The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 10-27-2020, 07:54 AM

Default Flatsawn osage orange

Good morning all,

A friend of mine gave me a nice piece of osage orange that is about 4 ft long, 8 1/4 in wide and a little over an inch thick. However, it it flatsawn. I was curious if anyone has had success using flatsawn osage orange for guitar back/sides?

Thanks,

Danny
Old 10-27-2020, 08:40 AM

A quick look at the Wood Database shows this info for Osage Orange:

Shrinkage: Radial: 3.8%, Tangential: 5.6%, Volumetric: 9.2%, T/R Ratio: 1.5

Honduran mahogany is a good stable wood to compare it too and that is:

Shrinkage: Radial: 2.9%, Tangential: 4.3%, Volumetric: 7.5%, T/R Ratio: 1.5

So you are pretty close to the gold standard of stable wood. Ideally it's always better to have vertical grain wood for stability but my guess is that if you built with it under controlled environment it will be okay.
Old 10-27-2020, 09:16 AM

If you control the humidity you can get away with a lot of the flat sawn material some people are using.
Old 10-27-2020, 03:30 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by printer2 View Post
If you control the humidity you can get away with a lot of the flat sawn material some people are using.
Of course you have to control the humidity forever, and if the material is of questionable stability, it just takes one slip-up and. . . . Ruh roh.

The comparison with H Mah. a couple of posts back does not make them look similar to me, it actually shows a 30% difference, which is a lot.
Old 10-27-2020, 03:48 PM

Thanks for the input everyone. He had this wood for a long time, I actually thought it was a piece of cherry when I brought it home, then ran it though the planer and saw the color of the wood. There is no warping or cupping, but it will be a while before I try to make a guitar with it. I may wait until I can find some quartersawn.

Danny
Old 10-27-2020, 04:29 PM

Osage and black locust are relatively stable woods, particularly when you consider the density. I tend to evaluate each piece of wood individually, considering its age and amount of warping. One way to help insure against cracking is to make sure the back is very dry when the braces are glued on. So far, that philosophy has worked well for me. One of my first guitars has a flat sawn black locust back, and it is 41 years old with no issues.
Old 10-27-2020, 05:10 PM

I believe Tim McKnight hs experience with Osage orange. Perhaps if you reached out to him you would get a good answer.

1975 Mossman Great
1995 Taylor LKSM-12
2008 Taylor Fall Ltd GC
2008 Applegate C Nylon Crossover
Fender Stratocaster - Eric Johnson Model
Nyberg Cittern
2011 Eastman AC508M
2012 Epiphone ES339
Old 11-10-2020, 10:49 PM

Dry Osage Orange is pretty stable. I used some flatsawn Osage for some thin-wall shaker-style boxes (the round ones that require side bending) and they’ve held up for twenty years, used daily (they’re kitchen storage). It’s got some stains but no cracks....
Old 11-11-2020, 05:35 AM

i use osage for duck calls (best domestic wood available for sound and durability). Once its dry, it seems to be very stable. If not dry, it moves enough for a 5/8 tenon to swell overnight and lock a call together permanently.
Old 11-11-2020, 07:35 AM

I think I would go ahead and cut it into 1/8" slices, then let it season/stabilize again for a good while. Then you can judge how stable it seems to be...
Old 11-11-2020, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hat View Post
I think I would go ahead and cut it into 1/8" slices, then let it season/stabilize again for a good while. Then you can judge how stable it seems to be...
This is what I am planning to do, so far there is no indication of any splitting/movement. The bigger challenge is having the patience for my 14 inch JET to cut through it. I'll use the table saw to begin the slices then the bandsaw to reduce the stress on it. I think I will have about 3/16 in for each slice after sanding.

Danny
Old 11-13-2020, 05:54 PM
AGF Sponsor

Was the osage kiln dried or air dried?. If air dried, for how long and in what conditions?. This info will go a long ways toward knowing how it will hold up in a finished guitar.
Old 11-13-2020, 06:57 PM

I believe it was kiln dried, he had it in his garage for several years.
Old 11-14-2020, 05:42 AM

However the wood was dried, the stresses need to be relieved. During air drying, that occurs over time, particularly if the wood is exposed to cycles of varying temperature and humidity. That is the definition of 'seasoning'. Proper kiln drying of dense hardwoods should include an additional step called normalizing, which will relieve internal stress. When resawing, you will know instantly if the wood has stresses, because the outer layers will tend to cup.
Old 11-19-2020, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Arnold View Post
However the wood was dried, the stresses need to be relieved. During air drying, that occurs over time, particularly if the wood is exposed to cycles of varying temperature and humidity. That is the definition of 'seasoning'. Proper kiln drying of dense hardwoods should include an additional step called normalizing, which will relieve internal stress. When resawing, you will know instantly if the wood has stresses, because the outer layers will tend to cup.
I have normalized metals in ovens. Wonder if you could do the same for a piece of wood? Would have to sit in a jig until it absorbs enough humidity though.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair