The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 07-09-2009, 11:22 AM
Charter Member

Default ~ The Fretboard Logic Topic ~

Because of how popular this book is, I thought it would be a good idea to make a topic to address any questions or comments concerning it. This book was recommended to me by quite a few forum members. Although I'm only 12 pages into the book, so far it's looking to be a decent investment. I'm currently practicing the chords of the CAGED sequence up and down the neck. Also, I'm practicing naming each chord by form and position. The next section introduces "Scales and Scale Forms".

I haven't gotten to anything terribly confusing yet, so the only real question I have now would be ....what should I look forward to? Honestly, I'm pretty bored so far. The book says that I should be able to "....recognize all five Basic Chord Forms in any position, and name the chord from any form and position." Assuming they mean instantly, I doubt I'll be moving to "Scales and Scale Forms" any time soon. . .
Old 07-09-2009, 11:34 AM
The Foreigner

I think this is an excellent book for learning the fretboard:

http://www.amazon.com/Guitar-Fretboa...7161097&sr=1-1

Now if only I can concentrate on one thing long enough to benefit from it!!
Transcriptions

(Yes, my PM Inbox is always full. For now, please send me an email at [my agf username]@gmail.com )

Last edited by mmmaak; 07-09-2009 at 11:43 AM.
Old 07-09-2009, 12:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmaak View Post

Exactly. This is the reason I'm gonna go ahead and (attempt to) stick with Fretboard Logic. The truth of the matter is, theres too many great books dedicated to understanding the guitar out there...but they are USELESS if we dont hone in and focus on one long enough to gain understanding.
Old 07-09-2009, 10:35 PM
The Foreigner

Quote:
Originally Posted by usb_chord View Post
Exactly. This is the reason I'm gonna go ahead and (attempt to) stick with Fretboard Logic. The truth of the matter is, theres too many great books dedicated to understanding the guitar out there...but they are USELESS if we dont hone in and focus on one long enough to gain understanding.
It's worth mentioning that Barrett's book is published by Musician's Institute (SoCal). I highly recommend it for anyone looking for a more formal "alternative" to Fretboard Logic (I have both). How far have you waded through FB, Brian?

P.S. Smart move using those "~" in your thread title. I think it helps it stand out from the rest. I may just "borrow" them
Transcriptions

(Yes, my PM Inbox is always full. For now, please send me an email at [my agf username]@gmail.com )
Old 07-10-2009, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Amen, I am guilty of buying a book, noodling around in it, grabing a book or dvd, noodling around in it. It is hard for me to stay focused with so many things/styles to learn.

The whole point of Christmas is Easter.
Old 07-10-2009, 05:45 AM

I've not read FretBoard Logic, but I did spend a few years of intense guitar study at North Texas State University (now UNT) when I was younger.

If I was going to attempt to learn from a book such as FretBoard logic, I think I'd take the following approach...

1. Read the entire book to get an idea of where it will ultimately take you and to get an idea of the steps along that path.

2. Map out a study/practice regime. How much time can you schedule in your life to devote to learning the material in the book (e.g. 1/2 a day). Then start adhering to that schedule.

3. Realize that it may take a substantial amount of time to master the entire book. I usually have a goal or two on guitar that I know will take 1 - 5 years (e.g. creating a really nice vibrato, changing right hand flatpicking technique, learning all the 7th chord arpeggios, etc.). The time is going to go by regardless of whether or not we're working on long term goals - why not meet the future with some accomplishment under our belts.

4. Most important of all - apply what you are learning into your playing. If you learn one new chord voicing, try using it in a song you know. If you learn a new scale pattern, try doodling in it when improvising over a tune.

Remember the main goal for us all should be to make music - not learn the fretboard. Learning the fretboard is a means to an end, not an end in and of itself. I've seen guys get sidetracked in the theory/fretboard world and neglect spending time learning SONGS. No one is going to pay a cover charge to go to a venue and hear us play scales and chord voicings - they're gonna want to hear SONGS. I try to spend 80% of my time learning SONGS and 20% studying theory/fretboard.

