The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-25-2017, 07:56 AM

The only thing intriguing me is the COMPRESSION.... I think lack of compression that undersaddle piezos tend to accentuate is a big part of why they sound "less acoustic", for lack of a better description.... I wonder if adding a light compression (of any kind; even a compression pedal) could help with that?
2023 Traveler Redlands Spruce Concert

"Just play today. The rest will work itself out." - Bob from Brooklyn
Old 01-25-2017, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruger9 View Post
The only thing intriguing me is the COMPRESSION.... I think lack of compression that undersaddle piezos tend to accentuate is a big part of why they sound "less acoustic", for lack of a better description.... I wonder if adding a light compression (of any kind; even a compression pedal) could help with that?

Ha! Just try the body Rez pedal at the store and decide. :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 01-25-2017, 08:10 AM

Default Anyone tried this bodyrez pedal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by noledog View Post
As a full-time working musician, I use it my rig at times because for certain songs and attack, the Body Rez lends itself nicely with lite compression and mid scoop as well as a warm thick low end enhancement. It also has a nice phase switching feature...martingitdave's description in post #7 is spot on in my experience as well

I run the dial at about 12 to 1 o'clock. I use it both with my Takamine's that have Cool Tube systems and a Martin D18 that has a Baggs M80...it works nicely with both systems, but it's not always on because both Cooltube & M80 have a nice plug in play tone in themselves; Body Rez adds a nice additional flavor. So I recommend you give it a try to see if it works with your combination of attack/guitar/pickup system/amp.

Here's a recent live recording with D18/M80 with BodyRez on into a Fishman Loudbox Performer, just tune out the folks chatter.

Thanks for the shout out. Nice vid bro! You've got a beautiful voice and real emotion in your music. I wish you had a better and more respectful audience to play for. Peace.

Last edited by martingitdave; 01-25-2017 at 08:18 AM.
Old 01-25-2017, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
Ha! Just try the body Rez pedal at the store and decide. :-)

No no.. my guitars have preamps... but I was planning to buy a compressor anyway for my electric rig, I just never considered using it on acoustic until reading this thread...
2023 Traveler Redlands Spruce Concert

"Just play today. The rest will work itself out." - Bob from Brooklyn
Old 01-25-2017, 08:21 AM

Quote:
No no.. my guitars have preamps... but I was planning to buy a compressor anyway for my electric rig, I just never considered using it on acoustic until reading this thread...

Ah , got it!

Old 01-25-2017, 08:24 AM

Quote:
As a full-time working musician, I use it my rig at times because for certain songs and attack, the Body Rez lends itself nicely with lite compression and mid scoop as well as a warm thick low end enhancement. It also has a nice phase switching feature...martingitdave's description in post #7 is spot on in my experience as well

I run the dial at about 12 to 1 o'clock. I use it both with my Takamine's that have Cool Tube systems and a Martin D18 that has a Baggs M80...it works nicely with both systems, but it's not always on because both Cooltube & M80 have a nice plug in play tone in themselves; Body Rez adds a nice additional flavor. So I recommend you give it a try to see if it works with your combination of attack/guitar/pickup system/amp.

Here's a recent live recording with D18/M80 with BodyRez on into a Fishman Loudbox Performer, just tune out the folks chatter.

Love it - there's probably a reason that the local music shop where I take singing lessons has a setup with a Fishman Loudbox, BodyRez pedal, a TC vocal harmonizer, and a mic (a few other pedals too, such as a drum/bass loop generator) for test driving guitars. Of course, to sound as good as you, I'd need a singer to come and sing into the mic
Old 01-25-2017, 08:29 AM

Quote:
If you're thinking of getting a compressor pedal to use on acoustic, get a parallel compressor. Something like the Wampler Ego.

The parallel compressor lets you dial in how much of your dry sound you want to retain, as well as the effect level. This means you don't lose all your dynamics or attack.

