The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-04-2022, 11:53 AM
Charter Member

Default Stores in Denver, CO

Any good shops to check out while I’m in Denver for a conference?
Old 10-04-2022, 12:11 PM
Charter Member

Pretty slim pickings considering the size of the metro, but here are the highlights:

-Olde Town Pickin Parlor in Arvada (Collings dealer, otherwise mostly consignment - sometimes a delightful selection)

-Denver Folklore Center in Denver (Collings, Martin, Taylor, Bourgeois, Pacrim; small, but local institution quality)

-Golden Music (Band Instrument store, but large space with rare Dowina guitars)

-3 pretty horrible GC's

-2 frumpy Music Go Rounds

*Wildwood is just north of Denver, but I think they might have moved all online/appt only.
*Robbs in Boulder closed, but HB Woodsongs remains.

Last edited by scotchnspeed; 10-04-2022 at 06:25 PM.
Old 10-04-2022, 12:31 PM

Guitars Etc. in Longmont.

Longmont is up at the north end of Boulder county, but has more new stuff than anybody in the area.

Martin, Collings, Gibson, Epiphone, Taylor, Fender, Maton, and a lot of nice banjos and mandolins and ukes.

You can see what they have by exploring here https://guitarsetc.com/

There are a couple of smaller shops within walking distance of Etc.

Naples, FL

1972 Martin D18 (Kimsified, so there!)
Alvarez Yairi PYM70
Yamaha LS-TA with sunburst finish
Republic parlor resonator
Too many ukeleles
Old 10-04-2022, 01:02 PM

Scotchnspeed pretty much nailed it but in addition there is a tiny shop/lutherie on Broadway in Denver called Victor's Guitars that is worth at least checking out........mostly used or guitars that were made there.
Old 10-04-2022, 01:10 PM
Charter Member

I was just in Victors the other day, while walking the dog. They have several nice guitars in stock, and some of the locally made one are lovely. Always a nice place to stop in, but the samplings are a bit random, yet good.
Old 10-04-2022, 01:30 PM

If you can drive....out in Wheatridge there's a decent place that's been there 50 years or so: http://www.drumcityguitarland.com/
Old 10-04-2022, 02:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifivic View Post
Scotchnspeed pretty much nailed it but in addition there is a tiny shop/lutherie on Broadway in Denver called Victor's Guitars that is worth at least checking out........mostly used or guitars that were made there.
Agreed and great addition! This is Edward Victor Dick's lutherie shop on Broadway - tends to have some nice consignments. Watch out for the odd hours, though!
Old 10-04-2022, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotchnspeed View Post
Agreed and great addition! This is Edward Victor Dick's lutherie shop on Broadway - tends to have some nice consignments. Watch out for the odd hours, though!
Lol, yea took me several visits before I figured that out!
Old 10-04-2022, 05:49 PM

Lots of great mentions here.

Wildwood's showroom is still closed, which is obviously a bummer, but, hey.... if you buy a really expensive Wildwood t-shirt you get a free guitar!

HB Woodsongs is great but timing is everything. Last time I went in there it was "mom take me to get my band/ orchestra rental". It was impossible to hear myself play but my coworker advised me that there is an "acoustic room" they will let you in upon request. Was only my second time in (nice staff though for sure).

I will say that the GC in Englewood is the nicest one in the state (I've been to all of them). For whatever reason they just seem more "upscale" and usually have not only a wider, but a nicer selection of guitars (Lone Tree is one of the nicest areas in the state).
Old 10-06-2022, 08:56 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for all the suggestions! I ended up not even having time to explore the city on this trip, but I’ll probably be out that way in 6 months or so and I’ll be more prepared!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion