The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-23-2023, 09:58 AM

Default Boost for solos

I do a solo acoustic act and would like to be able to boost my volume for when I do "lead breaks" to make up a bit for the bottom dropping out. I tried one of those Fender Smolders, and found it horrible. I couldn't get ANY volume boost without a TON of overdrive, even with overdrive on 1. I've been TOYING with the idea of getting one of those popular pre amp pedals I've read about like the Fishman Aura, or LR Baggs but I already use decent guitars (Taylor 314CE, Godin A6 ultra and Yamaha FGX800~). And I don't know if such extravagance and complexity is needed. Another option is a simple boost pedal. I have a beautiful BOSS LV-500 but for whatever reason it doesn't work. I can't adjust the "low" setting, and it just doesn't sound very good otherwise. I'm also toying with just grabbing one of my electric pedals, like a compressor, kind of setting everything neutral and just using it as a "booster".

Any suggestions? SEEMS like a simple problem but I just can't seem to get it solved.
Old 03-23-2023, 10:04 AM

You could get a volume pedal and keep it dialed back a little most of the time. Can do double duty as a mute if you don't have a tuner pedal.

Couch Standards
Old 03-23-2023, 02:37 PM

Here are a couple of ways you could to this:

1. EQ pedal, like Boss GE-7 or SourceAudio EQ2. From threads here on the boards, seems like lots of folks use this pedal for boost. Bonus: Would allow you to shape the tone a bit, for example maybe you want more mids for your solo tone.

2. Compressor pedal -- lots of choices. Bonus: Allows you to squeeze the tone a bit for solos -- also nice.

3. A "cleaner" overdrive. Something low gain or even fully transparent. And then set the gain on the low side (but boost the volume up) so that when you hit the pedal, it's an overall volume boost. Bonus: You get the tone shaping of the OD pedal, assuming you like it.

4. Get an acoustic preamp / DI like the Fishman, Baggs, or Boss units. They all have boost buttons, with an adjustable amount of volume boost. On the Boss unit, you can also adjust the boosted tone, and / or, combine it with a little compression. Bonus: You get EQ, tuner, DI, and other features.
Old 03-23-2023, 03:20 PM

Get this:

https://www.tcelectronic.com/product...odelCode=P0DDA

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 03-23-2023, 05:40 PM
Charter Member

Step in close to the mic'. That's how the acoustic guitar "lead break boost" has been handled for 70+ years, and it is still a good option!

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Old 03-24-2023, 03:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStarfish View Post
Here are a couple of ways you could to this:

1. EQ pedal, like Boss GE-7 or SourceAudio EQ2. From threads here on the boards, seems like lots of folks use this pedal for boost. Bonus: Would allow you to shape the tone a bit, for example maybe you want more mids for your solo tone.

2. Compressor pedal -- lots of choices. Bonus: Allows you to squeeze the tone a bit for solos -- also nice.

3. A "cleaner" overdrive. Something low gain or even fully transparent. And then set the gain on the low side (but boost the volume up) so that when you hit the pedal, it's an overall volume boost. Bonus: You get the tone shaping of the OD pedal, assuming you like it.

4. Get an acoustic preamp / DI like the Fishman, Baggs, or Boss units. They all have boost buttons, with an adjustable amount of volume boost. On the Boss unit, you can also adjust the boosted tone, and / or, combine it with a little compression. Bonus: You get EQ, tuner, DI, and other features.
I have various boxes to achieve this but if I were in the OP’s position I’d go for #2 for maximum simplicity/effectiveness.
Old 03-24-2023, 07:01 AM

The boost function on many acoustic preamps is nice if you just want more volume to your basic tone for solos. I have used the Radial PZ Pre and the boost was nice... If you want a slightly different tone with more volume for your solos to make it stand out a bit, the EQ pedal works well as long as it has a volume slider, like the GE-7. I tried the Smolder too and absolutely hated it. I currently use a Greer Lightspeed pedal.. transparent overdrive that works well with certain acoustics. Every guitar will act differently with each pedal. The Greer works for me.
Old 03-24-2023, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Currie View Post
yep have one, it is exactly the trick for this

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 03-24-2023, 10:33 AM

TC Cinders low gain OD

www.tupelolime.com
https://tupelolime.bandcamp.com/
Old 03-24-2023, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin, Wales View Post

Step in close to the mic'. That's how the acoustic guitar "lead break boost" has been handled for 70+ years, and it is still a good option!
In my high school "stage band" the director has the soloists stand up. They didn't play any louder, but the audience knew where to direct their attention. I'm guessing Jerry Lee Lewis was in his high school's stage band.

Couch Standards
Old 03-26-2023, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmp View Post
yep have one, it is exactly the trick for this
Was about to post the same pedal.
06 Taylor Koa T5
09 Takamine 12 string
11 Taylor NS24ce-LTD
13 Gibson Les Paul Standard
14 Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass
16 Taylor 524ce Mahogany
16 Taylor GS Mini Mahogany
17 PRS SE Custom 24
23 Taylor GS Mini Walnut LTD

---------------------

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification