The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 03-13-2023, 02:28 PM

Default Gone Ampless

Having spent too many years lugging amps around.. over this winter I went ampless....... man this is so cool... any one else here doing this?.. I gig a few times a week and being able to walk into a venue of any size with just a guitar and a pedal board is truly wonderful. Currently running a board that ends with a Mooer Radar set up as a '67 Fender Twin Reverb.For the bigger gigs we do carry some empty cabinets so it at least looks like there are amps The whole band is ampless, including bass

www.tupelolime.com
https://tupelolime.bandcamp.com/
Old 03-13-2023, 02:51 PM

what? you don't miss shlepping a 50+ lb amp around!! !LOL

Can't blame ya on that.

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 03-13-2023, 03:00 PM

You just plug into the P/A mixing desk/board, and thats it? Hmmm, that sounds interesting.

fd
Old 03-13-2023, 03:48 PM
Charter Member

Yes, I was doing this 30+ years ago, but the simulation pedals and modelers available today are so much better.

Good for you!

- Glenn
Old 03-13-2023, 04:11 PM

I used to drag a small vintage tube amp around to mix with my acoustic signal for the dirtier blues songs, but now I'm just using a Origin Effects Revival Trem on my acoustic pedal board.

It simulates the sound of an early 60's brownface Deluxe amp. So you get the amp sound, and you get the bias modulated tremolo sound and is very authentic sounding.

Funny thing, I thought I would just use it on my dirtier songs, and also on some songs that require tremolo, but in it's cleaner setting, it sounds great. So much so, that it's on almost all of the time, and it seems to give my acoustic a slightly richer sound.

Old 03-13-2023, 05:05 PM

I use harmonic trem a lot - on a pedal board I have a Harmonious Monk, but ampless I use one on the FM3. Dobro and trem are a match made in heaven - or hell depending on what you're going for

Last solo show this was the setup into a Red Sound Elis.8 powered cab. Can also just run it direct to a PA, and I can get by without the FC-6. Was using Beard square neck and Eastman archtop for the gig.

“Sometimes science is more art than science…” - Rick Sanchez
Old 03-13-2023, 05:57 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Yeah, I started doing church gigs entirely with the POD 2.0 and Floorboard. I morphed into a POD HD500X that I carried in an Olive Garden bag and eventually moved into the Helix with its fantastic gig bag/backpack.

I do most of my sessions with the Helix these days - guitar in one hand and Helix on my back, plug 'n play.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 03-14-2023, 03:55 AM
Charter Member

I have a pedalboard that I can use for acoustic AND electric… depends on which output I use on the last pedal. I use “through” for the acoustic, or use one of the amp sim settings for the electric.

Old 03-14-2023, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
I do most of my sessions with the Helix these days - guitar in one hand and Helix on my back, plug 'n play.
The Helix is such an attractive product that I'm ready to buy one even though I don't gig anymore.
Old 03-14-2023, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AX17609 View Post
The Helix is such an attractive product that I'm ready to buy one even though I don't gig anymore.

as long as the stage monitoring is "right" they work. if that's not right, they don't.

The gutiar player in my sons band uses one

I did a few walk ons and played some tunes with them during a few shows.

it worked pretty well,, I would have preferred a chance to set my one patches up but what was there got the job done. On a few of the occasions I could hear fine, on one or 2 other times, it wasn't quite as easy to use.

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 03-14-2023, 08:22 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.Lime View Post
Having spent too many years lugging amps around.. over this winter I went ampless....... man this is so cool... any one else here doing this?.. I gig a few times a week and being able to walk into a venue of any size with just a guitar and a pedal board is truly wonderful. Currently running a board that ends with a Mooer Radar set up as a '67 Fender Twin Reverb.For the bigger gigs we do carry some empty cabinets so it at least looks like there are amps The whole band is ampless, including bass
I’ve been interested in going amp-less (solo, with looper) and hoping to find a modeler that gives you the Classic clean fender sound with just a tiny bit of break up when pushed.

The Moore Raider is pitched as a cab simulator but the vids i checked out shows it to be a full fledged Amp Sim/modeler. Thanks for putting on my radar. Do find that it would work well as a stand-alone peddle without any others in the signal chain

I just picked up a Boss RC-600 looper which has some amp modeling, but have not done a deep dive yet.
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 03-14-2023, 08:35 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by AX17609 View Post
It is fantastic. I've still got my amps but they don't get much playing time. At home I do run the Helix into a Leslie cab and a Marshall amp to monitor, just because I haven't set up studio monitors in my guitar room.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 03-14-2023, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbroady View Post
I’ve been interested in going amp-less (solo, with looper) and hoping to find a modeler that gives you the Classic clean fender sound with just a tiny bit of break up when pushed.
I've got the UAFX Dream '65. It can definitely do that and a lot more.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_3923.jpeg (128.3 KB, 169 views)
Fender EJ Strat

Last edited by joeappel; 03-17-2023 at 01:13 PM.
Old 03-14-2023, 08:55 AM
Charter Member

Congrats, and let us know when your PhD in sound design is bestowed upon you! Just kidding....I'm still learning my HX-Stomp after well over a year of playing (and actually reading the manual!!) I now understand why there are "online academies" to learn this stuff!
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 03-14-2023, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
Congrats, and let us know when your PhD in sound design is bestowed upon you! Just kidding....I'm still learning my HX-Stomp after well over a year of playing (and actually reading the manual!!) I now understand why there are "online academies" to learn this stuff!
I learned how to use my HX Stomp through Groove 3 FX https://www.groove3.com/tutorials/Li...tomp-Explained

Last edited by rockabilly69; 03-15-2023 at 11:09 AM. Reason: corrected spelling and added link

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars