The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 06-20-2022, 11:18 AM

Origin FX Revival Drive Custom (very realistic amp like tone Plexi/5E3/AC15)
Mythical Overdrive (Klon type, sounds great with my Princeton Reverb)
FullDrive III (Classic Overdrive and Boost)
Old 06-20-2022, 11:58 AM
Charter Member

Xotic original run AH Soul Driven
Karma MTN-10

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 06-20-2022 at 12:03 PM.
Old 06-20-2022, 12:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Eastwood View Post
I recently picked a TC Zeus - also a Klon clone - and it does everything I need. Add a little girth for rhythm, or some smooth warmth for lead - I don’t think there’s an unusable tone in the thing. Not bad for around $60.
I have used primarily a Boss Blue Driver pedal for years, and while I like this pedal a great deal, I, too, have been very tempted to buy the TC Zeus pedal. The demo provides some great overdrive sounds in my opinion. And as you've noted, it's not terribly expensive.

I should just do it!

- Glenn
Old 06-20-2022, 01:41 PM

My original Marshall Blues Breaker ha been my #1 overdrive for darn near 30 years.

It's pretty much a one trick pony, but it does that trick very, very well. It has sent many boteek offerings to new owners.

A few years ago, I took a flyer on a used Tone City Bad Horse (klone) and what a great pedal. Never played a real klon before, so no idea how it stacks up, but there is not a bad sound in this pedal.

The two work well together also.
Old 06-20-2022, 03:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
I have used primarily a Boss Blue Driver pedal for years, and while I like this pedal a great deal, I, too, have been very tempted to buy the TC Zeus pedal. The demo provides some great overdrive sounds in my opinion. And as you've noted, it's not terribly expensive.

I should just do it!

- Glenn
I watched lots of reviews - this was the one that really sold me on it. Actually trying it out on a visit to Sweetwater sealed the deal.

Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 06-20-2022, 05:08 PM

Very timely post ! I just had a BD-2 delivered this afternoon and I'm looking forward to trying it out.

In the past I haven't use pedals too much, but I recently acquired an amp with no master volume and since I play mostly at lower "inside voice" volume I decided I needed a pedal to add a bit of grit. Considered several, but the BD-2 seems to have a lot of devotees, reportedly doesn't color your overall tone too much, and doesn't cost more than my amp.

Any usage tips from those who have them?

TD
Old 06-20-2022, 05:25 PM
Charter Member

Anybody here tried the Emerson EM-Drive Transparent Overdrive?
Old 06-20-2022, 05:47 PM

My favorite dirt pedal is an early version (without the fuzz switch) of the MI Audio Blues Pro. While it can get really gainy with plenty of overdrive, I have it set for the most subtle almost imperceptible overdrive. That is the best pedal I have heard for that particular sound. I then have a Barber Direct Drive for a bit more overdrive and having them both on gives me more overdrive. So the two pedals give me three levels of dirt.
'18 Martin GP-28E
'65 Epiphone Zenith archtop
Old 06-20-2022, 08:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Eastwood View Post
I watched lots of reviews - this was the one that really sold me on it. Actually trying it out on a visit to Sweetwater sealed the deal.

That was a great demo David! Thanks so much!

I am going to have to order one of these things!

- Glenn
Old 06-21-2022, 12:43 AM
Charter Member

My favorite is my Strymon Sunset. I can get just about any kind of overdrive tone I want out of it.
Old 06-21-2022, 10:24 AM
Cocobologist

Wampler Tumnus
Timmy
OCD v2

Depends on the guitar. Timmy seems the most versatile of the three, and sounds great in combo with either one of the others.

Gain setting on all of them is max 25%-30% - Just gettin' gritty. That allows the stacking of the pedals without getting all mushy.

| '02 814c Custom (Coco/Sitka) | '03 912ce Custom (Coco/Engelmann)| '06 K65ce | '17 J45 Std. | '10 Breedlove Revival OM DLX (EIR/Adi) | Lots of electrics...
Old 06-22-2022, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdyer View Post
Very timely post ! I just had a BD-2 delivered this afternoon and I'm looking forward to trying it out.

In the past I haven't use pedals too much, but I recently acquired an amp with no master volume and since I play mostly at lower "inside voice" volume I decided I needed a pedal to add a bit of grit. Considered several, but the BD-2 seems to have a lot of devotees, reportedly doesn't color your overall tone too much, and doesn't cost more than my amp.

Any usage tips from those who have them?

TD
I've never had the BD-2 Blues Driver (although I'd like to have one) but I imagine it's like other OD pedals. One thing to try is to set the pedal with the Gain down very low (0-1) and the Volume up high (7-9). That's a popular OD setting but it does depend on what tone you're looking for and your amp settings.

Let us know how you like it.
Old 06-22-2022, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
I've never had the BD-2 Blues Driver (although I'd like to have one) but I imagine it's like other OD pedals. One thing to try is to set the pedal with the Gain down very low (0-1) and the Volume up high (7-9). That's a popular OD setting but it does depend on what tone you're looking for and your amp settings.

Let us know how you like it.
Yep it keeps the OD from getting fizzy and the gain of the pedal just pushes the front end of the amp enough to get the amp working.
Old 06-22-2022, 02:58 PM
Charter Member

The pedal I use most all the time is a Tomsline "Bluesey", a little half size pedal that is incredibly inexpensive - like $40 +or-! Needs an adaptor for power (no battery function), but I don't like using batteries anyway...

Although the Bluesey will do a substantial distortion/overdrive, where it shines is using just enough to simulate a Fender tube-amp just beginning to break up... that little bit of "crack" to the notes when you dig in a bit. Sounds wonderful through my '76 Deluxe Reverb, but surprisingly good with my old Yamaha GL-100-112 solid state amp.

I also have a Tube Screamer, should I need/want something a bit more hectic, but. truth be told, since I got that little Bluesey pedal, I've not used the Tube Screamer but one time...
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 06-22-2022, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
Yep it keeps the OD from getting fizzy and the gain of the pedal just pushes the front end of the amp enough to get the amp working.
Thanks for the tip Dru and rockabilly. I'll give that a try.

I haven't spent too much time with it yet and I'm still experimenting. After being a mostly acoustic player the past few years, this newfangled electric stuff is kind of fun.

TD

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars