The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 03-22-2023, 02:22 AM

Default Foot-stool vs Guitar Support

Raised as a child in classical with footstool, but even though I'm not playing classical nowadays, I play this way and am comfortable with it.

I've seen some of the support systems out there (De Oro, etc) and want to know if it's a worthy transition...

Thx!
Old 03-22-2023, 05:06 AM
Charter Member

I believe the support systems from NeckUp and DeOro (and similar others) are way more comfortable and more user friendly than a foot stool. Some are concerned the suction cups could damage the finish of the guitar but if the finish is polyurethane, not an issue. None of the guitars I list below have any isses with a NeckUp. TBH, I could not play without it.

When I used a foot stool, it irritated my lower back. Not for me.
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)
Old 03-22-2023, 05:25 AM

I've put Sageworks on all my classical guitars, but still occasionally use a footrest. I find that if I use a variety of positions and methods that saves my back. I have a severe back problem that I think use of the footstool contributed to. I now have straps on all my bigger steel string acoustics.
Old 03-22-2023, 06:13 AM

I've posted my D.I.Y solution in this forum, as well as a discussion about some of the options available, including footsools, the Gitano support, the Dynarette cushion, and of course, my own solution, which is not for everyone, but so far is the most comfortable for me.

With footstools, sometimes my left leg will get numb. My guitar is finished with French Polish, so suction cups are not really for it. My guitars also has a tornavoz, so those solutions where you glue a magnet inside are not feasible for me.

The Dynarette is nice, but it is bulky and does not fit inside the guitar case. I will mine was a bit taller though.

There is also the guitarlift, which is bulky and expensive, but it seems very comfortable (also uses suction cups).

And of course, straps, which again, are not for everyone and my solution is similar to that, but only requires one strap button in an area that is easy to fix and make it invisible.

Old 03-22-2023, 07:52 AM

I know it sounds sacrilege but straps work really quite well.

I either use a strap or a foot stool. Since I build and repair guitars I have seen a few supports and if I was going to go that route I'd go with the Sageworks. It's a fantastic design imho and easy to set up with multiple guitars.
Old 03-22-2023, 08:35 AM

Default Support for accoustic , non classical player

I have a follow on question. I play acoustic mainly sitting down. Do many acoustic player players that usually play seated use these supports or simply use a strap. Thanks in advance.. Ron
Old 03-22-2023, 08:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonLeach View Post
I have a follow on question. I play acoustic mainly sitting down. Do many acoustic player players that usually play seated use these supports or simply use a strap. Thanks in advance.. Ron

I got a Sageworks for my classical, now I also use it for my steel acoustic. Why not? A second set of magnets was cheap and I swap as needed. In fact I store the lift by just using the magnets to stick to my music stand. Super effective and easy.
Old 03-23-2023, 12:00 PM

Quote:
The problem with playing an acoustic guitar like a classical guitar is that the 14 fret neck sticks out really far. Obviously if you have a 12 fetter that's different. Most tend to play sitting down with the waste of the guitar on the right knee for right handed players.
Old 03-23-2023, 04:55 PM
Charter Member

I've settled on the De Oro after struggling with a strap. A strap is nice and easy, but the guitar wasn't really in a good spot for me technique wise. I tried a footstool years ago and had issues with it.

Youtube! Please subscribe!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 03-23-2023, 07:32 PM

I just got a Woodside support. The device is great quality (you can see where your money went, unlike some other devices). I'm using it for a hybrid flamenco position. I think it could be used in place of any position that involves a raised left leg.
Old 03-26-2023, 09:38 PM

Straps, or perhaps silken ribbons, or woolen cords, have a very ancient history in early guitars. Tied at the top they only require a single traditional pin at the bottom. By moving the lower bout around on the my thigh I can achieve a variety of secure positions. Nothing is more versatile nor traditional.

I have had trouble finding wide silken ribbons so I usually use woven nylon cords from a mountaineering supplies store. Many sizes and color combinations are available so you can match your guitar. Use a slip knot near the headstock for quick adjustment. - Steve
Old 03-27-2023, 04:42 AM

Quote:
I use a strap and always play (acoustic) seated. If I played classical guitar I'd use a strap, too.

The only classical guitar I ever had was also the nicest (i.e. most expensive) guitar I've ever owned and I did use a Neck-Up rather than installing strap buttons. Primarily because I had a pretty good idea I might not stick with the nylon strings very long and I knew potential buyers would be put off by the modification.

The footstool method was apparently designed by old-school believers in the idea that there's no art without suffering.
Singing the I've Wasted My Whole Life Blues
---Warren Malone "Whole Life Blues"
Old 04-01-2023, 03:09 PM
Charter Member

I’ve tried most of the out there and the murata / woodside work best for me with a strap a close second. Suction cups fail or get dirty and can damage finish. My guitars sides are too thick for sageworks / Barnett magnets.

I have a classical with a murata and one with a strap.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical