The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 12-29-2020, 03:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alnico5 View Post
I play with a cowboy capo guy. I generally play open. We aren't playing the same chords in the way. It might add a fullness to the songs.

I like the challenge and working my brain. I think of myself as a guitar player who sings, not a singer who plays guitar. I feel it is important to play in all keys.
Hi alnico

My gigging partner & I have used one player playing open strings, and the other capoed in a different apparent key (both sounding in the same key) to stagger our parts.

I've seen amateur bands where there are two guitarists playing exactly the same thing. I'm always thought they should let the best one play and the other one join a different band.

During the non-amplified 'Folk Era' it made sense to amass more guitars…especially when singing in larger venues where the audience was encouraged to sing along and could easily drown out a lone-acoustic-player.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 12-31-2020, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi alnico

My gigging partner & I have used one player playing open strings, and the other capoed in a different apparent key (both sounding in the same key) to stagger our parts.

I've seen amateur bands where there are two guitarists playing exactly the same thing. I'm always thought they should let the best one play and the other one join a different band.

During the non-amplified 'Folk Era' it made sense to amass more guitars…especially when singing in larger venues where the audience was encouraged to sing along and could easily drown out a lone-acoustic-player.
Our drummer wants to sing "Brokenheartsville". The recorded key is Bb. I will play in open Bb and our other guitar player will capo.

1984 Carvin LB-40 bass
1986 Carvin DC-125 two humbucker
1996 Taylor 412
La Patrie Concert
2012 American Standard Telecaster
1981 Carvin DC 100
Harley Benton LP JR DC
Bushman Delta Frost & Suzuki harmonicas
Artley flute
Six-plus decade old vocal apparatus
Old 12-31-2020, 10:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alnico5 View Post
Our drummer wants to sing "Brokenheartsville". The recorded key is Bb. I will play in open Bb and our other guitar player will capo.
Hi alnico5

Wish I could hear it!

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 01-03-2021, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bard Rocks View Post
A guitar duo sometimes has one use a capo and the other without, calling it "guitar harmony". Maybe that's a misnomer off sorts, but it gets you a range of sound you won't get another way.
Perhaps the most famous example of this:

Martin D12X1AE
LaPatrie CW Concert

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write