The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-03-2022, 10:01 PM

Certainly no disrespect intended to folks that think they have remedy's...... There is no way on the planet the smoke will ever disappear as once smoke infiltrates the body cavity it will be absorbed into the raw wood, nothing will ever remove the odor. Add the fact that the body cavity is hopefully being humidified, that elevated wood moisture will act like a magnet with the smoke.

Last edited by hifivic; 10-04-2022 at 10:56 AM.
Old 10-04-2022, 01:18 AM

Even though you have a good guitar case, you should probably just buy a new one. It will most likely solve the majority of your problem and you will avoid spending a lot of time on all possible alternative solutions with various plants and chemicals. Wipe down the guitar with a dry soft cloth and leave the guitar on the stand for some time and the smell will disappear/get acceptable over time.
Old 10-04-2022, 06:53 AM

Time is the biggest factor. Case needs to be open and in a place where fresh air is available, otherwise it will not come out of the padding.

Activated charcoal, baking soda, ozone are all good places to start, but nothing is going to be an overnight solution.

My thoughts. Separate the case and the guitar. The guitar will probably be the easiest to fix as it has the least amount of mass/absorbent material (yes, wood will retain the odors, but not as much as padding will). I would (horrors)...hang it on an interior wall for now, stuff some activated charcoal pouches into the body, and leave it for a month. Also, an air filter in the room will help, as will an ozone generator. You might consider giving the guitar a good wipe down on the finished areas. You could consider a polish as well, but that might trap any lingering contamination under the polish.

As for the case, there are some chemicals that would help get rid of the smell faster, but I am not a fan of cleaning chemicals in this situation. If you choose to go this way, then there are plenty of chemicals people use to get the smell out of a couch, and that's where I would start. If you do use chemicals, be sure to air it out completely and let the chemicals evaporate before putting the guitar back in the case.

A warning about baking soda. Do not sprinkle it into your case. No matter how much you vacuum the case afterwards, at least a little will remain. Since baking soda has abrasive qualities, this can result in it scratching/dulling the finish on your guitar as you take it out and put it in the case. It won't be immediately noticeable, but over time, it will start to show. Same for loose activated charcoal. If you use any of these products, make sure they are in containers. There are boxes of baking soda designed to be used in refrigerators where there is a front panel that can be removed and a cloth mesh underneath it. Use those boxes and be sure to tape the seams (including top and bottom) with duct tape to prevent leakage.
2022 Guild F512E - Maple

Last edited by Stonehauler; 10-04-2022 at 11:36 AM.
Old 10-04-2022, 07:16 AM
Charter Member

nothing is going to be an overnight solution

After reading a bunch of these thread over the years, I'm sure
that if I end up with a stinky (anything) I'm going to try an
ozone generator...

-Mike
Old 10-05-2022, 06:17 AM
Charter Member

Get a cat.
😉
Old 10-05-2022, 02:14 PM

The Ozone Generator did a remarkable job of significantly reducing or eliminating the smoke smell in the case and the guitar. So for those who said there's no solution or balked at the ozone generator, you're wrong.

I'm going to let both sit for a day and then smell again to see if there's a residual smell at all, but so far really excellent!

Last edited by DavidE; 10-05-2022 at 02:22 PM.
Old 10-05-2022, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidE View Post
Recently bought a guitar and case that stink of smoke. So far Ozium is not cutting it to get rid of the smoke smell.

Suggestions?
I had a Gibson ‘The Paul’ that just reeked of smoke what I received it. I recognize the a slab of walnut is very different that a much more delicate acoustic guitar, but I use 409 and Lemon oil alternatively for probably 20 times until the guitar had a nice neutral scent.

The case, one of the Chainsaw cases, I sprayed with Fabrese and let it outside in the sunlight and wind. Eventually even it smelled OK.

There’s a new product called Poopf that work for dog pee on artificial turf, it might work for the case too.

Ian
Old 10-06-2022, 06:30 AM
Charter Member

I agree with Mike...an ozone generator would be my last effort. Old used car trick...cut a red apple in half and put it in the case (obviously with the guitar removed) for a few days. On a small plate of course. And as someone else mentioned direct sunlight.

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 10-08-2022, 11:30 PM

Try some cat litter. Book dealers use it when they get smelly books.
Old 10-09-2022, 09:01 AM

Sell them both and find one that isn't ruined.
Alvarez MD60BG
Yamaha LL16RD
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Player Stratocaster
Old 10-09-2022, 12:51 PM

I left the case open on a covered porch for as long as it took, maybe a couple of weeks. When there was no chance of rain or dew, a set it close to the edge where it could get sunshine and be open to the night sky.

For the guitar, I first cleaned the outer surfaces with diluted dish detergent on a terrycloth rag. Then, I dropped a non-scented dryer sheet and a couple of tea bags into it and left it out on a stand. When conditions were right and I was at home, I placed it out on the covered porch, but always in shade.

It worked. Tobacco smoke odor is gone, and I've enjoyed the guitar for a decade. I'll be selling it soon; odor will not be a issue for guitar or case.

Last edited by jwing; 10-10-2022 at 07:45 AM.
Old 10-09-2022, 09:06 PM

Cigarette smoke leaves a tar residue (like the yellowed curtains back in the day), it’s never truly gone until the tar is gone.
Old 10-11-2022, 06:01 PM

Quote:
The Ozone Generator did a remarkable job of significantly reducing or eliminating the smoke smell in the case and the guitar.
The Ozone Generator did the trick for me as well. I no longer need it and will sell it to you cheap if you want it. Has a busted handle, but works great.
Mark
Old 10-11-2022, 11:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
The Ozone Generator did a remarkable job of significantly reducing or eliminating the smoke smell in the case and the guitar. So for those who said there's no solution or balked at the ozone generator, you're wrong.

I'm going to let both sit for a day and then smell again to see if there's a residual smell at all, but so far really excellent!
i'm coming late on this thread and was going to suggest highly you acquire an ozone generator or take it to Serv Pro and they could put it in the room where they have the generators to clean furniture and such thats been in a smoke fire.

appears you have one, thats a very good purchase. you can do multiple treatments if need be, usually two is most i've had to do to remove a deep old smoke odor from instruments and cases-and this does work fully if the generator is operating correct.

if you purchased one, you will find all sorts of use for it. cleans rooms in a house, inside of a car, etc. gets rid of odors with an organic chemical reaction. i'm sure you read the warnings, be sure to not go in the area for around 2 hours where the generator has been used as ozone has been shown to have specific health hazards until it leaves the area(and it will).

they work best without high humidity present, and a fresh air flow of some sort in the area that is being cleaned/generator used in.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion