The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 02-02-2024, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJVB View Post
Let's take a step back here while the OP waits for the replacement C12 to arrive and go back to the beginning:

No offense intended, but how well do you know what you're looking for if new to CGs, and which make/models did you try (or what price range)?

Hence my question: exactly what are you looking for? A real classical guitar to play classical music on and that has a traditional sound? But then the question becomes a bit: what kind/period/style of classical music? Are you more after the Spanish sound (e.g. flamenco)? Do you play with or without nails? How important is dynamic range to you, and the capacity to fill a venue with purely acoustic (unplugged) sound?

That latter aspect would be an important reason to get a CG because a priori they're designed and built for that kind of use. Idem if you're after a traditional CG sound (but be aware that has been an evolving concept for the approx. 1.5 centuries that the CG-as-we-know-it exists). For anything else you can probably just as well get any kind of nylon-strung guitar that ticks the boxes for you. The Breedlove ones may be of interest given your current experience with the Cordoba (from what I understand they QC all instruments in the US). Something like the Cort OC8-Nylon may also be worth looking at (marketed as a "modern classical" IIRC; I'd love to sample one myself).

---
No offense taken Having been playing steel string guitars for 50 years now I fully understood there was a pretty stark difference between nylon and steel but never seriously played a classical guitar until now. I've been playing Ragtime since the late 70's, then evolved into wedding bands (top 40 stuff), then some blues, etc. So I was experienced at fingerstyle playing.

While shopping I went to almost every guitar store local to me. Some were big chains and some were not. I played most of the common models and some crossovers. Alhambra, Yamaha, Taylor, Kremona, Takamine etc. Price range was up to 2k. Of all the ones I played I kept going back to the Cordoba for its sound quality. Unfortunately I never played the C12 prior to purchasing it.

Prior to this, the last guitar I purchased was an Ovation Elite 1768 around the late 80's. So I have been out of the marketplace for some time.

I don't play professionally but would like a traditional sounding guitar that is playable by the standards I am used to. Upon searching for one I was very underwhelmed at first. Most had high action which made it difficult, next to impossible to play competently. The sound also threw me off a bit. Especially the G - B & E strings. They seemed to be lacking that ring that I get from steel.

The very simple reason for my post was to get opinions from experienced classical players if the intonation issue was something I would have to work around, accept or compensate for. It seems the consensus from all the good people here was that there was a problem.

So here I am now waiting for my replacement guitar and keeping my fingers crossed that all goes well. I'd hate to return another one.

I truly appreciate all of the advice and education I received from you all. I learned a lot in the past few days.

Last edited by georgeMC; 02-02-2024 at 11:28 AM.
Old 02-02-2024, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgeMC View Post
No offense taken Having been playing steel string guitars for 50 years now I fully understood there was a pretty stark difference between nylon and steel but never seriously played a classical guitar until now.[...] don't play professionally but would like a traditional sounding guitar that is playable by the standards I am used to. Upon searching for one I was very underwhelmed at first. Most had high action which made it difficult, next to impossible to play competently. The sound also threw me off a bit. Especially the G - B & E strings. They seemed to be lacking that ring that I get from steel.
To react on that last bit first: you'll never get that kind of ring. The good thing (IMHO) is that means you don't get the jingle-jangle of too-thin steel trebles played down low, the bad thing you won't get the sweet sounding almost e-guitar like sustain up high. That's the nature of composite material strings and their high internal damping, and AFAIK it takes a really good instrument (well over the prices you cite) to make up for that.
The high action also comes with the territory, and is required if you want to generate acoustic volume (aka "dig in") without getting more buzz than tone. Guitars in stores probably still have the factory action which is usually too high in any kind of guitar (so even less skilled players can try a guitar and not be put off by "all that buzz"). You can take it as low as you want and can go without running into fret buzz.

From the brands you cited, at least Yamaha and Kremona make classicals that should be able to compete with the C12 (the Kremona 90th anniversary has a good reputation, and they're built in a small Romanian family business).

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
It's definitely an issue for the wound strings with a nylon set, the winding material seems to be much more prone to denting. The plain strings are actually pretty strong.
Classical strings are typically wound with silver-plated copper which is indeed very prone to fretwear esp. if you have a heavy left hand. I do have the impression that even brass winding wears faster on a nylon strand core than on a steel core but that could be suggestion (and I still doubt that a bit of initial stretching as you describe will do a lot of harm compared to playing them). Plain nylon strings are thick enough that they can take a lot of abuse, and carbon strings ... well, you can buy those as fishing line (Seagear)

Pickle: Gretsch G9240 "Alligator" wood-body resonator wearing nylguts (China, 2018?)
Toon: Eastman Cabaret JB (China, 2022)
Stanley: The Loar LH-650 (China, 2017)
Old 02-02-2024, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJVB View Post

From the brands you cited, at least Yamaha and Kremona make classicals that should be able to compete with the C12 (the Kremona 90th anniversary has a good reputation, and they're built in a small Romanian family business).
Thanks! I'll definitely keep that in mind if the second Cordoba doesn't work out
Old 02-02-2024, 10:15 PM
Charter Member

For the OP as a data point, and another brand suggestion if you can find one, I was curious after seeing this thread so I decided to check my newish classical out for intonation.

I came across a lightly used Hanika New Century Doubletop online for a very reasonable price. (I also ran into the same issue you did that finding and trying classicals in person is pretty challenging in my area)

At any rate, I love the guitar and apparently they make some great options in your price range, particularly used. (Mine is 5.5k new but I managed to pick it up for about half that)

I decided to check the intonation. I have it strung with Savarez carbons. They are also older than they should be (about 5 months). I also habitually stretch my strings when I string up my classicals. The intonation is spot on at all strings at frets 5,7, 9 and 12.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Tags
classical, cordoba c12, guitar, purchase