The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 07-03-2009, 01:03 PM

Default Cincinnati Flow Rag

Just wondered if anyone else has taken this piece on. I first heard Stefan Grossman play a version of it on his album Hot Dogs, which I bought in the mid-80s. I just love the piece: the neat chord progressions, the runs, and the lovely swinging feel. But it's a work in progress! Ernie Hawkins says he's been playing versions of it for 40 years and it strikes me as one of those pieces which undergoes constant improvement and transformation over the years. I've kind of nailed a hamfisted combination of Stefan Grossman's version from Blues, Rags and Hot Fiddle Tunes and one of Gary Davis's own versions from Country Blues Guitar (also transcribed by Grossman). Has anyone bought the Ernie Hawkins DVD lesson? I've listened to the clip from Guitar Videos and it sounds like he's added some great lines to the piece.
Old 07-04-2009, 11:53 AM

Don't own the Hawkins dvd, but it is a great song. Like a lot of things Davis arranged or composed (or popularized), it has a sound all it's own - when I first heard it, I realized there's yet another type of music I'd been missing all my life.

Seems slow and simple, but his music always seemed almost to go "in reverse", to me, somehow - his rhythm and syncopation are on a different level than other people's. He seemed to see music in quite a different way than lots of other people, I suppose that's what makes him so unique and exciting to listen to.

Never really sat down to really learn it - did go through it quite a few times, though. Just one of those songs on an endlessly growing "to learn" list, but it's definitly near the top of that list!

"Yeah!" - Blind Boy Fuller
Old 07-07-2009, 01:36 PM

I love this piece too, one of those great country blues/rags. Learned the version that Little Toby Walker plays (got the tab from his website)... and yes it's a fun extended work in progress

This and a few other tunes are prob'ly what turned me onto guitar in general, and fingerstyle in specific

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write