The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 03-17-2019, 12:48 PM

Default Yeah, I know this isn't recording, but...

The recording forum seems the most appropriate place to ask. I'm hoping to provide a bit of room treatment to improve how my acoustic guitar playing and singing sounds in my new studio. I mostly play unamplified, but often use a TC Helicon Play acoustic (and mike) that is attached to my studio monitors.

Furniture will be a 7 ft futon, my computer desk and chair, as well as a bookshelf.

The new music studio is 14 ft X 14 ft X 9 ft high ceiling. There are 2 doors on the back wall, a window and a door on the side walls. I'm just hoping to improve the playing/listening environment, without too much expense or trouble.

Any ideas?

Craig
Old 03-17-2019, 01:24 PM

Google, Ethan Winer. Get to his page and there's an abundance of how to, why, where etc.
Old 03-17-2019, 02:54 PM
Charter Member

Visit:
https://www.atsacoustics.com/

and try their room analysis here:
https://www.atsacoustics.com/page--F...ysis--ora.html

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 03-17-2019, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runamuck View Post
Google, Ethan Winer. Get to his page and there's an abundance of how to, why, where etc.
Thanks Runamuck. I found his site, and a couple of others like it a few months ago. A veritable fire hose of information. Great for recording enthusiasts, or acoustic engineers designing and building recording studios.

I'm not a recording enthusiast. Just a guitarist who sings a little and hopes to improve the acoustics of his music room. So solutions will need to be simple to install and cost-effective to acquire.

Perhaps there are no easy solutions, which would explain why so many amateur recording studios lack even basic acoustic treatment.

Again, thanks for the link. There is a lot of great information for designers there.
Old 03-17-2019, 04:07 PM

Here's my simplest suggestion then:

Sit in the middle of whatever room you're recording in
Hang a thick blanket directly behind the mics
Hang a thick blanket directly behind you
Be sure to use cardioid mics
Old 03-17-2019, 04:20 PM
Charter Member

First know that a square room is arguably one of the potentially most problematic.
( 9 ft ceiling is good)

That said if this there is still much you can do . However terms like "Cost effective" or "without too much expense" and "trouble" are all way subjective terms and vague. So I would first decide what your budget range is.

That will inform as to whether you may want to consider DYI or a commercial solution

In a nutshell the least you might want to consider is putting some bass traps in the four corners. Either ones you purchase or make yourself ( again depending on budget)

Also note that a Bookshelf ( full of books ) is actually a very good diffuser

If you decide you want to go with a commercial supplier would check out GIK acoustics https://www.gikacoustics.com/product-category/bass-traps/

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 03-17-2019, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
Thanks Rick. That was what I was looking for. Assuming I read the analysis correctly, it would cost $1,500 to $2,000 to get the reverb in the desired range, and perform low frequency control in the corners. Plus the installation of course. That's a bit more than I had hoped it would cost for basic live room acoustic control.

I wish you could know in advance how it would sound once treated. Then Perhaps I'd be more inclined to spend the money.
Old 03-18-2019, 07:22 AM

Ok, so you're not recording - you don't need to spend $1000 or even $500 to make it sound better.
Does it sound bad to you now? Exactly how - too much reverb/echo? Are the walls sheetrock? Floor hardwood or carpeted? If you clap your hands do you hear a quick slapback echo? You don't want to deaden the sound too much, it won't sound good for just playing.
You can build several 4"thkX2'X4' traps for less than $200 with a minimum of carpentry skills, using Rockwool or compressed fiberglass. Just a few traps placed around may be enough to stop the build-up of bass and natural reverb.
If you use Owns Corning OC703 panels - which are quite stiff - you can just wrap them with cloth (anything with an open weave will work), staple or fabric glue them (on the back surface) and then hang them on the walls by 'impaling' them on nails - no carpentry even needed.
You can find plenty of youtubes detailing how to do this.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 03-18-2019, 09:08 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Absolutely. It's effectiveness can be improved if you vary the distances of each book's spine from the front edge of the shelf to mimic what actual audio diffusers look like.
Old 03-18-2019, 09:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine View Post
Thanks Rick. That was what I was looking for. Assuming I read the analysis correctly, it would cost $1,500 to $2,000 to get the reverb in the desired range, and perform low frequency control in the corners. Plus the installation of course. That's a bit more than I had hoped it would cost for basic live room acoustic control.

I wish you could know in advance how it would sound once treated. Then Perhaps I'd be more inclined to spend the money.
My room is somewhat larger than your room. Got nineteen panels up on walls and ceiling. Cost was around $1200.

You don't have to take it that far. You would notice quite a difference with fewer panels up.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above

Last edited by rick-slo; 03-18-2019 at 03:56 PM.
Old 03-18-2019, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
First know that a square room is arguably one of the potentially most problematic.
( 9 ft ceiling is good)

That said if this there is still much you can do . However terms like "Cost effective" or "without too much expense" and "trouble" are all way subjective terms and vague. So I would first decide what your budget range is.

That will inform as to whether you may want to consider DYI or a commercial solution

In a nutshell the least you might want to consider is putting some bass traps in the four corners. Either ones you purchase or make yourself ( again depending on budget)

If you decide you want to go with a commercial supplier would check out GIK acoustics https://www.gikacoustics.com/product-category/bass-traps/
Thanks for this link! I called these folks this morning. I was transferred to an engineer without any hassle. Discussed my room and my needs, as well as budget range. Got great information on what issues should be treated first, then treatments to follow up with if still needed. Did I mention he was friendly, knowledgeable, and helpful? Very impressed with this company after my initial contact.
Old 03-18-2019, 04:09 PM

Default If I can build them anyone can

I built these
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 00A0560B-DC0C-48D2-81D3-9419FA9402C3.jpg (36.0 KB, 48 views)
‘20 Gibson 1960 Hummingbird reissue
‘16 Gibson Hummingbird Avant Guard (gigging guitar)

Note to self: Never play a guitar you aren’t willing to buy.
Old 03-18-2019, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine View Post
Thanks for this link! I called these folks this morning. I was transferred to an engineer without any hassle. Discussed my room and my needs, as well as budget range. Got great information on what issues should be treated first, then treatments to follow up with if still needed. Did I mention he was friendly, knowledgeable, and helpful? Very impressed with this company after my initial contact.

And GIK is helping finish out my room. I sent them measurements using REW software and they are building me some coner traps that won’t kill my room by making it too dead. They are friendly, knowledgeable and very helpful.
‘20 Gibson 1960 Hummingbird reissue
‘16 Gibson Hummingbird Avant Guard (gigging guitar)

Note to self: Never play a guitar you aren’t willing to buy.
Old 03-19-2019, 03:23 PM

I recommend Sound on Sound magazine Studio SOS articles (https://www.soundonsound.com/search/all/Studio%20sos).

Full of practical advise on all sorts of imperfect studio setups.

Hope you enjoy them (I do).

Regards,
Clive

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD