The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 02-06-2012, 10:40 AM
Charter Member

not sure who said, but the best line i've heard so far is:

"if you want to make a small fortune building guitars, start with a big fortune."
Old 02-06-2012, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wencyjr View Post
not sure who said, but the best line i've heard so far is:

"if you want to make a small fortune building guitars, start with a big fortune."
That's my line...actually I stole it from my professor. We got essentially the same lecture as freshmen on day one of Architecture school. One of my professors hit us w/ that line, (substituting Architect for Luthier), and it has always stuck w/ me.

Last edited by architype; 02-06-2012 at 11:25 AM.
Old 02-06-2012, 11:24 AM
Charter Member

I can only write this with the regret of someone who did not follow their dream of building guitars when I was in High School - but there are some parts of my path that may help.

Lutherie is a highly specialized area of what is considered "fine woodworking" - precision building to exacting standards with very high quality materials. Even if you cannot find a luthier to work with, you may be able to find a furnituremaker, or even a antique restorer, that can help you learn how to appreciate and maintain tools - sharpening is critical, and knowing how to handle and use planes, chisels, knives, saws, and scrapers will be invaluable. Taking evening classes at a local junior college to learn proper and safe technique using machinery and hand power tools will be very useful. Keep your eyes open and start looking at flea markets and garage and estate sales for used high-quality hand tools - new, or from dealers, they can be very expensive. Even your sharpening stones, layout tools, and safety equipment will add up fast - and it will take years to put a good set together.

There are alot of good books that can help with almost every aspect of building, fixing, and modifying. Build kits - nowadays, you can easily get precision resawn sides, backs, and tops, as well as bridges, fretboards, and the like. As you get into it, if you decide you really want to pursue it, then look at colleges and programs that offer a degree - places like the North Bennett Street School - and try to get into one of those. There are a number of colleges that offer courses in lutherie, and also allow you to get your BA at the same time.

Compared to when I was your age, there are alot of good options available to you. Be aware, they are not cheap, and they are not easy - but they are available if you really want to do this. Lots and lots of hard work ahead - but even the possibility of the reward far outweighs the definite regret if you don't try -

Now - my path hasn't been all bad. I do have a small warehouse, filled with wonderful machinery, and more than enough fine hand and power tools and wood to keep me busy until long after I'm gone - and it's all paid for. Still no finished guitar, but it is in the works. I've given up the dream of getting paid to build guitars, but I still want to build them.

Good luck!
Old 02-07-2012, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurent Brondel View Post
I don't get some of the responses that pop up each time a young fellow asks what he needs to do to learn how to be a luthier....
Few, if any builders offer apprenticeship: most of us work alone in smallish shops, have a tight schedule and the liability/insurance cost is a dilemma (we all work with potentially dangerous power and hand tools).
I've been a cabinetmaker for 40 years, have owned my own business, and have had over 200 apprentices during my time in the trade. If I had a dollar for every time I've had an impassioned young man ask me how to become a cabinetmaker... (You know the rest...)

The truth of the matter is that passion by itself doesn't mean much when it comes to choosing a life's work. The emphasis is definitely on WORK... Passion is easily swept aside when the next big thing comes down the pike.

Where I live, on average, one person out of 12 who sign an apprenticeship contract makes it through a four-year apprenticeship. the rest fall by the wayside, somehow. They get bored, it's too hard work, they can make more money elsewhere, they're "just not into it anymore..."; the reasons are endless!

On the contrary, I believe that every impassioned apprentice should have a bucket of ice water thrown over him every time he asks the question. If he/she has the stick-to-it attitude, the work ethic, the skill, and finally, the passion to see it through the other side, then he'll have the making of a craftsman!

Anyone can ask a question on an internet forum. Very few have what it takes to become a luthier... I've seen it hundreds of times...

To the OP: try something in the real world... Read, work, try things, get some wood, try a build, get busy!

Last edited by resophil; 02-07-2012 at 07:06 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop