The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 03-09-2019, 03:55 PM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post

You will want an audio interface (probably USB) unit one with at least 2 mic inputs. For pretty good quality and low price the Focusrite Scarlett series is very popular
As I said in the first post, I already have an Alto mixer with a usb out.

My computer was one of the basic Dell's about 6 years ago....not real sure about all the specs, but again, for my level of recording I'm guessing it would be fine.

Old 03-10-2019, 08:34 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitness1 View Post
As I said in the first post, I already have an Alto mixer with a usb out.

My computer was one of the basic Dell's about 6 years ago....not real sure about all the specs, but again, for my level of recording I'm guessing it would be fine.
OK some additional thoughts:
If your going to actually try to use the benefits of using a DAW I would suggest you are going to also want to become functionally if only very basically computer literate.
(by no means a computer tech wiz ) but things like understanding and knowing the basic specs of your computer , will be important because most DAW's will list minimum specs that it will function with

There should be some selection in Windows that will bring up the computer specs
So I would guess ( pure speculation ) your Dell is probably OK if somewhat minimal, so the suggestion for Reaper is a good one, given it is one of the least CPU intensive "Full Featured" DAWs .... BTW you can try Reaper for free for something like 30 or 60 days, and on the web sight there is a link for video tutorials which I would recommend.... And Reaper is arguably the least expensive "Full Featured" DAW on the market at $60 I believe

Ah yes I forgot about your mixer ( which you certainly can use to get started, and perhaps beyond )
So it looks like the Alto has only a 2 channels of USB output (which will work for multi channel recording with the caveat), that you will have to make several passes to handle more than 2 tracks of recording , (not a big deal per se) but just something you will have to incorporate in to your standard workflow given that you mention additional guitar and vocal parts . Because the one biggest single benefits of using a DAW will be the ability to mix in the DAW. And also the ability to send raw unprocessed tracks to DAW and then use the plugin FX in the Daw as opposed to using the FX on mixer which cannot be undone in the DAW, because the advantage is in the DAW the FX are real time and can changed and adjusted right up until you export the final mix file to SoundCloud or Youtube etc.

The only question going forward will be how good the converters and the mic pres in the Alto are...( and they may be just fine , especially to get started )

As far as choosing a DAW : saying you are only doing "very simple recording" really has very little to with the fact that the feature set in the DAW perhaps being vast and something you will not use to full extent . ( Most of US never use anywhere near the full potential) ...

Rather think of this way: The feature set and overall quality of the workflow in a DAW is like the "playability" of a Guitar, it does not matter how simple or complex what you are playing is (or how well you actually play for that matter ) the better the playability the easier it will be to get to where you eventually want to be, and the more fun it is going to be on the Journey.....

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 03-10-2019 at 09:07 AM.
Old 03-10-2019, 11:30 AM
Musical minimalist

Thanks for all the info and help - I've obviously got a LOT to think about.

I spoke with an old friend on the phone yesterday who has some knowledge of this too. I'm not sure if I'm going to do anything right now. It seems (as I stated from the start) that this is MUCH more complex than I'd like it to be.

I enjoy recording via my current setup quite a bit when I get the inspiration....I like having everything right in front of me (controls etc)

Too bad Tascam can't come up with some software just like the machine I have!

Old 03-10-2019, 12:40 PM

In my experience the initial mic>interface>DAW setup stage is the easy part. Learning the ropes of acoustically treating a room, mic placement(s) and configurations, mixing, etc. are the far greater challenges. That said, the processes are fascinating and the experimentations loads of fun. Not a day passes for me now without an "ah, so that's how they do it" moment. As for the steep learning curve involved I am infinitely grateful.
Old 03-10-2019, 01:27 PM

Quote:
I'm such a tech idiot - it's hard to believe sometimes when it comes to computers. Because of that, I've conciously stayed away from any recording which involves them.

For probably 15 years now I've been using a Tascam DP-01FX - recording the tunes on it - recording to a CD on an outboard Sony CD recorder, then loading that into the computer (yes, I know - too many steps!)

I just recently realized that my Alto 802 live mixer has a USB output. My experience with a Lexicon Omega interface with Steinberg Cubase about 10 years ago still has me very scared of trying to go this route - I spent a whole weekend with the 500 page manual and the best I could do was get a recording sounding like I was underwater. It was sent back and the Tascam came back out quickly.

So, my question is - what is the EASIEST software to use given the fact that I normally never run more than 4-5 tracks. I almost always do the main guitar part and vocals in one track, then ad a couple harmony parts and a guitar solo or two. Nothing too fancy at all. Have no interest in programming drum parts or anything like that. My Alto has all the effects I need onboard too.

So, what do the experts have for tech dummies like me? Simple quality sound is the goal - driving me insane is not.

No help here.... But liked your attached recording and singing...
Old 03-10-2019, 02:08 PM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor B. View Post
In my experience the initial mic>interface>DAW setup stage is the easy part. Learning the ropes of acoustically treating a room, mic placement(s) and configurations, mixing, etc. are the far greater challenges.
That's where my Old Guy thing helps - the room/mics and mixing are second nature - it's those darn computers/software that make me crazy

Old 03-10-2019, 02:10 PM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CASD57 View Post
No help here.... But liked your attached recording and singing...
Thanks so much - there are another 15 tunes or so on my page.

Old 03-10-2019, 05:17 PM
Charter Member

It might help if you explained what you are having trouble with? Most DAWs look complicated, but if you don't use all the midi stuff, and don't go crazy with plugins, the process in all the ones I've used is virtually identical to your Tascam - create/select a track, arm it, set levels, and hit record. Most DAWs even have some mixer view that looks a lot like a physical recorder. So the only trick is to ignore the 99% of features you don't need and find the 2 or three buttons you do need.

There was a Tascam PortaStudio app on the ipad, but I think it's been dropped. GarageBand would be pretty close (on ipad or iphone). I see another app called Sonoma WireWorks that is supposed to be similar. Not sure what PC app would be similar. There at least used to be Pro Tools Lite versions that should be pretty simplified.

Your recording sounds nice, BTW, I think you're fine continuing to do whatever you're doing now - seems to work for you!
Old 03-10-2019, 05:38 PM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post

Your recording sounds nice, BTW, I think you're fine continuing to do whatever you're doing now - seems to work for you!
Thanks Doug......I'm not having "trouble" with anything - just know that this 15 year old Tascam isn't going to last forever, and as I noted, the process I use of getting the music out of it, and onto the internet is more labor intensive than it should be.

I could learn how to use the "direct" way with the Tascam, but with my luck about the time I figured it out, the unit will die on me!

I'm not a Mac guy, so that rules out some of the software. I was just hoping there was something super simple out there.

Old 03-10-2019, 06:28 PM

Quote:
I spent a whole weekend with the 500 page manual
heh, liar, liar, pants on fire!
Old 03-10-2019, 06:52 PM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty Ford View Post
heh, liar, liar, pants on fire!
Oh - I did. Huge levels of frustration.

It was 10 years ago or more, and my computer skills were worse then.

Old 03-10-2019, 07:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thanks Doug......I'm not having "trouble" with anything - just know that this 15 year old Tascam isn't going to last forever, and as I noted, the process I use of getting the music out of it, and onto the internet is more labor intensive than it should be.

I could learn how to use the "direct" way with the Tascam, but with my luck about the time I figured it out, the unit will die on me!

I'm not a Mac guy, so that rules out some of the software. I was just hoping there was something super simple out there.
Ah, so you're just pre-emptively looking for something. I think you'll find the learning curve to be smaller than you think, and that things are actually much easier with software than your current setup, once you get used to it. Many DAWs can post directly to soundcloud, itunes, etc, for example. Editing, while definitely involving a learning curve, is a game changer, and you'll wonder how you lived without it.

One suggestion is *dont* read that 500 page manual. I find most DAW manuals focus on stuff you'll never need, and you end up wading thru 300 pages of stuff about virtual instruments, MIDI and file management before ever getting to the one page you really need - create a track, press record, play.... You can learn the other stuff as you need it (which may be never).
Old 03-10-2019, 07:20 PM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
Ah, so you're just pre-emptively looking for something. I think you'll find the learning curve to be smaller than you think, and that things are actually much easier with software than your current setup, once you get used to it. Many DAWs can post directly to soundcloud, itunes, etc, for example. Editing, while definitely involving a learning curve, is a game changer, and you'll wonder how you lived without it.

One suggestion is *dont* read that 500 page manual. I find most DAW manuals focus on stuff you'll never need, and you end up wading thru 300 pages of stuff about virtual instruments, MIDI and file management before ever getting to the one page you really need - create a track, press record, play.... You can learn the other stuff as you need it (which may be never).

Thanks - yes, the only thing I"ve experienced is that very early version of Cubase (LE, I believe) Maybe I should just bite the bullet and try something again.

Old 03-10-2019, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Thanks - yes, the only thing I"ve experienced is that very early version of Cubase (LE, I believe) Maybe I should just bite the bullet and try something again.
If you decide to "bite the bullet", what you could do is check with studios in your area, find a studio guy someone you like, find out what DAW they're using and buy the light version of whatever it is. And then go to the studio guy you like and pay or trade him for a couple hours training. Maybe have him come to your house to set your stuff up if need be. Maybe even video tape it for future reference.

There's really not that many things you'll need to learn and having someone tutor you in it will separate the chaff from the wheat a whole lot quicker than you trying to do it on your own.

That's what I did about 15 years ago.
Old 03-10-2019, 10:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by runamuck View Post
go to the studio guy you like and pay or trade him for a couple hours training. Maybe have him come to your house to set your stuff up if need be. Maybe even video tape it for future reference.
This is a great idea. I also came from years of using tape, and for quite a while after starting to use the computer, I think my mindset was still on the sort of tape recorder workflow. Then I did a session at a good studio, and it was eye-opening. I'd never seen someone edit, mix, and generally manipulate the tracks like that. I learned a ton just watching the engineer work on a few songs, then went home and figured out how to do similar stuff with my own setup. Well worth paying for a short session to see how the pros do it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD