The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 03-02-2023, 03:13 PM
Charter Member

Default Have upgraded to Mac OS Ventura

So I did update my studio iMac (in signature line below) to OS Ventura 13.2.1

And I have to say there are mixed results for me especially since the main reason I upgraded was to take advantage Of the Continuity Camera feature.

This feature allows you use your iPhone as the web cam on a Mac computer
If your Mac is on Ventura and you iPhone has the latest 16 iOS update

Now the first disappointing thing ::: I mistakenly assumed (ya I know ) that I would be able to shoot 4 K video from iPhone and have it go to my directly to Mac - either Quicktime Movie or Photo Booth on the iMac.
And while it does send the video to either of those apps directly (saving me one step) It does not record to either app in 4k,, it is only 720 in QT and 1080 in Photo booth which I can do from the mac built in web cam ...

I like some of the features but having System Settings (formerly System Preferences) only availabe in List view is going to take some time to get used too

As far as Pro Tools (with the disclosure It is only supported to OS 13.1.0 and I am sill on 2022.10) but on this version it does not load any faster, maybe even a few seconds slower .

And there is an annoying thing happening when I have the multi tool selected
and am in playback when ever the scrolling/playhead line is visible on the screen,, the cursor keep flashing between the cursor arrow and the multi tool-- hand or selector icons and when you stop moving the cursor it only shows th cursor arrow.. it still seems to work as expected if you in the right vertical location on the track but I do not remember this being the case in Monterey ???

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 03-03-2023 at 10:36 AM.
Old 03-02-2023, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
So I did update my studio iMac (in signature line below) to OS Ventura 13.2.1

And I have to say there are mixed results for me especially since the main reason I upgraded was to take advantage Of the Continuity Camera feature.

This feature allows you use your iPhone as the web cam on a Mac computer
If your Mac is on Ventura and you iPhone has the latest 16 iOS update

Now the first disappointing thing ::: I mistakenly assumed (ya I know ) that I would be able to shoot 4 K video from iPhone and have it go to my directly to Mac - either Quicktime Movie or Photo Booth on the iMac.
And while it does send the video to either of those apps directly (saving me one step) It does not record to either app in 4k,, it is only 720 in QT and 1080 in Photo booth which I can do from the mac built in web cam ...

I like some of the features but having System Settings (formerly System Preferences) only availabe in List view is going to take some time to get used too

As far as Pro Tools (with the disclosure It is only supported to OS 13.1.0 and I am sill on 2022.10) but on this version it does not load any faster, maybe even a few seconds slower .

And there is an annoying thing happening when I have the multi tool selected
and am in playback when ever the scrolling line is visible on the screen the cursor keep flashing between the cursor arrow and the multi tool-- hand or selector icons and when you stop moving the cursor it only shows th cursor arrow.. it still seems to work as expected if you in the right vertical location on the track but I do not remember this being the case in Monterey ???

Are you getting the display issues with Pro Tools (meters & menus)? I'm hearing that a lot with Ventura.

1927 Martin 00-21
1986 Fender Strat
1987 Ibanez RG560
1988 Fender Fretless J Bass
1991 Washburn HB-35s
1995 Taylor 812ce
1996 Taylor 510c (custom)
1996 Taylor 422-R (Limited Edition)
1997 Taylor 810-WMB (Limited Edition)
1998 Taylor 912c (Custom)
2019 Fender Tele
Old 03-03-2023, 10:32 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DupleMeter View Post
Are you getting the display issues with Pro Tools (meters & menus)? I'm hearing that a lot with Ventura.
I will check I had not heard/read anything about that..

No I am not noticing any issue with menus or meters.
The meters appear to be working as normal and I can click on the meters themselves and get the dropdown window with the selection of all the meter options in Ultimate and they change as selected ????

The drop down menus are slightly blurred transparent (but if I remember correctly thats been that way for a few versions) but in any case working as normal

I have two displays my 27" iMac and my older 27" Apple Cinema
The display options seem to be the same they both look normal
They both launch in the size state they were saved in . i.e. partial screen , full screen or full screen with dock and header showing

So far the only thing I am seeing is the flickering cursor and multi tool icon thing while palying back

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Old 03-03-2023, 10:15 PM

Quote:
So far the only thing I am seeing is the flickering cursor and multi tool icon thing while palying back

I just heard about the flickering cursor from a colleague. That's too bad.

1927 Martin 00-21
1986 Fender Strat
1987 Ibanez RG560
1988 Fender Fretless J Bass
1991 Washburn HB-35s
1995 Taylor 812ce
1996 Taylor 510c (custom)
1996 Taylor 422-R (Limited Edition)
1997 Taylor 810-WMB (Limited Edition)
1998 Taylor 912c (Custom)
2019 Fender Tele
Old 03-04-2023, 08:20 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DupleMeter View Post
I just heard about the flickering cursor from a colleague. That's too bad.
Well the good news it is still functional and is just more an annoyance than an issue..
So far the only time I have noticed it is when playing through a vocal and wanting to highlight select specific sections to create clips to adjust the clip gain
It still actually highlights the section but as I noted instead of showing just the selector icon,,, it is flickering the cursor arrow icon with both the grab and selector icon instead. I suppose if it annoys me enough I can always revert back to Monterey....Given the whole Continuity Camara thingy is disappointing IMO

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Old 03-04-2023, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Well the good news it is still functional and is just more an annoyance than an issue..
So far the only time I have noticed it is when playing through a vocal and wanting to highlight select specific sections to create clips to adjust the clip gain
It still actually highlights the section but as I noted instead of showing just the selector icon,,, it is flickering the cursor arrow icon with both the grab and selector icon instead. I suppose if it annoys me enough I can always revert back to Monterey....Given the whole Continuity Camara thingy is disappointing IMO
Kev, the simple fix right now for the flicker issue, until it's formally addressed by Avid, is to simply resize the screen, or screens, you're working on. Just a quick corner nudge will stop the flickering.
Old 03-04-2023, 11:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Hanna View Post
Kev, the simple fix right now for the flicker issue, until it's formally addressed by Avid, is to simply resize the screen, or screens, you're working on. Just a quick corner nudge will stop the flickering.
Hey thanks a bunch Joseph

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Old 03-05-2023, 07:22 AM
Charter Member

OK I can confirm as per Joseph's post,, just nudging the corner of screen in or out , does indeed seem to fix the flickering and you then get the appropriate multi-tool icon showing steady (based on the vertical position of the cursor in the track i.e. grab tool in the lower 1/2 and select tool in the upper 1/2)

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD