The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-18-2017, 12:09 PM

Default In love with the most expensive guitar in store...

My boyfriend has been lovely and bought me several guitars over the years including my dream guitar Martin 000-15M. It's his birthday coming up so I wanted to buy HIM a guitar. We go to L&M and what does he fall in love with? The Taylor K24CE at $6200... why!!!

Someone please tell me there is an all-solid Koa guitar in existence that sounds great but doesn't cost more than my car?!?!
Martin 000-15M
Taylor GS Mini
Old 09-18-2017, 12:11 PM

Default Why!!

Hi Amber!

He would know that you REALLY love him if you bought him that!

Welcome to the syndrome known as GAS!
Old 09-18-2017, 12:23 PM

$6200 seems a bit steep but there are a few out there with special appointments which sell for around that price. Why don'y you visit one of our forum sponsors to see if you can get a good deal on one, asking price for a brandnew standard K24ce is usually around $4300.

Ludwig
Old 09-18-2017, 12:45 PM

Sorry for your pain, Amber. You know what Laurel and Hardy would say?
"This is a fine kettle of fish you've gotten us into this time".
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 09-18-2017, 12:53 PM
Charter Member

Ludwig Von Beerhofen's advice is good. Don't assume that L&M's posted price is what you have to pay. Don't be afraid to ask for their best price and/or shop online and do the same. And if you're still concerned about buying a guitar that costs more than your car, the solution is simple. Buy a new car.....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 09-18-2017, 12:56 PM

Amber, you are a keeper! Lucky boyfriend.....

At $6200 something is wrong. You list your location as Florida, but L&M usually means Long & McQuade in Canada? That would explain the difference......
$6200 is even more than the MSRP price shown on the Taylor web site, and well more than the $4400 MAP advertised on sites like www.Elderly.com and Musician's Friend. And I'd bet that our forum sponsors can do better than that, but you have to call them directly.

I have a 424-LTD from 2007 which is all koa and very comparable to the newer K24's. They sold new for around $2K back then, and there were not that many 424's out there, being a limited edition. If you could find one used (mine is NOT for sale, as it will be the very last wood guitar I part with) the only thing you are giving up is the fancy vine inlay on the fret board, and the latest ES2 system.

Not me, but here is a YT video showing it in action:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JATPe7KEV0g

Last edited by Earl49; 09-18-2017 at 01:06 PM.
Old 09-18-2017, 12:57 PM

The solution to this is actually pretty simple....assuming you have the cash, give him roughly what he has spent on you and call it even. Then, he can put it towards the guitar, or he can buy something else. Sometimes people's desires shift when they are shelling out some cash too.

I wish my wife played guitar...
Old 09-18-2017, 02:09 PM

Part of a long-term healthy relationship is discussing finances. Decide between the two of you how much you should spend and what you should get. Most people in close relationships would not like $6,200.00 surprises.
Old 09-18-2017, 02:13 PM

Taylor did a 324ce Koa ltd a couple of years ago. Great sounding guitars without the bling. You can still find them for sale on eBay or reverb.com
https://reverb.com/p/taylor-324ce-k-natural
Old 09-18-2017, 02:21 PM

That 324 koa looks like a great alternative to a full-blown K24, and very similar to my 424-LTD.
Old 09-18-2017, 02:23 PM

Lots of those available for that price new; same one used for roughly $1750
https://reverb.com/item/6193090-gorg...eat-shape-ohsc
Old 09-18-2017, 03:28 PM
Charter Member

I think it ca be a minefield to buy someone else a guitar. What did he love about the guitar in question? Did he love it in an "I really want one" kind of way or in a "that's really something" kind of way (which isn't the same thing)? Would he love another guitar of the same model as much as he loved a particular example of a model he actually played?

Those of us who've bought guitars over the years recognize all of these distinctions. I've seen guitars that floored me in various ways that I never would have purchased or even wanted to receive as a gift, for a variety of reasons. In some cases, a guitar might have a very special look but not sound all that great. Or sound great but not suit my playing style. As much as it can be fun to surprise somebody, for something in this price range, a bit of dialog can really help things go right.

Maybe you can give him a "gift certificate" that you make yourself, just as a prop to discussing the fact that you'd like to help him get a guitar he'd love, to the extent that you can swing it (with or without some contribution from him). If he really wants something that's beyond your means or even his and yours combined, then maybe the two of you can plan a way to save up, together, to make that dream happen. He may well prefer something now that's a bit more modest than something that initially impressed him but that would involve waiting a long time to save the extra cash.

None of the specifics above may necessarily be accurate. The larger point, though, is that a dialog, even if it spoils the surprise somewhat, may actually lead to a more satisfactory outcome. Nothing would be more awkward for him than to have you spend a fortune on a guitar that he liked in a store but wouldn't necessarily want to own. That situation has happened on occasion and the recipient can then face the choice between keeping a guitar rather than selling it to get something preferred, merely to avoid giving offense.

Do some talking. I think he'll be thrilled that you're even thinking about getting him a great guitar and will probably be glad to have some input.

And props for being such a generous and kind person to consider such a great gift for someone special.
Old 09-18-2017, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by devellis View Post
I think it ca be a minefield to buy someone else a guitar.
+1

IMO a guitar is a complex box of decisions and choices, all very personal, and all very important to the player.

Instead of selecting a $4,000 guitar to give, I'd put 40 100 dollar bills in a birthday card stating what it is for.
Old 09-18-2017, 04:32 PM

I'm sorry. Koa is expensive. Be careful with a guy who wants you to spend $6200 on a guitar for him. Hopefully, he's in love with you as much as the most expensive guitar in the store. If so, he'd ask for a $200 Yamaha, play it happily, and save for a ring. :-). Friendly advice from Uncle Dave.
Old 09-18-2017, 04:42 PM

I was playing a guitar in the shop in town a few weeks ago and was quite smitten with it. I am fairly sure it was the same Taylor model.... but it was $4200 or so, rather than in the $6000's..... still an expensive guitar. An impressive guitar as well.... but I am I agreement with devellis. My wife bought me a Washburn 12 string years ago, which I did not like. Far from a Taylor Koa guitar, but I waited 10 years before trading it on something else.....
Seagull Natural Elements Dreadnaught
Taylor 418e
Taylor 514ce LTD

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
k24ce, koa, taylor