The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 02-03-2019, 04:19 PM

Default For Luthiers, can you use Spanish Cedar for a drednaught?

My question is could you use Spanish Cedar for the top back and sides of a 14 fret Slope D guitar? I already know it is not cedar with nearly the same properties as mahogany. I just wanted to know with a standard x bracing pattern if there would be enough stability? I am trying to stay away from Honduran and would like to commission one to be built.
Thank you for any repies.
Dan
Old 02-03-2019, 05:20 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by D41Fan View Post
My question is could you use Spanish Cedar for the top back and sides of a 14 fret Slope D guitar? I already know it is not cedar with nearly the same properties as mahogany. I just wanted to know with a standard x bracing pattern if there would be enough stability? I am trying to stay away from Honduran and would like to commission one to be built.
Thank you for any repies.
Dan
I’ve built several guitars using Spanish Cedar on the back and sides but I’ve never used it for a top. It’s just a bit too floppy IMO for the top although you may be able to find an unusually stiff piece for the top?
Old 02-03-2019, 05:24 PM

It can probably be done. That doesn't necessarily make it a good idea.

Why do you want to get away from mahogany? If you're trying to avoid using a tropical hardwood that's in short supply then cedro is not the way to go. Aside from the fact that it's usually much softer and weaker than mahogany, it's also no more common or easy to get, as I understand it. It's also usually soft enough to make it hard to bend for the sides without cracking, or crushing on the inside of the bend.

Why not go with a domestic wood, such as cherry or walnut? Cherry is a really good substitute for Caribbean mahogany, and walnut is pretty close to Honduras mahogany. Either of them is 'way easier to work with than cedro, and makes a very sweet guitar.
Old 02-03-2019, 07:31 PM

I read about the Spanish Cedar and thought it may be a good alternative.. Honduran is getting rare and very expensive. I know Martin made a guitar from Spanish Cedar but not for the top. It was the Martin MC Adirondack 1 but was not a dread. I did a lot of reading but trying to find something with Mahogany tone and workability and stability is tough. I wanted to stay away from a Spruce top and go all hog but with custom touches. I guess I'll keep reading and see what I find. BTW, I love the honey shade of an unstained mahogany and that was another reason for the S.Cedar.

Thanks,
Dan
Old 02-03-2019, 09:04 PM
Charter Member

Smile Interesting wood.

I have a Jumbo coming from John Kinnaird with SC back and sides. It will have a Western Red Cedar top. And a bunch of bells and whistles, too!

Unless I am mistaken John has a back and sides of SC stashed....

I did a lot of research and found that SC is a very LIGHT wood and as you found it sounds a lot like Mahogany. And I like the tone of my JK Hog/Cedar custom a LOT.

Link to my SC thread: https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=518168

Maybe John will chime in here...

Best on your build!

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 02-03-2019, 10:40 PM

Not a dread, but I have a Spanish Cedar OO that is quite nice.
Old 02-04-2019, 01:17 PM

Thanks for the replies// Maybe theres still hope for an all SC guitar???
Old 02-04-2019, 09:54 PM

SuperSoft II will help with the bending if needed but being a dread without the narrow waist you may not be too bothered. I have been bending spruce and have been getting away with it.
Old 02-05-2019, 11:39 AM

Thanks but I wouldn't be building myself. It would be a commissioned build. Working out a few details yet. I may just give in an go all Honduran but being on Cites and limited supply is the reason I wanted to go Spanish Cedar which is in the Hog family...distant cousin.
Old 02-05-2019, 12:27 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by D41Fan View Post
Thanks but I wouldn't be building myself. It would be a commissioned build. Working out a few details yet. I may just give in an go all Honduran but being on Cites and limited supply is the reason I wanted to go Spanish Cedar which is in the Hog family...distant cousin.
Another option you may want to consider is Khya which is an African Mahogany which I don't think is CITES listed? Its VERY similar to Cedro.
Old 02-05-2019, 03:54 PM

Thanks Tim. It depends if the builder will have it in stock.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop