The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-04-2022, 06:41 PM

Default Low on GAS

I really have very low GAS recently. I have all the guitars I need. Sure I wouldn’t mind upgrading to some of higher quality, for example I have a nice Epiphone ES-335 Pro, but a real Gibson would be nice.

I play mostly electric, but I’m learning to appreciate my acoustic guitars more all the time. I recently bought an Emerald X20, and I have an Ibanez EW40 but I feel I should have ‘nice’ acoustic. My limit was $2-2.5k. I know that’s not a lot for a nice acoustic, but it’s what I have spend.

I have a few preferences. 14 fret, cutaway, chrome or nickel hardware, mahogany(I think), gloss finish (at least on the face).

Today I went to my local Sam Ash to see if I could play a 224ce-K DLX. It’s very pretty and plays very nicely, the tone was everything I expected. I like the Taylor tone.

They also had a 324 and a 327 so I just had to play them too! Both were fabulous! I felt they were a step up from the 224 in feel, fit, finish and tone. Really spectacular to my eye and ear! Isn’t that usually the way?!

But each has a ‘problem’ for my preference list. The 224 has gold hardware which would be fairly to change. The 327 doesn’t have a cutout so that’s definitely out, and the 324 is all Matt finish but otherwise seems to be the top choice.

My question is, what are the pro’s and con’s of buffing the face to get to a gloss finish? Would it need to have additional clear coat before being buffed? Could I custom order a gloss 324 from Taylor?

Lastly does anyone have any comments or experience with either guitar? Any comments, positive or negative?

Thank you, I appreciate any input.

Ian
SoCal
Old 10-04-2022, 07:27 PM
Charter Member

Before you do anything check out Furch guitars.

Youtube! Please subscribe!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 10-04-2022, 08:06 PM
Charter Member

Another thought is for the same money you can do really well used.

As an example in our classifieds ( no affiliation ) https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=653881

Sent from my motorola edge (2021) using Acoustic Guitar Forum mobile app
Old 10-04-2022, 08:15 PM
Charter Member

There are so many acoustic guitars to choose from you should be able to get exactly what you want without having to mod it.

I know that with electrics, my personal experience, is to mod them heavily, nothing is sacred, not even the paint or finish. But to me, that sensibility doesn't translate to acoustics.

Just my opinion.
Old 10-04-2022, 08:17 PM

Default Low on GAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
I have heard good things, but it’s a long drive to the only local retailer. I also am considering Faith which are from my home country.

Both are at the high end of my budget, but are seemingly lovely instruments.

Ian
SoCal
Old 10-04-2022, 08:19 PM

Default Low on GAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspiring View Post
Another thought is for the same money you can do really well used.

As an example in our classifieds ( no affiliation ) https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=653881

Sent from my motorola edge (2021) using Acoustic Guitar Forum mobile app
I have no issues with used, but they do need to be in perfect condition or very close to it.

Ian
SoCal
Old 10-04-2022, 08:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
I own a Furch Vintage 2 OM, Furchs are the best guitar for the money that I know of.

I just happened to be at Elderly Instruments in Lansing, MI today and they have about 15 Furchs right now. I was able to do a side-by-side comparison with a $6,000 Bourgeois OM and the same Vintage Furch that I own, about $2,300, and there was virtually no difference.
Old 10-04-2022, 08:23 PM

Default Low on GAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardN View Post
There are so many acoustic guitars to choose from you should be able to get exactly what you want without having to mod it.

I know that with electrics, my personal experience, is to mod them heavily, nothing is sacred, not even the paint or finish. But to me, that sensibility doesn't translate to acoustics.

Just my opinion.
I agree! I don’t buy off the shelf electrics anymore. I’ll build what I need/want. It’s a certain way to never get your money back, but I never sell anyway!

I don’t think changing the hardware to silver (Taylor) hardware would change anything a I’d keep the originals anyway.

Polishing the front is subtle enough it may not either, maybe!

Ian
SoCal
Old 10-04-2022, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redduc View Post
I really have very low GAS recently. I have all the guitars I need. Sure I wouldn’t mind upgrading to some of higher quality, for example I have a nice Epiphone ES-335 Pro, but a real Gibson would be nice.

I play mostly electric, but I’m learning to appreciate my acoustic guitars more all the time. I recently bought an Emerald X20...but I feel I should have a ‘nice’ acoustic. My limit was $2-2.5k...
For starters, many if not most of us here on the General subforum (myself included) would consider an Emerald X20 a "nice" acoustic by any stretch of the imagination - and the folks on the Carbon Fiber subforum would be wondering what you could possibly find lacking...

By the same token, if you're playing mostly electric (BTW you're talking to a kindred spirit here ) and the Epi is your sole instrument, IMO your long-term interests would be better-served with an upgrade in that department - and while a brand-new Gibson semi may be a bit out of reach on a $2500 budget, there's a bunch of nice pro-level stuff from Eastman, Guild, Gretsch, Godin (just to mention a few) that would admirably fill your needs, in some cases well under your target figure...

I also don't know what you're using for amplification, but if you're even remotely considering a pro-quality tube combo amp suffice it to say that prices have taken a huge leap over the last two years - and don't count on things coming down any time soon, if at all; that said, it's still possible to get a flagship model from Fender or Vox, a midline model from Mesa or the British mainstays, or any one of a number of low- to mid-powered boutique builds within your stated budget - and, in some cases, have enough money left over to purchase a better-quality second instrument as well...

On the other hand, if you really have the itch for a wooden box and a specific set of requirements, these folks get a lot of love around here - and can likely as not hand-build you an instrument to your exact specs for the price of a factory piece:

http://www.halcyonguitars.com/

Best of luck...
Old 10-04-2022, 09:12 PM

Default Low on GAS

I do consider the Emerald a ‘nice’ albeit non-traditional guitar. I love it! The way it plays, and the way it sounds. I especially connect to it as I have been working with Carbon Fiber since the mid ‘80’s! But there is still a lure for a traditional wood acoustic.

I have over 40 guitars all together, a dozen are Strats, some LP’s, SG’s and a good mix of others, 6 string and 12, 1 Bass and even a mid 60’s Fender Lap Steel!

One of my favorite acoustics is my Taylor 562 12 String, it started my GAS for a Taylor 6 string.

While I was at Sam Ash I also played a nice looking, used Martin, I don’t know what model but it met most of my prerequisites. I could not get on with it at all! I tried to play a few simple Barre chords and I struggled to get clean notes! It was weird! On the other hand the Taylor’s, all 3 of them, just felt easy and familiar.

The Faith Guitars retailer is fairly close so I may take a run up there on Friday. I do like that Taylor are a Californian manufacturer as a proud Anglo-Californian!

Ian
SoCal

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion