The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-02-2022, 06:45 PM
Charter Member

I'd rather play with a good rhythm player,

than a guy that tries to play lead that shouldn't.
Old 10-02-2022, 07:46 PM

We went out with friends last night and saw a really good local blues band (Chicago style), and the guitar player tore up the pentatonic scale, which is something I always wished I could do. But these days I'm happy to play a Lyle Lovett or John Prine song without muffing the chords or rhythm, to the point where the feeling says more than a bunch of pentatonic notes.

2011 Martin M-36
2016 Martin GPC-35E
2016 Martin D12X1 Custom Centennial
1992 Takamine EF-341C, great for campfires

85 Gibson Les Paul Custom
82 Gibson SG
96 Fender Clapton Stratocaster
91 Fender Deluxe Telecaster Plus
86 Fender MIJ E-series Stratocaster
Old 10-04-2022, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logdy View Post
Just want to get your folks opinion. I retired 6+ years ago. I’ve always loved music and picked up a D-18 post retirement. I really enjoy playing along with music after downloading the chords from Ultimate Guitar. Is wrong to not have a burning desire to play lead? My favorites are eagles, Bonnie Raitt, Springsteen, Neil young etc… I have over 150+ tunes/chords in my library and try to learn a new song every week or so,
"Check out Guitar George, he knows all the chords,
But he's strictly rhythm, he doesn't wanna make it cry or sing"

(Mark Knopler - Sultans of Swing)
Danelectro DC59-12 (open G)
Generic Parlor
Banjo- (An ideal Cricket Bat)
Old 10-04-2022, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logdy View Post
Just want to get your folks opinion. I retired 6+ years ago. I’ve always loved music and picked up a D-18 post retirement. I really enjoy playing along with music after downloading the chords from Ultimate Guitar. Is wrong to not have a burning desire to play lead? My favorites are eagles, Bonnie Raitt, Springsteen, Neil young etc… I have over 150+ tunes/chords in my library and try to learn a new song every week or so,

Just simply here to point out that where you're at is a really good place. Being self taught, I depended on playing along to songs I enjoyed to improve my playing and after a few decades I'm happy at how it worked out.

But trust me, the day will come when you'll get comfortable enough to maybe start picking out some bass runs with your rhythm chords and perhaps maybe a few years later you'll drop the pick and do some of the folky fingerstyle stuff that your favorites do. Keep at it and you'll certainly improve as long as you enjoy what you're doing!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion