The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 05-07-2020, 09:49 AM
Charter Member

Default Marquis Electric Guitars

Never thought much about Marquis until my buddy showed me a couple of his - quality was impressive. So I took a second look when I saw this unique model on Craigslist. The neck was straight, everything worked and the price was too good to pass up.

All it needed was matching knobs, headstock adjusting rod cover plate and a used gold-ish tailpiece. Plays and sounds better than my Gibson Les Paul Studio, which I sold because it didn't measure up to the Marquis. Gigged with it a few times, and it was my go-to axe for Steppenwolf. I think the pickups are DiMarzio but I don't know.

Started this thread to see more Marquis. Is there a fan/enthusiast website? Pics are always good.

Last edited by tinnitus; 05-08-2020 at 11:54 AM.
Old 05-07-2020, 10:40 AM

Just going by the pictures I'll say it's early-70's Japanese manufacture, housed in a period Gibson-style case and typical of the "lawsuit" copies of American instruments - IME better than much of the stuff that was coming out of the big-name factories at the time (one of my students had a similar LP Custom copy back then and I couldn't get enough of it); I'll also say that the pickups are later additions (probably '80s DiMarzio Super II's judging by the design and patina - I had an Ovation Ultra GP with the same pickups in cream) - the originals would have been some variation of a humbucker design, and I've seen not only open- and closed-top Gibson style (Univox used to fit their open-tops with a metal protective ring - good idea that should have been adopted by other manufacturers) but a variation on the '67-68 Hofner type, with a solid exposed center bar...

Use it well, often and LOUD...
Old 05-07-2020, 02:30 PM

What a beauty! I don't know anything about Marquis but I'll do some Googling. I agree with both yourself and Steve (^) that it looks like a DiMarzio Super Distortion (I have a couple).
Old 01-30-2022, 02:37 PM

Talking

A while ago i sold the Gibson les Paul 1960 re issue…..

8 months later a friend sold me a Marquis LP…. I don’t miss the Gibson anymore
Old 01-30-2022, 04:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarlex View Post
A while ago i sold the Gibson les Paul 1960 re issue…..

8 months later a friend sold me a Marquis LP…. I don’t miss the Gibson anymore
I'm glad you enjoy it. Would love to see a picture.
Old 09-25-2022, 02:13 PM

Red face

OIf i could i would, but no idea how to, can’t find a button to find the foto library!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars