, I could only play a gig every other week, as at the end of each gig my nails would be wrecked and need time to grow back. So I decided that I'd cut my nails short and strum using my fingers, which means I can move quickly from strumming to finger-picking and back. It's all part of having my own sound, as is the playing a right-hand strung guitar left-handed.

Whether "my own sound" is any good or not is another matter...
Old 04-19-2010, 11:15 AM

I've played mostly with bare fingers, but lately I've worked the pick back into my practice regimen. (Man, it's hard to beat the simple pleasure of a good "boom-chucka" pattern with pick and cowboy chords.) I feel like the re-introduction of flatpicking and strumming has added to my right-hand "awareness" of the strings.

I'm also enjoying trying out various picks and playing with the tonal qualities of different types.

I think the best part of it is that I'm now more comfortable switching back and forth between fingerstyle strumming/alt picking.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write