The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 09-10-2022, 03:49 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostnote View Post
Earthquaker Devices makes some nice pedals, and IÂ’ve heard that the Plumes is one of them. IÂ’m eyeing a couple of their offerings right now, but (reminder to self) I donÂ’t need any more pedals. I only have one of their pedals, Arrows, and itÂ’s a cool one-knob...something. ItÂ’s sort of a boost, but it definitely adds some sparkle and presence at the same time. It sounds great into a Princeton Reverb with any guitar IÂ’ve tried. And it really works well with other pedals so itÂ’s on my board permanently. I have a thing for one-knob pedals; I have at least a half dozen good ones. There are no parameters, you either like the sound or you donÂ’t and you simply use more or less of it. Having said that, I love that the designers of these have put some cool circuits inside that interact in different ways as you turn the one knob.
Enjoy your Plumes.
Enjoying playing with it so far, havent really had an opportunity to really crank up my amp so my impressions so far might not be totally accurate....

But this thing makes a great stand alone OD pedal, I like it allot better than a regular Tube Screamer in that regard.

As a booster its awesome for solos and cleaning up single note riffs, which was my main concern.

Using that setting to put a little dirt on my clean tone it feels a tad too compressed though. And playing chords with the same boosted OD signal it just seems like there are some frequencies that have a bit too much going on. I can adjust it to do each of these things better, but I sacrifice somewhere else... but its doing a way better job of doing everything without any knob tweaking than any setting I've been able to get out of my amp.

All of which has me half convinced that I might almost need another OD pedal. Funny, because I really dont use effects much at all... but no matter how many levels of overdrive and reverb I have, it always seems like I could use just one more.
Old 09-10-2022, 06:05 PM

I love my Keeley Tone Workstation. It’s essentially 5 pedals in one. The Katana boost is a must if you want that extra oomph for your leads to cut through.
Old 09-10-2022, 07:54 PM

I don't have much expertise in this area, I only have one such pedal, Fulltone OCD & I find not using the drive function much but rather using the master volume as a boost (& the high peak) achieves for me what I think you're after, especially with my strat.

Martin D-28
Maton EA808 Australian
Maton EBG808 Performer
Cole Clark FL2-12
Suzuki Kiso J200
Old 09-11-2022, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxonblue View Post
I don't have much expertise in this area, I only have one such pedal, Fulltone OCD & I find not using the drive function much but rather using the master volume as a boost (& the high peak) achieves for me what I think you're after, especially with my strat.
Yeah I'm headed that way with this Plumes pedal, the longer I use it the more the gain goes down and the volume goes up. Because I'm also using it with my clean channel there is a limit to how far I can go in this direction. Agree with you heartily though, for boosting the OD just using volume is the way to go
Old 09-22-2022, 09:45 PM
Charter Member

Dig the Zendrive… Works very well with most of my electrics. Got turned on to it from Robben Ford who uses one when he’s not using his Dumble amp…
Lowden'87 L27FC Taylors’93 Kottke’94 910’82 855c(flor)Harp’19 Emerald Synergy (koa)’17 Doerr Solace select’12 Carmel OM ‘11 SCGC-FS Nylon:Sand,Cervantes.WeissSlide,Gypsy Elecs:Collings Eastside.Turners:RN6,RS6’59335Hist:Strat,Tele,Bass-Lakland,Fender Fretless.Amps:Princeton,Calif Blonde/xcab,Vox,Uke,Accordian,misc devices

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars