The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-27-2023, 08:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
I've owned or played all the guitars mentioned. For amplification the Cole Clark wins hands down. They Taylor will sound better acoustically. The Angel is the best of the Cole Clark models acoustically due to its lighter build and larger soundhole. The Taylor can sound decent amplified although I always find their signal output to be very low. The Cole Clark proprietary 3-way pickup is the best I've ever played.

I much prefer the Cole Clark all-blackwood models myself. Make sure you buy used. Cole Clarks just don't hold their value so you can buy them for way less than you will spend buying new so if you buy new you'll take a beating when you sell. Also, the Cole Clark's have a satin finish which some don't like. I actually prefer a satin finish. Conversely, the Taylor has a gloss finish and definitely looks prettier. It will also hold its value better when selling.

If you can find one to test, I'd try to play the Cole Clark Angel first. They don't sound bad, just different then most people are used to. But for amplification, they just can't be beat. Maton or Takamine are other great guitars with outstanding pickup systems for great amplification but have a more traditional (and therefore 'better') acoustic tone. They are worthy considerations.
Agree about the resale value but I don’t think Taylor’s sound great unplugged myself, especially the V class ones.

I also don’t think Takamines preamp is as good as the Cole Clark and Maton.

Matons are a good all-rounder for both unplugged and plugged tone but I still prefer my Cole Clark as the body sensor part is great.
Old 03-27-2023, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroUSA View Post
The Cole Clark is much better plugged in IMO.

I have a guitar for stage and one fully acoustic now. Best to keep them separate.
Hi Aaron, what pickup do you prefer for looping?
  • Anthem
  • Cole Clark
  • Maton

Please comment on the mic bleed as far as looping is concerned…
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/
Old 03-27-2023, 11:21 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuki79 View Post
Hi Aaron, what pickup do you prefer for looping?
  • Anthem
  • Cole Clark
  • Maton

Please comment on the mic bleed as far as looping is concerned…
Cole Clark without question as the body sensor is amazing for percussive looping. It sounds like a drum. I use a sound hole plug to reduce the bleed.
Old 03-28-2023, 02:02 PM

You may also want to consider which will hold up better for gigging. Taylors tend to be good at holding up and are easy to repair and normally excel
with intonation and when using Capos seem to excel over other brands. I have no experience with Cole Clark other then testing a few over the years at a few Shops. They look great but never pulled me in soundwise and everyone says they excellent plugged in.
Old 03-28-2023, 02:40 PM

I would be a Taylor guy except for the pickup systems on Cole Clarks and Matons. The ES system just doesn't get it done for my ears. I love my Maton.
#2 Pencil
Various Scraps of Paper
Old 03-28-2023, 05:33 PM
Charter Member

I own a non-cutaway Cole Clark FL-1–and it is awesome plugged in, and is opening up acoustically (Bunya top)—but still not the best I’ve heard acoustically. I auditioned the Angel-2 with a redwood top when I bought mine and it was a little more resonant, but a lot more money, and it’s not one you’d want to beat on hard if that’s your style. I live in San Diego county and it’s Taylor country—you’ll see them at nearly every venue. I also attend and host open mics—the Taylor’s tend to sound pretty good plugged in, but honestly my CC gets way more compliments, plus it’s a cinch to dial in. Another big thing for me is string spacing—the Taylors are just to narrow for me, while the CC is much better (but not my ideal). Also, I replaced my preamp with the latest version and I found it to be an improvement. I’d seek out one with that preamp if you decide to go CC.
Old 03-28-2023, 08:36 PM

I think the CC is a purpose built tool for live performance. The Taylor is a nice acoustic guitar with a decent pickup that most (non professional gigging) people can get along with for church, open mics, personal performances, etc. While the ES2 sounds very nice, it can feedback more readily than purpose built performance guitars.
Old 03-29-2023, 08:09 AM

Agree with most of the comments here. I've owned both Taylors and Cole Clarks. Several things to consider and decide what's important to you:

-Taylors hold their value of you ever need to sell and Cole Clarks will not. I've sold a few Cole Clarks and you practically have to give them away to get rid of them.
- Cole Clarks 3 way pickup system is probably the best out there. This will sound a lot better than the ES2 system if you play live mostly.
- Cole Clarks don't sound great unplugged. Not horrible...just not great. The Taylor will easily win in this area.
- Taylor play very easily and have the best playability out of the box
- Cole Clarks "feel" and play and look differently than most everything else. You may love it or hate it. Best to try one first.
Old 03-29-2023, 02:11 PM

Thank you for your helpful advice and experiences you shared with me. After considering all the options, I have decided to go with the Taylor guitar. While its amplification system may not be as advanced as the Cole Clark, I believe that for my intended use (never playing solo amplified, but always with a band where many nuances would be lost regardless), it is the best choice.

Any suggestions on how to improve its amplified sound? Do I need an intermediate device to connect to a mixer? I'd appreciate your recommendations.

Thank you in advance for your help.
Old 03-29-2023, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davy903 View Post
Thank you for your helpful advice and experiences you shared with me. After considering all the options, I have decided to go with the Taylor guitar. While its amplification system may not be as advanced as the Cole Clark, I believe that for my intended use (never playing solo amplified, but always with a band where many nuances would be lost regardless), it is the best choice.

Any suggestions on how to improve its amplified sound? Do I need an intermediate device to connect to a mixer? I'd appreciate your recommendations.

Enjoy your Taylor! I wouldn't bother buying anything outboard until you've played a few gigs with it and see how the onboard controls work for you. There is a phase switch inside the guitar which is helpful for feedback. Play the heck out of it.
Old 03-30-2023, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davy903 View Post

There are many thread here about improving the ES2's tone. Just do a search and you'll get lots of suggestions. You could start small with just something like the Boss AD-2 or TCH BodyRez pedals and go from there. One of those may be all you need!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Tags
3-way, angel 2, cole clark, expression system 2, taylor 814ce