The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 10-17-2011, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin A View Post
I can only speak from my own experience.
My custom-made jumbo 12-string is a beast that is an absolute joy to play.
Warm, articulate, loud & rumbling (if need be) without the 'jangliness' often associated with 12s. African blackwood with italian spruce top.

front & back:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2.../frontrear.jpg
Kevin,

I know John Osthoff doesn't goof up too often...but has anyone pointed out that your guitar turned out backwards?

Seriously, that is gorgeous. I can only imagine how amazing it sounds and plays, even if it's backwards.
Old 10-18-2011, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asg420 View Post
Does anyone have some good recommendations for a really full bodied, warm, 12 string maker?

I appreciate it!

best,

asg
I own a full body warm 12 string from John Kinnaird that I love. I've played a really nice from Steve Kinnaird as well, but don't own it , both Brazilian Rosewood. I have a very powerful and loud jumbo (Laotian Ebony) from Joel Stehr.
Old 10-20-2011, 12:38 PM

Default Try JJ Donohue

I have a 12-string 12-fret Slope-Shouldered Dred from JJ Donohue. Nice deep and mellow tone. Highly recommended!

http://www.donohueguitars.com/

Pictures below! Slot-head 12 with quilted bubinga overlay. You can find it on the Donohue website in the Gallery.

Last edited by bwstl01; 01-10-2012 at 12:37 PM. Reason: Figured out how to post photos.
Old 11-12-2011, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPicker View Post
Re: 12 string maker, this is one I've read about. I've heard recordings of a couple of his 12 strings, sounded good to me, but you can decide yourself about warmth and full "bodied-ness"
http://www.facebook.com/note.php?not...64467186901971
He's actually got a "Builder's 2nd" guitar on ebay now, item # 260888384696 , if you move fast & the specs are appealing, I imagine it would be one heck of a value.
Old 11-15-2011, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asg420 View Post
Warm - I mean - a good balance of bass, mid and treble. I am finding that the 12's at my local guitar shops are way too bright and trebble focused.

I would like something with a full bodied sound - deep bottom end with just enough brightness for the highs to cut through.

asg
If you extend bass scale length by 1.5", you can get well balanced mid to bass with definition. Yes, I'm talking about multiscale 12 strings.

Tony
Old 11-16-2011, 11:27 AM

Default 12 string

Nick Apollonio up in Maine has made probably more 12s than anyone I have come across. He is quick, reasonably priced, and great to work with. Made a bunch for Gordon Bok, also Judy Collins, Paul Stookey.... He has a Facebook but not a web page. I am quite happy with the one he made for me, just like I wanted it to turn out.

The Bard Rocks
Old 11-17-2011, 06:33 PM

Default the Best in my opinion

Contact Scott Baxendale at www.baxendaleguitar.com. He can build you any kind of sound you want. I have two of his guitars and like all his guitars they are all hand made from start to finish. He uses basic wood working tools, no machine or computer cutters, etc.
His price is not cheep but I think it starts at $4000-4500. He is without a doubt the best builder or at least one of the best. My two are a set so to speak (I call them the twin's) a 6 and a 12 that has the same basic sound as the 6 but in a 12 string configuration.
he might even give you a small discount if you mention the "Spirit" sent you.

madgamer

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop