The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 03-28-2023, 02:14 PM

Default Studio One Pro on sale until the end of March

This may be old news, but I just noticed that Studio One 6 Pro is on sale (in the U.S.) for $279.97 until the end of March.

2012 Martin HD-28V
1984 Martin Shenandoah D-2832
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
Oscar Schmidt Autoharp, unknown vintage
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium
Old 03-28-2023, 03:48 PM
Charter Member

Or if you already have S1 any version you can upgrade for $104 plus tax (normally $149)
So I jumped on that given I was having issues with S1-4 crashing all the time on my Studio computer which I think was because it is on Max OS Ventura ?

Any way working great now and hopefully the got (Pipeline plugin not working over AVB on my Avid Carbon) finally working we will see shortly ..

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 03-28-2023, 04:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Or if you already have S1 any version you can upgrade for $104 plus tax (normally $149)
So I jumped on that given I was having issues with S1-4 crashing all the time on my Studio computer which I think was because it is on Max OS Ventura ?

Any way working great now and hopefully the got (Pipeline plugin not working over AVB on my Avid Carbon) finally working we will see shortly ..
I have been rather impressed with Studio One Pro, having added it as a second DAW four years ago.
Old 03-28-2023, 04:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdelsolray View Post
I have been rather impressed with Studio One Pro, having added it as a second DAW four years ago.
Oh I agree and added it when ever it was version #4 ---A few things I don't care for still (compared to PT) is how it displays send level and handles panning and it does not show the actual bus input on folder tracks . But other than that there are some great drag and drop features. I will be interested to see the new features compared to version 4

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Old 03-28-2023, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Yeah, I waited for the typically Black Friday deal, which never happened, but I was able to buy from an authorized dealer on eBay (advertised at full price with "Make an offer") a week or so later for $120. Not as good as $104, but I have been able to use it for a few more months!

2012 Martin HD-28V
1984 Martin Shenandoah D-2832
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
Oscar Schmidt Autoharp, unknown vintage
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium
Old 03-28-2023, 08:30 PM

I'm pretty sure everyone knows how I feel here but since it's a topic...

From one who has made their living in Pro Tools, over the last 20 years or so, I'd submit Studio One has eclipsed Pro Tools on almost every conceivable level. I'll still take Pro Tools for straight quickness in audio editing but that's it. Studio One is a quicker workflow and its drag-and-drop method is brilliant. It's easier and more intuitive from a workflow perspective, the macro environments are golden, it has a much better midi environment, and is slightly more efficient. It's noticeably less latent and easier to overall manage latency issues. I've always thought my Cubase solution was the best for heavy midi productions but honestly, nowadays, I'm taking Studio One.
Old 03-28-2023, 08:44 PM
Charter Member

Just one voice here (a happy Studio One user since 2.0), but I don’t see a compelling reason to hop to v6 from v5. $104 is attractive, but what do I really gain?

Talk me into it.
2019 Martin D-18, LR Baggs Element VTC
2021 Gibson 50s J-45 Original, LR Baggs Element VTC
Old 03-29-2023, 07:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1j View Post
Just one voice here (a happy Studio One user since 2.0), but I don’t see a compelling reason to hop to v6 from v5. $104 is attractive, but what do I really gain?

Talk me into it.
I don't know what new features of functions 6 might have over 5 no doubt there is info on the Presounus web sight.
No clue I upgraded because my v4 kept crashing and throwing "Studio One quit unexpectedly" errors and listed all this gobledegook computer code . And on 6 it is working again.

At first I thought that it was my UVI Falcon VI that was causing the problem because it kept giving an "Avid Plugsound is not a valid volume" no doubt because the Avid Plugsound library is I assume only AAX format and not VST3.
And I thought it might be the Falcon because that was the VI I using the first time v4 crashed (after updating to Mac OSVentura) .
But even when I uninstalled the VST versions of Falcon so it was no longer scanned when launching S1 it still kept crashing
So then I thought maybe it was a corrupted version of Studio One 4. so I uninstalled it and re downloaded it from my Presonus account and re-installed it .... But no it still kept crashing

SO I suspect that Presonus no longer wanted to support ( i.e. write new driver code) for v4 to work on Mac OS Ventura (given they only list 5 and 6 as compatible).

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Last edited by KevWind; 03-29-2023 at 07:51 AM.
Old 03-29-2023, 09:00 AM

Quote:

Talk me into it.
The list is laid out in detail over on the Presonus site. There certainly is nothing of any grand note by way of V6, at least for me. But there again there is nothing of significance missing in v5. The one update I would love to see is a Pro Tools-style magnifying glass. It's just soo much easier to navigate timelines compared to Studio One. Navigating is really the only function in Studio One that's just plain clunky compared to Pro Tools. I know that's been a feature request for Presonus for some years but no luck so far.

I did update to v6 but primarily to stay on top of the curve, but honestly, I can't say I use any of the new features.
Old 03-29-2023, 06:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Hanna View Post
The list is laid out in detail over on the Presonus site. There certainly is nothing of any grand note by way of V6, at least for me. But there again there is nothing of significance missing in v5. The one update I would love to see is a Pro Tools-style magnifying glass. It's just soo much easier to navigate timelines compared to Studio One. Navigating is really the only function in Studio One that's just plain clunky compared to Pro Tools. I know that's been a feature request for Presonus for some years but no luck so far.

I did update to v6 but primarily to stay on top of the curve, but honestly, I can't say I use any of the new features.
When they release a new version, you can usually upgrade to the current Pro from any prior Pro version. I guess I’ll wait to see what comes out with v7, and then go for it mid-year when the sale happens.
Old 03-29-2023, 07:22 PM

Quote:
When they release a new version, you can usually upgrade to the current Pro from any prior Pro version. I guess I’ll wait to see what comes out with v7, and then go for it mid-year when the sale happens.
You know Bob, years ago I lived out in Topanga Canyon (I'll return when I win the lottery). My next-door neighbor and I, by coincidence, were working on the same project. We became, and remain, good friends. He, in turn, invited me to a BBQ one weekend and low and behold there was a major Hollywood film composer, who lived in Topanga as well, and was just a hangin' out. I went on to be his acquaintance (wouldn't on any level call him a friend) and in so visited his studio several times His studio was stunning on a visual level. From his composer chair, he could see all the down a valley in the canyon, to the ocean, and out to Catalina Island. Easy inspiration for sure.

What I was most moved by however is he was 7 or 8 years behind on both his computer and the version(s) of software he was using. I questioned him and his response was he didn't pay attention to any of the upgrades, he has everything he needs, and his rig makes him lots of money.

Sometimes it makes sense to hold short on upgrades
Old 03-29-2023, 07:51 PM
Charter Member

Quite so. Great anecdote. Something useful — I can’t remember what — came with v5, so I went for it. But I’m happy with it for now. The only reason I’ve jerked my head around at all is that they put it on sale. In the thrall of consumerism.

Likewise, I’ll hold with Melodyne Editor. Its polyphonic capabilities seemed appealing, but the only use I’ve put them to yet turned out bad: I applied it to an acoustic guitar track. I learned the hard way that no fundamental note rings in isolation from a guitar. Change one and maybe you take its overtones with it, or maybe you don’t. What a mess. In any case, I’ll never need to pitch control multiple tracks at once.
Old 03-30-2023, 12:38 PM
Charter Member

Default Boy do I feel dumb and relived

Well I can't believe it was staring me in the face but I could not see it
I finally got the Pipeline plug to work !!!!. I kept thinking the horizontal row of channel numbers in the I/O represented the physical channels (like they are in Pro Tools) but they are not,, they are virtual like the ones you add to the vertical row

In Pro tools on the Avid Carbon I/O the Main out's 1 & 2 are automatically separate from the rest of the output numbering
So setting up them up for my outboard hardware was a snap the Compressor is connected to the Carbon on channels 5 & 6 in and out so they are the numbers I used in the I/O out 5&6 and in 5&6

So in Studio One I/O I completely missed that I had to offset the Output (only) channel numbers by increasing by 2 numbers So that even though the physical Out's and In's have to be the same numbers like In and Out 5 & 6 --- the virtual ones had to be Out 7 & 8 and In 5 & 6 --- DUHHHHH

The good news is v6 is working great and there are a couple new features like sends on FX tracks (which being mostly audio I wouldn't use much) more of a sound design feature I would think ? .

I'm in the process of setting up my templates really like the Pack folder option.. Also I am liking the new (to me) video features given most or all music I do now days is destine for YT video

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Last edited by KevWind; 03-31-2023 at 05:25 PM.
Old 04-03-2023, 03:23 PM
Charter Member

Looks cool. I'm a long time Logic user, but I'd tempted to check out a demo of Studio One, just to see what it offers.

One thing I like about Logic's comping feature is that you can turn off comp mode while viewing the different takes, so you can move specific audio regions left or right. Handy when recording things where you might not be using a click track, like fingerstyle guitar. Does anyone know if Studio One does something similar?
Old 04-04-2023, 08:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anton View Post
Looks cool. I'm a long time Logic user, but I'd tempted to check out a demo of Studio One, just to see what it offers.

One thing I like about Logic's comping feature is that you can turn off comp mode while viewing the different takes, so you can move specific audio regions left or right. Handy when recording things where you might not be using a click track, like fingerstyle guitar. Does anyone know if Studio One does something similar?
Humm have not tried that in fact I haven't tried multiple takes at all yet. But if I am understanding you correctly and you mean slip a clip selection forward or backward in the timeline, in any of the takes ? (which is possible in PT as well ) I am guessing it is likely possible in S1
I was watching some videos about comping in S1 and there are some pretty nifty features

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD