The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 11-02-2011, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deft Tungsman View Post
All quiet on the Goodall front, Enigma? Let us know what you've decided to do in the end. The suspense is killing me!
I'm going to buy it at a price both the manager and I agreed to. We're just waiting for the green light from GC Hollywood. I think they're waiting for it to age more and spike the price higher
Old 11-02-2011, 01:39 PM
Charter Member

Hallelujah! Welcome to the club, bro.
Old 11-05-2011, 08:26 PM

GC corporate is not dealing on vintage equipment until January 2012. I guess they want to sell the Goodall at its asking price. I'm not going to buy it at that price for all the reasons stated in this thread.

But, today I tried a mint, used Martin D-41! Wow! I'm really impressed. It didn't sound like a typical Martin that's warm at best, and dull at worst. The tone had all the clarity and boldness with beautiful overtones! The tone was Taylor-like, but with much more bottom end.

Instead of spending extra $500-800 on the Goodall for necessary repairs, I might have to save up a bit more and perhaps get this!

Last edited by enigma; 11-05-2011 at 09:13 PM.
Old 11-05-2011, 09:36 PM
Charter Member

Enigma,

I would certainly contact James regarding that guitar; he may be quite interested to work on a guitar that he made, some 31 years ago!

My new Goodall GC has a bolt-on neck; I'm not sure when James went to those, however... the old one is most assuredly finished with nitro lacquer, as well. I do not believe that a neck re-set would change the tone of the guitar, however... if it's a "structural" issue with the truss rod, James just might do the work for less than normal, I don't know.

As far as a time-frame for the repair goes, at this point it is just James and his son, Luke, doing all the work on the guitar-end; Jean, James' wife, handles most of the front office stuff. They're pretty busy... again, I think a phone call or email is in order, if that guitar is still int he picture for you...

play on.................................>

John
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 11-06-2011, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseth View Post
Enigma,

I would certainly contact James regarding that guitar; he may be quite interested to work on a guitar that he made, some 31 years ago!

My new Goodall GC has a bolt-on neck; I'm not sure when James went to those, however... the old one is most assuredly finished with nitro lacquer, as well. I do not believe that a neck re-set would change the tone of the guitar, however... if it's a "structural" issue with the truss rod, James just might do the work for less than normal, I don't know.

As far as a time-frame for the repair goes, at this point it is just James and his son, Luke, doing all the work on the guitar-end; Jean, James' wife, handles most of the front office stuff. They're pretty busy... again, I think a phone call or email is in order, if that guitar is still int he picture for you...

John
John, that was my plan. I'd like to contact James with this, and I'm sure he would be more than happy to reconnect and even repair one of his very earlier ones. But, as you say (saw interview about this) he has got to be very, very busy person. And, I would assume the repair cost to be "costly."

Last edited by enigma; 11-06-2011 at 11:42 AM.
Old 11-07-2011, 04:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseth View Post
Enigma,

John
I didn't realize this thread was here until I posted this guitar on another thread. Just bought it. Doesn't need a neck set. Just a change of strings and adjust the neck which I just did. Had it checked out by my luthier, no cracks, no repair. Just some scratches, nicks and some bad drop fill which I will address later in the week. Quite a player.
Old 11-07-2011, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe tone View Post
I didn't realize this thread was here until I posted this guitar on another thread. Just bought it. Doesn't need a neck set. Just a change of strings and adjust the neck which I just did. Had it checked out by my luthier, no cracks, no repair. Just some scratches, nicks and some bad drop fill which I will address later in the week. Quite a player.
Congrats Joe!

Incidentally, I went to Brooklyn to buy a used, 1980's ESP 400 Series Strat. When I went to the guy's apartment, I saw an acoustic that looked like a Goodall. Indeed, it was! It was a 1986 model. I asked him if I could try it, and he obliged. Needless to say, the tone and feel were fantastic! And, the condition was in very good condition (8/10). I noticed that this one was relatively heavier than the one we've been discussing on this thread. Anyway, I'll be looking for a used one in the near future.
Old 11-07-2011, 09:17 PM

So Joe Tone saved the day!!! (and the Goodall)

Blessings on the tone search Enigma
Santa Cruz Vintage Southerner
‘96 Gibson J-100
Old 11-07-2011, 09:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigma View Post
Congrats Joe!

Incidentally, I went to Brooklyn to buy a used, 1980's ESP 400 Series Strat. When I went to the guy's apartment, I saw an acoustic that looked like a Goodall. Indeed, it was! It was a 1986 model. I asked him if I could try it, and he obliged. Needless to say, the tone and feel were fantastic! And, the condition was in very good condition (8/10). I noticed that this one was relatively heavier than the one we've been discussing on this thread. Anyway, I'll be looking for a used one in the near future.
Blessings on your search. I just ran into this one and figured if it wasn't kosher I would just return it. It is a little worn but I think it adds character.
Old 11-07-2011, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcap View Post
Did you happen to play the Goodall nylon string guitar that The Podium has on its web site when you were there recently? Just curious what it is like.
Sorry, I did not follow this tread... No, I did not play the Goodall you mentioned. As I stated in the other tread, this "take off / put on" rule irritated me too much. I played what I came for: a few Hoffman's plus a few more guitars and then I was on my way to Hoffman's.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop