The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 08-16-2019, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Sarad View Post
Thanks Max. I’ll give it a go with the Chandler.
Check https://www.thetubestore.com/

If you describe what you're after they're very helpful with recommendations.

edit: Incidentally....https://www.thetubestore.com/tube-brands/mullard
Taylor 412K ('96)
Yamaha LL16-12 (SOLD)
PRS 'Studio' (SOLD)
Rickenbacker 660-12 (SOLD)
Fender USA Deluxe Strat
Fender USA Roadhouse Strat
Fender MIM/USA Partscaster
Fender MIM Nashville Tele
Kelsey Custom Hardtail Strat
Fender MIM P-Bass
Old 08-27-2019, 09:47 AM

I don't use any OD or distortion pedals at all - I don't even own any anymore. 100% of my break-up comes from the amp.
Old 08-27-2019, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuntieDiluvian View Post
I don't use any OD or distortion pedals at all - I don't even own any anymore. 100% of my break-up comes from the amp.
Same here (5e3 Tweed Deluxe, Vox AC4HW1). I have an overdrive pedal but never use it.
Old 08-28-2019, 12:18 PM

For those who don't know the sonic differences between the different types of 'distortion' pedals, here's a primer...a long primer.

Fender RK Tele
Godin ACS SA, 5th Ave
Gretsch G7593, G9240
Martin JC-16ME Aura, J12-16GT, 000C Nylon
Ovation:
Adamas U681T, Elite 5868, Elite DS778TX, Elite Collectors '98
Custom Legend, Legend LX 12 string, Balladeer, Classical
Parker MIDIfly, P10E
Steinberger Synapse
Taylor 320, NS34
Yamaha SA503
Old 08-28-2019, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuntieDiluvian View Post
Same here; I like to ride the razor's edge of tone, going between clean and breakup with right/left-hand technique alone - something I've yet to see done with anything but an honest-to-John Fleming tube amp, regardless of how sensitive the player's touch...
Old 08-28-2019, 12:41 PM

An old Chandler Tube overdrive for one setup. I also use the Wampler Hot Wired (Bret Mason) a lot. I have several others that are collecting dust.
Old 08-28-2019, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
OD pedals can do amazing things with just a simple, light touch. I love my EXH Soul Food. Inexpensive and it boosts my overdriven Marshall or Traynor amps just the way I like it. I also a few other ODs but the Soul Food is my "always on" pedal.
I have the Soul Food also and find it to be an excellent pedal.

OTOH, I usually use my Hot Wax pedal for gigs. It has both the EH Crayon and Hot Tubes in one pedal and effectively is 3 pedals in one. a, b and A+B. Go from SRV to Green Day to full blown saturation with both on. Relatively inexpensive too.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 08-28-2019, 11:23 PM

I have a Blues Driver somewhere in a drawer as well as a Marshall Drive Master. I should dig those out.

My main ODs are a Holdsworth OD/boost pedal, which I use to give me some sparkle when I'm playing relatively clean and a little break up when I dig in.

My next is a Zen Drive for slightly harder OD.

I also have a Tube Screamer clone that I crank for 90's era overdrive.

I then have an orange distortion clone for hard rock/classic metal.
Old 08-30-2019, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roylor4 View Post
I have the Soul Food also and find it to be an excellent pedal.

OTOH, I usually use my Hot Wax pedal for gigs. It has both the EH Crayon and Hot Tubes in one pedal and effectively is 3 pedals in one. a, b and A+B. Go from SRV to Green Day to full blown saturation with both on. Relatively inexpensive too.
I'll have to look up the Hot Wax. How do you like the Crayon?
Old 09-11-2019, 11:50 PM

You guys are mentioning a lot of good pedals.

However, I'm absolutely amazed today what you can get for the money... for everything: guitars, amps, and pedals are no exception.

The Xtomp I already mentioned is an absolutely outstanding pedal that has many OD's and other effects for about $70. And, trust me, the pedal sounds amazing and authentic. I have an actual tube screamer and the Xtomp has an emulation of one and I honestly can't hear the difference at all.

Besides that, I have a Caline OD that even has a boost, that I picked up for about $20. It's pretty good. It has three very distinctive types of OD and two different boosts. I also have a Mosky Klon Clone that I got for $19. That's also pretty good, but it does color the sound a bit, but it's good for certain styles.

Also, although they are meant to be amp simulators, the Joyo amp pedals, can shape your sound in front of an amp and the drive on them can be used as an OD too. The $30 Joyo British Pedal sounds absolutely amazing in front of every amp I've paired it with. It's a really crunchy OD that's not muddy at all. I HIGHLY recommend everyone buy these Joyo amp pedals. Specifically the American and British pedal.
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 09-12-2019, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxtheaxe View Post
This is a bit of a tangent to the OP's question here, but those Chandler/BK Butler Tube Driver pedals are easy to swap the tube for a less aggressive one. They come with a really grinding 12ax7 but you could put in a less 'clippy' 12au7 or something similar with softer clipping. I suspect that EJ has done something like that with his.
Also, folks need to understand that his lead tone is only partially based on the Chandler. The Fuzz Face and cranked Marshall have a lot to do with it, and I suspect far more than his OD. There are plenty of rig rundowns out there to consult for specifics.
Old 09-13-2019, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robj144 View Post
You guys are mentioning a lot of good pedals.

However, I'm absolutely amazed today what you can get for the money... for everything: guitars, amps, and pedals are no exception.

The Xtomp I already mentioned is an absolutely outstanding pedal that has many OD's and other effects for about $70. And, trust me, the pedal sounds amazing and authentic. I have an actual tube screamer and the Xtomp has an emulation of one and I honestly can't hear the difference at all.

Besides that, I have a Caline OD that even has a boost, that I picked up for about $20. It's pretty good. It has three very distinctive types of OD and two different boosts. I also have a Mosky Klon Clone that I got for $19. That's also pretty good, but it does color the sound a bit, but it's good for certain styles.

Also, although they are meant to be amp simulators, the Joyo amp pedals, can shape your sound in front of an amp and the drive on them can be used as an OD too. The $30 Joyo British Pedal sounds absolutely amazing in front of every amp I've paired it with. It's a really crunchy OD that's not muddy at all. I HIGHLY recommend everyone buy these Joyo amp pedals. Specifically the American and British pedal.
Hey Rob, yep, many of those Joyo pedals are inexpensive and sound great.
Old 09-17-2019, 05:45 PM

I've been using a Barber Direct Drive since 2003. I just purchased a Barber Gain Changer. The DD has a thicker OD with more midrange. The GC is capable of a more open, lower gain OD. I like them both and am probably set for a looong time. I have no intention of diving head first down the dirt box rabbit hole, never to be seen again. I gig 50+ times a year.

1984 Carvin LB-40 bass
1986 Carvin DC-125 two humbucker
1996 Taylor 412
La Patrie Concert
2012 American Standard Telecaster
1981 Carvin DC 100
Harley Benton LP JR DC
Bushman Delta Frost & Suzuki harmonicas
Artley flute
Six-plus decade old vocal apparatus
Old 09-18-2019, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
I'll have to look up the Hot Wax. How do you like the Crayon?
I like both the Hot Tubes and Crayon side. The Crayon is a bit edgier, think Hard Rock like Green Day, AC/DC, The Kinks. The Hot Tubes side is smoother and a great Bluesy OD tone but it can get pretty grindy too if needed. The 2 together go into full-blown Carlos Santana lead kind of thing.

The only thing I don't like is how finicky the knobs can be. I like lots of gain in my OD & Distortion - small increments in the volume knob can make an enormous difference in volume. I put it in a box to carry to gigs to keep from inadvertently turning the knobs.

For the wide variety of stuff we play, I find the ability to access 3 overdrives with one pedal an incredibly useful feature.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 09-18-2019, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roylor4 View Post
I like both the Hot Tubes and Crayon side. The Crayon is a bit edgier, think Hard Rock like Green Day, AC/DC, The Kinks. The Hot Tubes side is smoother and a great Bluesy OD tone but it can get pretty grindy too if needed. The 2 together go into full-blown Carlos Santana lead kind of thing.

The only thing I don't like is how finicky the knobs can be. I like lots of gain in my OD & Distortion - small increments in the volume knob can make an enormous difference in volume. I put it in a box to carry to gigs to keep from inadvertently turning the knobs.

For the wide variety of stuff we play, I find the ability to access 3 overdrives with one pedal an incredibly useful feature.
Thanks for the follow-up. That's one pedal I'll have to give a try.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars