The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 11-12-2014, 07:45 PM

Default New guitar day!

Had a good New Guitar Day today. This showed up at my office:

But it's not a Taylor! I will admit that the afternoon dragged on a bit as I kept stealing glances at the box sitting in the corner of my office.

Then, when I (finally) arrived home, I unwrapped this:

[Seller's pics, haven't had time to take new ones]

This is a 2010 Kenny Hill Estudio 628C. I've been wanting to experiment with some short scale guitars as I've finally decided that my left hand flexibility just isn't ideal for a 650mm scale length. I picked up a Cordoba Cadete a few weeks ago, and I like the 615mm scale length, but it's probably a bit shorter than I "need" it to be, and the narrower nut feels a bit cramped. I spotted this Kenny Hill on craigslist and fortunately the seller was willing to ship the guitar halfway across the country.

I'm deeply impressed. For a little more than $400, this guitar has excellent tone, great separation, and wonderful playability. It's too early to make a final judgment, but I get the feeling that the 630ish mm scale length will prove to be the sweet spot for me. And the short scale length gives up nothing in sound to the rest of my (modest) guitar collection -- it may well be the loudest guitar I own, and have the boldest, punchiest basses of any of them.

I have a feeling that some of the 650mm scale guitars in my house will be heading out the door in the near future...
Old 11-12-2014, 08:07 PM

Nice! I'm becoming a big fan of shorter scale as well.
Old 11-15-2014, 01:01 PM

Congrats Geoff!

I noticed a few people get guitars delivered to their office. Is that so that you're around to take delivery?
Old 11-15-2014, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Congrats Geoff!

I noticed a few people get guitars delivered to their office. Is that so that you're around to take delivery?
Yes, essentially. As it happened, my wife was home sick that day, so it would have been fine, but I did not want to miss delivery (or, have the driver decide to ignore the signature requirement and leave it out in the cold). Instead, I have it delivered to the office where the receptionist can sign for it, then it can sit in my office in the box and warm up gradually and be ready to open up and play by the time I head home.
Old 11-15-2014, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgeoffriau View Post
Yes, essentially. As it happened, my wife was home sick that day, so it would have been fine, but I did not want to miss delivery (or, have the driver decide to ignore the signature requirement and leave it out in the cold). Instead, I have it delivered to the office where the receptionist can sign for it, then it can sit in my office in the box and warm up gradually and be ready to open up and play by the time I head home.
Ditto for me as well...

Martin D-15M
Taylor 420 Maple
Alvarez MD80
Alvarez MD80/12

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical