The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 06-11-2018, 12:44 PM

Default Good advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
Bugera V5:
  • $199 street, can be had for $149-159 on Coupon/Holiday Sale Days at your friendly local big-box/online dealer;
  • 5W single-ended tube amp with simple controls (gain/tone/volume/reverb) and all the tonal goodness that implies - kinda '50s tweed meets pre-Top Boost Vox in character - the built-in attenuator lets you power down to 1W/0.1W (so you may not always need the built-in headphone jack), and there's enough full-power volume for band practice/coffeehouse gigs;
  • The inherent Bugera V-Series tonal balance favors single-coil/mini-bucker pickups; I use mine with a Strat, Yamaha SSC-500, P-90 LP, Taylor solidbody, and Gretsch semihollow - sounds wonderful with all of them, and the fact that it's a lightweight/compact package doesn't hurt either...
I bought a V5 on the basis of Steve's opinions, plus affordability, features and size. I expect to own it as long as I'm playing. I used to have a Roland Micro Cube, but neither the general tone or the built-in effects impressed me, and I don't miss it one bit.
- Tacoma EK36C (ancient cedar Little Jumbo, '01, #145/150)
- Seagull SWS Maritime Mini Jumbo ('16)
- Simon & Patrick Pro Folk Rosewood ('01)
- Godin Montreal Premiere Supreme
- Ibanez Mikro Bass
Old 06-11-2018, 01:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemoon View Post
Hi folks

I have a nice strat that’s not getting the attention it deserves. I originally got it with a blues jr tweed amp which looked cool, but was just too loud in the house with a new baby. He’s a little bigger now so with some free time I’m looking at trying my hand at electric today.

What would everyone recommend? I’m looking at smaller practice amps with a headphone jack being a must. I’ve been looking at the Roland microcube and a few others.

Budget less than $200.
Thanks!
Since I am not a fan of the cheaper modeling amp sound

I would recommend either:

A Bugera V5 Infinium 5 watt for real tube amp sound.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...tube-combo-amp

Or An Orange Crush 20 RT for Solid State

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...ombo-amp-black.

Both offer HeadPhone out and good amp sound when you might want to play through the speaker . I have the Orange Crush

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 06-11-2018, 03:35 PM

I get close and then more options keep popping up. Just to clarify I’m looking at options to play without headphones but also have the ability to plug headphones in when the wee one goes to bed. I started with the blues jr but quickly sold it as it was just too loud (I know I know. If it’s too loud..)for noodling around the house
Old 06-11-2018, 03:43 PM

Quote:
I get close and then more options keep popping up. Just to clarify I’m looking at options to play without headphones but also have the ability to plug headphones in when the wee one goes to bed. I started with the blues jr but quickly sold it as it was just too loud (I know I know. If it’s too loud..)for noodling around the house
the clarification changes my responses since i figured you had an amp with a speaker and thus would not need another amp with a speaker.

i would now recommend that you go to your local big box store and play thru a ton of different amps, with your guitar in hand. that way you'll get an idea of what sound you really want and what you can afford. otherwise, you are going on just what we say when you are the one who will be making the decision.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 06-11-2018, 06:35 PM
Charter Member

Thanks to advice here, I bought a Bugera V5 Infinium. It’s within the OP’s budget, has a headphone jack, and the .1 setting is just fine for a home practice volume level. 1 watt cranked up is like a playing a good stereo system when you want to rock out, and at 5 watts it gets really, really loud. I love the quality and range of sounds, and think it’s an excellent value for the price.
Strandberg Boden Original 6
Eastman T185MX
G&L ASAT Classic USA Butterscotch Blonde
Rickenbacher Lap Steel
Voyage-Air VAD-2
Martin SW00-DB Machiche
1968 Guild F-112
Taylor 322e 12 Fret V Class
Old 06-11-2018, 08:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Also to clarify my post, both the Orange Crush the Bugera have the ability to play either as a Headphone practice amp or as a small combo amp

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Old 06-12-2018, 06:35 AM
Charter Member

One more STRONG recommendation for the Yamaha THR 10.

I have had several low-wattage tube amps, and still have two in the stable, a 6W Cornford Harlequin and a 2W Trainwreck clone with a full complement of five subminiature tubes. Both amps are great for what they are, but for your circumstances, I have a hard time imagining a better amp than the THR. It's very flexible, the models sound and FEEL very close to the real deal, it's got a headphone out, an aux in, and you can even hook it up to your computer with a USB cable. It even runs on batteries, for uber portability. I've even taken it on trips, as it fits cross-wise in the bottom of my carry-on Samsonite, with room left over for clothes, shaving kit, etc. One last consideration, it's got lovely, wife-friendly aesthetics, and I catch no grief when I leave it sitting out in the living room.

I gave one to my best friend from college last year because he was getting back into electric guitar. Needless to say, our bromance has never been stronger...
1974 Alvarez/Yairi CY120
2010 Baranik Parlor
2013 Circa OM-18
2014 Claxton OM Traditional
2014 Blackbird Rider
Old 06-12-2018, 07:55 AM

Blackstar Fly 3

... or get your preferred flavor of preamp with speaker emulation, and plug that into computer speakers or something similar.
and a guitar-shaped-object
Old 06-12-2018, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deft Tungsman View Post

I have had several low-wattage tube amps, and still have two in the stable, a 6W Cornford Harlequin and a 2W Trainwreck clone with a full complement of five subminiature tubes. Both amps are great for what they are, but for your circumstances, I have a hard time imagining a better amp than the THR. It's very flexible, the models sound and FEEL very close to the real deal, it's got a headphone out, an aux in, and you can even hook it up to your computer with a USB cable. It even runs on batteries, for uber portability. I've even taken it on trips, as it fits cross-wise in the bottom of my carry-on Samsonite, with room left over for clothes, shaving kit, etc. One last consideration, it's got lovely, wife-friendly aesthetics, and I catch no grief when I leave it sitting out in the living room.

I gave one to my best friend from college last year because he was getting back into electric guitar. Needless to say, our bromance has never been stronger...

OK, after reading this went to Amazon and checked out the reviews and video. Dang, have to say the mini katana and Fly 3 I have are cute toys next to this thing. You guys keep getting me in trouble with more gear
Old 06-13-2018, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muscmp View Post
the clarification changes my responses since i figured you had an amp with a speaker and thus would not need another amp with a speaker.

i would now recommend that you go to your local big box store and play thru a ton of different amps, with your guitar in hand. that way you'll get an idea of what sound you really want and what you can afford. otherwise, you are going on just what we say when you are the one who will be making the decision.

play music!
I did that because I have some concerns about neighbors, the ORANGE CRUSH was one that stood out as needing a louder volume to sound right - I passed on it after I demoed it.
Old 06-13-2018, 06:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slide496 View Post
I did that because I have some concerns about neighbors, the ORANGE CRUSH was one that stood out as needing a louder volume to sound right - I passed on it after I demoed it.
So unlike the OP you are not wanting to use the headphone option ?

Obviously "sound right" at any given volume level is a condition of totally subjective perspective .

Which is fine. We all like different things

Sounds to me like you might want to look at low power tube amps, something like the Bugera which has a 1 watt selection

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Old 06-13-2018, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deft Tungsman View Post

I see a THR 10 and a THR10C do you know what the difference is?
Old 06-13-2018, 08:05 AM

The Katana 50 is my best suggestion. It has 3 wattage choices: 50W, 25W, and .5w, through a 12" speaker. It also has multiple "amp" choices, from cleans to overdriven, and even includes an acoustic setting. It sounds fantastic in pretty much all modes, and it's ridiculously affordable, unlike tube amps. Also has a myriad of effects, should you want them, although it's fine to use this amp directly, without dealing with all the inner software and settings.

The biggest advantage to non-tube amps in your situation is that you can get the tone you want at any volume (even set at 50W), unlike tube amps. Another suggestion would be the Fender Champ series - the one that's 40W is pretty good as well, although I stand by the Katana.
Old 06-13-2018, 09:12 AM

Street Cube.

Not bad stereo verb, chorus, delay, tuner built-in, plug a mic in if you want to sing at the same time, good amp modeling, and you don't even have to plug it in!
Old 06-13-2018, 09:53 AM

Try a ZT Lunchbox 200w , yes the size of a lunchbox . And I have gigged with it and it’s great for the house [emoji106]
Yamaha SLG200S
Yamaha NTX1200R
Taylor GSMiniE Rosewood
Joe Brown Uke
AER Compact 60
Marshall AS50D

Now 100% Acoustic and loving it ! No more GAS

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Tags
budget amplifier, practice amps