The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 10-02-2020, 12:52 PM

Wow! What beautiful scenery.

You might be able to make a scraper out of a hacksaw blade or somehting too. Try to get creative.
Old 10-02-2020, 03:09 PM
AGF Sponsor

Two things.

1, I read the thread w/o noticing that the saddle itself was not sufficiently down in the slot that it failed to be supported. If it is indeed well supported, then the bridge is likely able to be shaved a mm without overly weakening that support, especially since the saddle too will be less tall. There should be no,need to deepen the slot, lower the bridge surface and shorten the saddle.

2, If the slot does become to shallow to support the saddle, it is a $50 job In my shop to deepen the slot. This is a job for a guitar tech who owns the right tools.
Old 10-02-2020, 04:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer View Post
Two things.

1, I read the thread w/o noticing that the saddle itself was not sufficiently down in the slot that it failed to be supported. If it is indeed well supported, then the bridge is likely able to be shaved a mm without overly weakening that support, especially since the saddle too will be less tall. There should be no,need to deepen the slot, lower the bridge surface and shorten the saddle.

2, If the slot does become to shallow to support the saddle, it is a $50 job In my shop to deepen the slot. This is a job for a guitar tech who owns the right tools.
If I can get away without deepening the slot then that would be ideal. I won't know until I measure everything.. If I do need to take the slot down a mm I'm sure that with some of the ideas here I can manage the job well enough for this particular guitar.

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Old 10-02-2020, 06:10 PM

Default a thought

OP can find out real fast whether all he needs to do is shorten the saddle - - - shorten the saddle and find out. If a belt-and-suspenders approach is preferred, don't alter the original saddle, obtain a replacement and cut it down to what is desired. If it works, OP has a spare saddle, if it doesn't work, the original untouched saddle can be reinserted a life will go on till OP can get to a luthier to do the job.
Old 10-03-2020, 10:35 AM

I’d suggest slotting and ramping the bridge pin holes, then put in some non-slotted bridge pins.
1976 Martin 000-18
1989 Martin 000-16M
2015 Martin 00-DB Jeff Tweedy
2012 Gibson J-45 Custom
2017 Gibson J-35
1971 Alvarez K. Yairi Classical
1970 Lou J Mancuso nylon string hybrid
Harmony Sovereign H1260
30's MayBell Model 6
Nash MW-500
1998 Yamaha LS-10
2003 Tacoma EKK9
Old 10-03-2020, 11:42 AM
Charter Member

Here's a photo of the bridge and saddle I've just taken (I've been sitting on the beach playing). I'm pretty certain I'll have to take the bridge down 1mm at a 14" radius. I have already shaved the wings of this bridge just a touch a couple of months ago because the fretboard radius is 14" but the bridge was over 20" originally.

I'll see if I really need to deepen the slot after the shaving.

Charles, I'm with you that if I can't get the bottom of the slot "perfect" I'm not going to loose sleep over it.

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Old 10-03-2020, 05:51 PM

What is the total height of the saddle itself, and how deep is the slot at present? I would think given that information any of our more knowledgeable community members could tell you if deepening the slot after shaving the bridge would be necessary.

A good rule I’ve always seen is that you want at least as much saddle below the bridge as above. Judging by your photo, there is not a lot sitting above the bridge and if the bridge hasn’t been lowered in the center (just the wings as you stated) I would be surprised if you needed to lower the slot after shaving - I’m assuming there is quite a bit of saddle below compared to above.

After all this, since I’m assuming your saddle height is going to end up roughly in the same place, I would consider doing a ramp job on the bridge to get as much break angle as possible.

Last edited by canyongargon; 10-03-2020 at 06:00 PM.
Old 10-04-2020, 02:28 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by canyongargon View Post
What is the total height of the saddle itself, and how deep is the slot at present? I would think given that information any of our more knowledgeable community members could tell you if deepening the slot after shaving the bridge would be necessary.

A good rule I’ve always seen is that you want at least as much saddle below the bridge as above. Judging by your photo, there is not a lot sitting above the bridge and if the bridge hasn’t been lowered in the center (just the wings as you stated) I would be surprised if you needed to lower the slot after shaving - I’m assuming there is quite a bit of saddle below compared to above.

After all this, since I’m assuming your saddle height is going to end up roughly in the same place, I would consider doing a ramp job on the bridge to get as much break angle as possible.
The centre of the bridge is at its original height. I will shave the bridge and ramp the peg holes to get as much break angle as possible.

Anyone know what the peg hole taper might be on a cheap Far East bridge?

Old 10-24-2020, 09:38 AM
Charter Member

Default Solved

Finally home from my trip and found a couple of hours to work on the guitar's bridge and saddle. I didn't have to deepen the slot as there was plenty of depth to hold the saddle even after taking off 1mm from the bridge top. I scraped and sanded the bridge to lower it slightly, and cut string slots at the top of the peg holes. Then I sanded the saddle to height.

The guitar now has a nice playable action of 2.5mm to 2mm at 12th fret with plenty of break angle over the bridge.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair