The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 11-13-2014, 11:08 PM

Default Need Alvarez 5005 Information

HI
I just purchased an Alvarez 5005 classical, and I'm trying to find some information.
It has a brownish label with an Eagle on it, with the name Alvarez Guitars under it. Below that, model 5005 & 6 Ano 71. I think this means it was made in 1971. Below that it says made in Japan

Can anyone tell me if this is an Yari made model and what woods it's constructed from? I think the top is cedar, sides and back may be rosewood.

And information is greatly appreciated!

Ray
Old 11-16-2014, 12:06 PM

Googled this contribution from another site. Cannot vouch for its accuracy, but it does seem to be relevant:

"A lot of people who own vintage Alvarez guitars are pretty confused about these models: Alvarez 5001 , Alvarez 5003 and Alvarez 5005 mainly because there are exactly the same models that are made in Korea or made in Japan. In fact, in the case of Alvarez 5001 and 5003, there are even those with labels that are also marked Made in Japan, but are poorly made and with completely different designs and wood. If you want good Alvarez 5001 or 5003, avoid those with black and white labels at all costs. If you can find the Alvarez 5001 or 5003 with the original label that's made in Japan, then you shouldn't think twice. The Alvarez 5001 -- the one with the original brownish label that says "Alvarez Classic Handmade" comes with solid cedar top, unlike the Alvarez 5001 with white label, which has a laminated spruce top and mahogany back and sides. The Alvarez 5001 with the original Classic Handmade label comes with SOLID spruce top and most models I've seen come with laminated rosewood back and sides, but I have also seen some of them with SOLID Indian rosewood back and sides. Those laminated models also used Indian rosewood to thicken the sides and backs that are genuine Indian rosewoods. In any case, even those with laminated rosewood back and sides surpass the sound projection, sweetness and playability of my Yairi CY-140 and my CY-120. I've had several Kazuo Yairis, but the Alvarez 5001 is much more impressive. Alvarez 5005 is a fantastic guitar, as well. Some models come with Brazilian rosewood backs and Indian rosewood sides."

Martin D-15M
Taylor 420 Maple
Alvarez MD80
Alvarez MD80/12

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Tags
alvarez 5005, classical guitar, yari