Have fun! I've been studying theory/fretboard pretty seriously since the late 1970s and feel like I'm just starting to scratch the surface!
Old 07-10-2009, 06:04 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I'm pretty bored so far. The book says that I should be able to "....recognize all five Basic Chord Forms in any position, and name the chord from any form and position." Assuming they mean instantly, I doubt I'll be moving to "Scales and Scale Forms" any time soon. . .
That's not that hard actually, you just gotta practice the chords up and down the neck and say the chord name outloud to yourself.

BTW, all "learn the guitar" books are boring, at least all the ones I have used, including fretboard, but that's one of the sacrifices you gotta make.

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 07-10-2009, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 815C View Post
I've not read FretBoard Logic, but I did spend a few years of intense guitar study at North Texas State University (now UNT) when I was younger.

If I was going to attempt to learn from a book such as FretBoard logic, I think I'd take the following approach...

1. Read the entire book to get an idea of where it will ultimately take you and to get an idea of the steps along that path.

2. Map out a study/practice regime. How much time can you schedule in your life to devote to learning the material in the book (e.g. 1/2 a day). Then start adhering to that schedule.

3. Realize that it may take a substantial amount of time to master the entire book. I usually have a goal or two on guitar that I know will take 1 - 5 years (e.g. creating a really nice vibrato, changing right hand flatpicking technique, learning all the 7th chord arpeggios, etc.). The time is going to go by regardless of whether or not we're working on long term goals - why not meet the future with some accomplishment under our belts.

4. Most important of all - apply what you are learning into your playing. If you learn one new chord voicing, try using it in a song you know. If you learn a new scale pattern, try doodling in it when improvising over a tune.

Remember the main goal for us all should be to make music - not learn the fretboard. Learning the fretboard is a means to an end, not an end in and of itself. I've seen guys get sidetracked in the theory/fretboard world and neglect spending time learning SONGS. No one is going to pay a cover charge to go to a venue and hear us play scales and chord voicings - they're gonna want to hear SONGS. I try to spend 80% of my time learning SONGS and 20% studying theory/fretboard.

Have fun! I've been studying theory/fretboard pretty seriously since the late 1970s and feel like I'm just starting to scratch the surface!
Wow, some serious stuff here. I went to your site and was impressed with the demo's.

I so agree with the explanation of what a player wants to get out of music for his own enjoyment and also what an audience would ant to listen to when a guy plays.

Some pretty heavy stuff here. I admire your obvious skills earned by way of some serious effort, as many pro's on this site have shown too.

Thanks. I'm a rank beginner by comparison but it's always a lesson in humility listening to what you guys can do and knowing what you did to get there! Nice!!

Your post makes it obvious how deep this music stuff can be. The bit about keeping songs in the forefront to keep your interest up hits home. Study always gets boring unless you apply it to what it all means...songs!!

Man, some of you guys are amazing...and I know it didn't come via a book under your pillow.

Jeremy.
Old 07-10-2009, 08:23 AM

I used it to learn my barre chord shapes, and then quit on it after that. I could learn a lot more if I were to go back to it. I have the other book recommended above, too, the Guitar Fretboard Workbook. Both are distinctly useful, and not redundant material if you were to own both.

I read all of Fretboard Logic, but applied only limited amounts. Yes, I'm with the group that seems never to fully use any of my material.

I think we should all think about what 815C said about time passing anyway, may as well work on our long term goals. That was pithy.
Pono OO-20
Pono OP-30DC
Old 07-10-2009, 09:10 AM

Fretboard Logic volume I and II or the combined version is worth the money and should be part of your library. Volume III was not what I expected and I'd not recommend it.

It is a reference source; a wealth of information on what can be done, it is still up to you how you use that information to make music. I was expecting volume III to reveal this - it did not.

It's intent is to do what it's name implies - let you see the logic in our fretboard.

Last edited by Malcolm; 07-11-2009 at 10:38 AM.
Old 07-16-2009, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmaak View Post
I think this is an excellent book for learning the fretboard:

http://www.amazon.com/Guitar-Fretboa...7161097&sr=1-1

I have this book as well as Fretboard Logic and much prefer this one. It makes more to sense to "me."

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write