A lot of the Ross style compressors will affect your whole signal.
Old 01-25-2017, 08:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thanks for the shout out. Nice vid bro! You've got a beautiful voice and real emotion in your music. I wish you had a better and more respectful audience to play for. Peace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstegeman View Post
Love it - there's probably a reason that the local music shop where I take singing lessons has a setup with a Fishman Loudbox, BodyRez pedal, a TC vocal harmonizer, and a mic (a few other pedals too, such as a drum/bass loop generator) for test driving guitars. Of course, to sound as good as you, I'd need a singer to come and sing into the mic
Thank you gentlemen for your kind comments!!

...dave, I jus' try to tune the chatter out at these type venues so I'm used to it LOL, but their tacos are so good!

...jstegeman, the Loudbox Performer is a gem of an amp; easy to plug n play with a nice transparent sound. That setup you described is a smart move by the music store imo to allow a good test drive. The Loudbox does not color the sound so you can really do the coloring if you will with the guitar itself, your hands and whatever pedals you might enjoy.

Thanks again guyz!

eric
Old 01-25-2017, 06:04 PM

Quote:
I like the tactile knobs on that product too. That would be my only issue with the Play Acoustic. However, I have everything preset, so the hard part is over.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I love the Boss unit. Very user friendly and only has what I want to use really, while the TC has all kinds of weirdo effects for electric guitarists maybe, and fairly user unfriendly? I would easily change everything (at a gig) on the boss while have to stop and think about the TC, scratch head and....

The good news with the Boss is you can easily change everything except the 'deeper layer' settings, which I haven't changed. I just want the splash of reverb, splash of delay - different for guitar and vocal - and the vocal effects occasionally. All settings can be saved to a preset for playing in a 'stomp mode' - perhaps save one with no effects, next with reverb, next with delay etc and live, stomp through them for different songs.

The bad news with the Boss is you can't 'name' the presets, or I don't think I can. So a month down the road and no idea what is in that one!

It is handy to save the settings in case you muck it up and want to 'undo'.

I should try my TC to compare, but there are so many leads to fiddle, and may be better to let sleeping dogs lie. In case the Boss don't work ever again...

BluesKing777.
Old 01-26-2017, 03:48 AM

Hi Noledog,
Great post and beautiful rendition of that song. What is in your vocal chain? You just going straight to the Loudbox from the mic or do you have some vocal processing in there?
Old 01-26-2017, 08:30 AM

Quote:

Wow just awesome, shows you with talent who cares what pedal your using! Lol
Is that your song?
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 01-26-2017, 10:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty C View Post
Hi Noledog,
Great post and beautiful rendition of that song. What is in your vocal chain? You just going straight to the Loudbox from the mic or do you have some vocal processing in there?
Hi Marty,

Thank you for the kind comments! ...Yes, I run my mic straight into the Loudbox, no processing. I use a touch of the Loudbox's built in delay just to add some airiness, no reverb. I like to keep things as pure as possible. In fact I can just plug both mic and guitar straight in -n- play and get a good sound on both, and do so for some venues. The Body Rez is something I add at times for a different flavor, but is not necessary for my sound and my vox are always wired straight in.

Thanks again mate!

eric
Old 01-26-2017, 10:28 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubleneck View Post
Wow just awesome, shows you with talent who cares what pedal your using! Lol
Is that your song?
Yo Dubbaneck,

Thank you much buddy for the kind words! ...and many times I don't use pedals and just plug straight in and sounds great. This particular venue's acoustics lend itself to using the attributes of the Body Rez, especially with my D18's high resonance in the low mids in which the Rez scoops out some.
My meager pedal board consists of:

Wireless > Body Rez > Carbon Copy > Seraphim to Loudbox Performer amp!

But only at certain venues where my setlist goes from chill to thrill, because I truly & rather I enjoy the straight in/up sound I get...certain reggae & rock tunes do benefit tho from a lil' sumthin' and also changes up sound from song to song.

I wish I wrote this song! BUT no its a cover and was written by Chris Stapleton, check him out he is awesome!

Cheers!

eric

Last edited by noledog; 01-26-2017 at 02:55 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification