The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-04-2022, 01:41 PM

Default Seagull

What an odd brand name. I don't like seagulls. The are huge, aggressive, loud scavengers. Frightening birds. Much worse than pigeons. Sometimes they ambush the food out of your hands. I grew up in west Scotland and they were even worse there than here in Boston. The would come up to you while you sat on a bench and bum smokes or chips off you, and they were quite threatening about it too. We are all scared of them.

I've played a Seagull S6 and thought it was a real swell guitar. It's curious that a guitar brand would have this name.
Old 10-04-2022, 01:46 PM

Smile

When I was in high school, Jonathon Livingston Seagull was required reading and I enjoyed it
Life from the point of view of a bored seagull who really enjoyed flying.

But I agree with you, I've seen seagulls dive in and grab fish right out of people's hands at the UK Pavilion in Epcot where the fish & chips are awesome!
Old 10-04-2022, 01:52 PM
Charter Member

That is a great post.

The can't have many seagulls in Montreal, at least not compared to the west of Scotland. They are really nice guitars though. In many respects the S6 is a contemporary classic. I reckon that in 100 years time some boutique luthiers will be making expensive reproductions of the Seagull S6. That's if Godin's great, great, great grandchildren aren't still making them!

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Old 10-04-2022, 01:56 PM

Seagulls CAN be annoying but only if you bring what they need to survive (food) to their habitat (the seaside).

Here's some real facts about these amazing birds:
https://onekindplanet.org/animal/seagull/
https://learnbirdwatching.com/facts-about-seagulls/

And some stuff about the guitar company with the same name:
https://sixstringacoustic.com/all-ab...eagull-guitars
Old 10-04-2022, 01:58 PM

Robert Godin is a huge fan of Chekov.

I just made that up.

Kidding aside, my first solid topped guitar was a Seagull S6+Spruce, that I bought with money from my first job at age 16.

I still have it. That's gotta say something.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 10-04-2022, 05:20 PM

i got a 2005 seagul mjm6 with a lr baggs element pickup from the factory. its my couch guitar if i dont feel like getting up and going up stairs to my music room.
seagull mjm6
alvarez mfa66CE
recording king ro-310
Taylor 312ce IBANEZ AF95FM
Old 10-04-2022, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin, Wales View Post
That is a great post.

The can't have many seagulls in Montreal, at least not compared to the west of Scotland. They are really nice guitars though. In many respects the S6 is a contemporary classic. I reckon that in 100 years time some boutique luthiers will be making expensive reproductions of the Seagull S6. That's if Godin's great, great, great grandchildren aren't still making them!
There are many seagulls in Montreal, as there are everywhere. Great guitars, annoying birds, for sure.
Old 10-05-2022, 04:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefsb View Post
What an odd brand name. I don't like seagulls. The are huge, aggressive, loud scavengers. Frightening birds. Much worse than pigeons. Sometimes they ambush the food out of your hands. I grew up in west Scotland and they were even worse there than here in Boston. The would come up to you while you sat on a bench and bum smokes or chips off you, and they were quite threatening about it too. We are all scared of them.
I don't think seagulls have the same negative associations for most people. For me, they connote fresh sea air, summer vacations, beautiful seascapes, and abundant nature.
Old 10-05-2022, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyO View Post
When I was in high school, Jonathon Livingston Seagull was required reading and I enjoyed it
Life from the point of view of a bored seagull who really enjoyed flying.

But I agree with you, I've seen seagulls dive in and grab fish right out of people's hands at the UK Pavilion in Epcot where the fish & chips are awesome!
The lost idiotic thing I ever read. It was about nothing.
Old 10-05-2022, 05:26 AM

The name isn't the problem...

It's the phenomenally ugly headstock.
Old 10-05-2022, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewalling View Post
I don't think seagulls have the same negative associations for most people. For me, they connote fresh sea air, summer vacations, beautiful seascapes, and abundant nature.
For me they mean the car needs cleaning frequently.
Old 10-05-2022, 07:06 AM

Seagulls.....Well we have them in Idaho.."What You Say"? Yep they hang out at the city dump

For the guitars... I like them, but they seemed to have scaled back on production and new designs, I emailed them last year and they said nothing new this year (2021)
Old 10-05-2022, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silurian View Post
The name isn't the problem...

It's the phenomenally ugly headstock.
I thought you were going to say the glued neck heel was the problem...
Old 10-05-2022, 09:06 AM

I wish I still had the S6 I bought in 1996.

I agree on the headstock, though.
Old 10-05-2022, 10:00 AM

Had a Seagull S6 (folk model, left handed ) in the 90s. Attracted to it because it was different from the usual Yamahas etc. (loved the headstock). It was before they started putting that awful maroon paint/ dye all over the back of the body and neck. Id never heard of the brand, and hanging in the store with the sunlight streaming on it, looked a lovely honey colour with light woodgrain. I thought it was a hand built boutique guitar at first glance. I liked the smaller body size and the flattened wide neck fitted like a glove so I took it home.
I had it for a few years. It was never a loud guitar and scratched easily ,but for a time I loved it. After a ,while it developed a huge neck hump and had to go, .

As for the real thing, admirably suited to the harsh environment where they are supposed to live, but , around civilisation, aggressive big scary birds, with a razor beak, strength and attitude. Best avoided.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion