The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 07-04-2023, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmalex View Post
Hi, I'm a relatively knew guitar player here trying to get into songwriting. I've played piano much more seriously since I was younger, though I actually find it much more difficult to write at the piano than just strumming along on a guitar.

I agree. Lots of songwriters insist that a keyboard is a better place to create tunes. As in most conversations like this, there are no right answers. Try it all and do what works.

I do find that a change of instrument can open up new ideas. No surprise there, right?

There's just something about the simplicity of the strumming action on the guitar that allows me to focus more in the other parts of the song inside of my head, while also suggesting more rhythmic complexity than I can easily achieve on the piano without a lot more practice.

Yup!

With the piano, there is also the factor of it sometimes feeling like an overwhelming blank slate compared to the guitar. With the guitar, I feel like I can find an interesting chord progression / groove and play that over and over again, just listening to the melody / harmony patterns that start to emerge through the groove.

My question is what you songwriters out there use to jot down your song ideas / licks?

Pen and paper, with a guitar on my lap.

I've tried using some score writing apps, but sometimes I kind of find that I get too bogged down too quickly in perfecting each individual measure when I should just be focusing on the overall song structure first.

I agree again.

Is good ol' pen & paper the way to go?

Again, there's no right answer. I've been writing songs since long before personal computers were invented, so pen/paper/guitar is what I'm used to.

Fuller discolosure: Lots of people were using cassette recorders to capture ideas back in the sixties and seventies. I never did. Never felt the need. Some folks couldn't manage without it.

So it might have more to do with how my brain works, not what tools I can get my hands on. I feel that recording devices distance me from what's in my head. If you're cozy with 'em, use 'em.

I've written hundreds of songs and talked (often online) with lots of songwriters. Some insist on one way, some on another, some agree with me that whatever works for you works for you.

So experiment and see what works.

If so, how do you write down your musical lines, or do those just live inside of your head until you have the lyrics / melody locked down?

They live inside my head if they're any good. If they're not, good riddance!

What I need to write down are the chords. On a complicated song, they're easy to lose track of, and if I have the chords, I know how the tune goes.

Edit: And I do mean besides just actually writing the notes on a blank score. Does anybody have any ideas for a musical shorthand that could help with that?

Once in I while I tab something out. Not often, though. Never learned to write music.
One trend that's been surprising me lately is the number of writers these days who (a) write while recording and (b) don't think it's a finished song until and unless it's recorded.

So what was Mozart? Chopped liver?

Best wishes on your songwriting! It's the greatest escape I've ever come up with.

Last edited by Charlie Bernstein; 07-04-2023 at 02:46 PM.
Old 07-04-2023, 04:48 PM

One other thought for remembering an idea before it goes away: video in selfie mode. Especially if I’m using weird chords, seeing how I played the sketch can be a super helpful reference.

My iPad does a fine job, I just make sure the guitar is in the video frame. Just switch the camera to video mode.

It’s also fun from time to scroll through and see and hear really old ideas that may benefit from a revisit.

Good luck writing!

Dave
Old 07-05-2023, 05:40 AM

I’ve kept notebooks around for years to write down ideas and finish up songs. Supplemented by the recorder app on my phone, it’s a great way to hash out new material.

Lately, since I’ve retired, I do the majority of writing on my iPad. Easier to edit and move stuff around than paper. No special app…I just use Notes.
Old 07-05-2023, 08:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmalex View Post
Hi, I'm a relatively knew guitar player here trying to get into songwriting. I've played piano much more seriously since I was younger, though I actually find it much more difficult to write at the piano than just strumming along on a guitar.
Hi schmalex…
I have a Zoom H1n recorder (bought it for $100USD) which is great for capturing bits-n-pieces which I listen back to later.

The issues for me with writing ideas:
Inspiration hits often when I'm practicing something else
Writing it down is either too hurried or brief and I don't remember what I meant

The recorder is simple, and quick, even if it interrupts my practice for a minute. And the mini-recordings trigger my memory better than what I jot.

At least 75% of my inspired ideas are guitar related not lyrics-centric.

Hope this adds to the discussion…

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 07-05-2023, 03:19 PM

Thanks for all of the replies. Seems like audio recordings sound like the simplest method for most. Maybe I'll look into some kind of looping device.

I really need to get over the idea of needing everything written out on sheet music, as it is with piano, as once I start branching out into anything that doesn't neatly fall into a certain key/scale, it really starts to get more and more complicated and then I'm spending too much time trying to figure out what is going on beneath the scenes, instead of just writing the music that sounds good.

A recorder / looper might also help my wife get more involved, as she is unable to read sheet music.
Old 07-06-2023, 07:00 AM
Charter Member

At this point I'll interject that there is the thinking that if you don't remember it then it didn't stick. And if it wasn't impressive enough for a person to remember it why would anyone else?

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 07-06-2023, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jelly View Post
At this point I'll interject that there is the thinking that if you don't remember it then it didn't stick. And if it wasn't impressive enough for a person to remember it why would anyone else?
Well, if I'm really focused on a song, it'll stick in my mind, but sometimes while working on one song, I'll find I start venturing into alternate chord progressions that sometimes I'll realize actually belong in a different song. Those are the ideas I'm worried about losing if not written down quickly.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write