The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 06-20-2022, 01:00 AM

Default Your "Go To" dirt pedals

Interested to hear what you guys use for your overdriven/distorted tones. I'm not talking Amp gain, I'm talking about pedals. What dirt pedal is your number one go to?

For me it's the Boss BD-2 Blues Driver. that little blue bas.tard can just do no wrong for me. I've tried tube screamers and all kinds of overdrive, distortion and fuzz pedals, tried to get a good tone from natural amp gain and always come up short, but the BD-2 just wins for me every time. I primarily play an AmPro Strat and the blues driver just compliments the single coil pups perfectly. If I want a low gain lighter style Hendrix tone, I have the gain pointing straight at the top right corner of the pedal and its perfect. If i want that heavier trashier SRV kinda sound for a pride and joy or crossfire sound for example I much crank the gain almost to max and its perfect.

I love the BD-2 because it's just an awesome pedal for dialling in low gain and higher gain drives. If you play through a solid state amp this thing will also get your tone incredibly close to a tube amp.

Anyway, enough rambling from me about the BD-2. What dirt pedals do you guys all love?
Old 06-20-2022, 03:13 AM

MXR white double double drive. One position is similar to a Blues Driver. The other position is like a tube screamer. I have the switch in the Tube Screamer position. I also have an MXR red Distortion pedal, but the white double double drive gets the most use.
Old 06-20-2022, 03:19 AM

I too love the BD and got mine as a sort of vintage crunch pedal. I mainly use it in our Beatles show to get an approximation of the hard driven Vox sound of the early songs. It is capable of much harder overdrive of course but for those tones I use the Tonebone Trimode. It has two drive settings and depending on what guitar I am putting through it I can get serious hard rock tones if I need them. I love its filter and eq switches as well as the eq knobs which really helps me dial in the tones I want.
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 06-20-2022, 04:19 AM

I have two that I really like

Barber Burn Unit (I've had it for about 20 years, they are hard to find these days)

Fulltone OCD

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 06-20-2022, 04:55 AM
Charter Member

I’ve been through the BD-2, various tube screamers, Soul Food, Timmy, Fulldrive 3, etc, and for the past couple years I’ve just had two TC Mojo Mojo pedals on my board. One is set for low gain, edge of breakup sounds that’s almost always on except when I want a really crispy clean sound, and a second one set for higher gain and slightly boosted volume that I use for some lead playing. And if I want to approach real distortion, I kick em both on.

I see people try to describe what various gain / dirt pedals sound like. I’ve never been able to get much from those descriptions and I have no words for what any of em sound like. But every time I cycle through a few of them to check them out, the Mojo Mojo pedals just somehow sound best to me. So they stay on my board. They’re relatively cheap too - I think they were like $40-$45 each when I bought them.

-Ray
Old 06-20-2022, 05:38 AM

I have an old ProCo Rat pedal that sounds incredible with the 'distortion' control dialled almost all the way off and the 'volume' (it's a gain control really) dimed into a clean amp. You get a dirty-edged but super clear sound with heaps of sustain and easy to call on 5th harmonic feedback.

Unless I was playing metal, I'd never look any further.

Yamaha MIJ CJX32
Avalon L32
Avalon A32 Legacy
Lowden 022
Gibson J-185
Takamine TNV360sc
Cole Clark Fat Lady 3
Old 06-20-2022, 06:27 AM
Charter Member

I really like the EHX Soul Food. A supposed Klon Centaur clone,
whatever... it's a nice sounding drive.

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

My Band's Spotify page https://open.spotify.com/artist/2KKD...SVeZXf046SaPoQ
Old 06-20-2022, 06:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jricc View Post
whatever... it's a nice, smooth sounding drive.
I recently picked a TC Zeus - also a Klon clone - and it does everything I need. Add a little girth for rhythm, or some smooth warmth for lead - I don’t think there’s an unusable tone in the thing. Not bad for around $60.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 06-20-2022, 07:15 AM

Zendrive
J Rockett Alan Holdsworth
Chandler Tube Overdrive

I really prefer the sound of a Tweed Deluxe about halfway up.
Old 06-20-2022, 07:25 AM

Another for the Proco Rat 🤘🐀 and Fuzzhugger Algal Bloom. Tom from Fuzzhugger makes awesome, versatile and affordable fuzz pedals and runs the I Love Fuzz forum. Really nice guy. 1 minute demo for those interested
Old 06-20-2022, 08:52 AM

I really love my The Blessed Mother pedal from Heather Brown Electronicals. I like the control I get between dirty and clean. Great tone for my tastes nowadays (I used to be a ProCo Rat loyalist).
Old 06-20-2022, 09:11 AM

Barber Gain Changer SR. Sounds like a Tweed Fender.

2019 Applegate SJ
Old 06-20-2022, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jricc View Post
whatever... it's a nice sounding drive.
The Soul Food is my 'always on' pedal and it's my favorite.

I also have the Tube Screamer TS9DX and the Danelectro Cool Cat Transparent OD (version 1) on my board for when I want something different.
Old 06-20-2022, 10:17 AM
Guest 33123

JHS Morning Glory v4
J Rockett Archer Ikon
Maxon OD 808
plus a Xotic Super Sweet booster for the Strat

Last edited by Guest 33123; 06-23-2022 at 07:52 AM.
Old 06-20-2022, 10:54 AM

tc electronic MOJOMOJO
Tech 21 Sansamp GT2
Cave Passive Pedals B-Drive Mk II

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars